PDA

View Full Version : '85 T3 starting issues...

zagames
10-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Well, my T3 had been sitting for quite some time until recently. I cleaned the gunk out of the carb, drained the tank, installed a new plug, and converted it to a thumb-throttle. When I mixed some new fuel and kicked it over for the first time, the thing ran like a dream. I rode it around for a good 30 minutes. The next day I got it out and kicked it over. She ran for about 5 seconds then petered out. I continued trying to start it and (maybe) flooded the poor thing. Today I got it out and the same thing. I cleaned the carb again and made sure everything was adjusted right and installed another new plug. Put everything back together and it ran for about 5 seconds. This time when I continued trying to start it, it ran for 3-5 seconds every time. After about 30-35 times I got tired and gave up. What can I check next? I wouldn't think the reeds or timing could be off, but I'm not certain... Thanks,
Zach

fabiodriven
10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Sounds like a classic stator problem to me.

zagames
10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
I thought about ordering a new one but I need to be able to justify the price... Besides, the bike has very few hours on it so I'm not sure how the stator could be bad already.

fabiodriven
10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Is it the original exciter coil? Do you know the age of it if it's not original?

zagames
10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Yes, everything on the bike is original. (mechanical anyways) Except for a reduced 1st gear. But I really don't think there are even 50 hours on it.

Addicted
10-04-2011, 08:09 PM
ya but its still 30 years old...

fabiodriven
10-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Addicted is right. If you're running the original flywheel I would replace that IMMEDIATELY. The glue that holds the magnets on deteriorates and will send your magnets crashing into your stator.

just ben
10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a classic stator problem to me. sounds about right. you can check the stator without taking anything apart(see manual) I went through two this summer, currently looking to have one custom wound locally since I think all that are available are junk!

zagames
10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I'll go through my manual and hopefully figure something out. I really want to avoid spending $200 on a new stator and flywheel if at all possible. Guess I'll check out the reeds and timing while I'm at it... Thanks to everyone for helping out,
Zach

fabiodriven
10-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm willing to bet there isn't anything wrong with your reeds and your timing isn't going to move on its own.

just ben
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I'll go through my manual and hopefully figure something out. I really want to avoid spending $200 on a new stator and flywheel if at all possible. Guess I'll check out the reeds and timing while I'm at it... Thanks to everyone for helping out,
Zach125.00 for a ricky stator which will be trouble free forever and 39 bucks for the coils.or if the flywheel is still decent jeswinehart will encase the magnets to prevent them from coming unglued,I think that is in the 40-50.00 range but you would have to contact him to be sure

jeswinehart
10-04-2011, 10:26 PM
132966132965Yeah, I am leaning towards ignition coils (there are 2 stacked one on top of the other).
Like Ben said, you can buy the coils and put them in your self for 40 dollars or under.
You don't need a new backing plate or lighting coil.
If and when you are ready for your oem fly wheel to be re-worked (50 dollar shipped exchange) this is what I do to them.
I suppose you could have a floating magnet, or a partial slipped (slipping) flywheel key, but tend to agree with Fabio, it ain't self adjust back to normal, then go out of whack and self adjust to stock when off. Once off, it more then likely is just gonna be off.
Coils (any coils) on the other hand, well they are eletrical and who the heck knows.

zagames
10-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Hmm, well I was browsing ebay earlier and found the coils for $40 like you all said, but I just got on to order them and I can't find the item for the life of me. Guess I'll try out my parts' coils and see if they make any difference. I'm not sure if they're any good though. After they fail to impress me, I'll attempt to find the item again. I've got a few flywheels I can send you john, but can't afford to do them all at once. I'll get in touch with you later about them. Those re-worked ones are cool, I'm very interested in the process... Also if I put in new coils, obviously butt-splice the connections, but would I also need to shrink-tube them? And finally, jeswinehart, your signature link doesn't work.

zagames
10-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Nevermind, the coils are back online and I ordered myself a set. $38.80 using my 0.20 in ebay bucks. lol. Doesn't look like they'll show up for this weekend, really hope one of my extra sets will work out temporarily...

Swinger
10-05-2011, 12:31 AM
I would inspect your fly wheel good before installing it after putting new coils in,....just incase. Would hate to see it come apart and ruin your new stuff and waste valuable time! Mine went and didnt even look bad at all, took out my coil too. Sometime your just better being safe than sorry but I can understand just wanting it together to go riding too.

just ben
10-05-2011, 08:02 AM
I hope they have a bunch of the coils in stock I ordered a set last night too.