PDA

View Full Version : 110 chain tensioner help please!

bnz 41
10-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I have an 82 honda 110. I've been having some trouble with the chain. First the brake bracket that holds the opposite end of the chain tensioner was stripped. I got a new tensioner and brake bracket from ebay and put it on. The chain jumped off the sprocket again and when I was looking at it, it seems like the tensioner is further out than the drive sprockets. This seems to be causing the chain to want to ride up onto the sprocket and eventually to come off. At first I thought that I just installed it wrong but I looked closely and the tensioner is right up against the side of the trike. Anyway this ruined by rear sprocket so I put on another from a parts bike I had laying around. I don't want to mess it up more than I already have so I thought I would ask for some help. Any ideas how to align the tensioner with the sprocket? I thought about just trying to bend it in but there has got to be a better way right?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bnz 41

Vealmonkey
10-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I wish you had posted pics of your problem, it would help me to understand it better. Have you tried to download a shop manual off line to see if maybe your parts aren't installed wrong? We need better info and pics to help see what's going on.

bnz 41
10-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I did download the manual, and it seems to indicate that I put everything on correctly. I will see if I can get some pics. It's strange, the tensioner sprocket is about a quarter inch farther out (left from the rear) than the rear drive sprocket. Does this make any sense? I was thinking that grinding the protrusion where the tensioner shaft goes would allow me to move the tensioner farther inboard and line everything up.