PDA

View Full Version : ??Westcoast swingarm linkage clearance

rjs89ia
10-01-2011, 08:07 PM
This is gonna be a story but ill try to keep it simple with a little bit of history about the bike. Back in late 2009 shortly after I bought my 85R(2nd owner), my friend became a 2nd owner of an 86R. Low and behold his 86 was fitted with a 2+ westcoast swingarm, at the time I was still a newb and knew little about the swingarm but knew that it wasnt a cheap one. After some research I figured out what it was and knew it was a nice buy for only 1000 bones. The worst hit only after the 2nd or 3rd ride in which it exploded the piston and has since left the bike sitting in pieces. Earlier this year my friend decided to (for free) give the trike to me because he had lost interest and really didnt have the time or patience to fix it. Well now 8+ months later I find myself finally startin to mess with this thing, and it looks like the the swingarm's been there since the 80's the bike is mostly stock with the exception of a few parts missing ( skidplates, airbox lid and intake tube and a few other pieces). The swingarm has been mounted in the second hole from the top for what looks like its entire time being on the bike which makes a really high stance, I disassembled the link and fitted it in the lowest hole on the inserts to lower the stance of the trike and after that I noticed that the grease zerk on the shock link was rubbing on the cross tube in the rear. This brings me to my question, We're these made to be ran with an aftermarket shock link or is it just normal to have the grease zerk rubbing on the swingarm like that? Its a little close for comfort and I'd be a little ticked if it busted off the zerk in that link. Any suggestions would be great. There should be some pics with this too.

rjs89ia
10-01-2011, 08:11 PM
sorry if any of you guys were trying to reply to this in the open forum I wanted to get it over here asap and delete it from over there

Red Rider
10-01-2011, 08:46 PM
It looks like the link is mounted/oriented properly. You might be able to flip the link over to gain better clearance, but that might cause clearance issues with the zerk fitting on the other end. Another possibility would be to swap the link end-for-end, once again watching the zerks for clearance. You could also remove the zerk fitting & plug the hole. Or, as a last resort, remove the zerk, weld up the hole, & drill/retap a hole for the zerk fitting in a better location.

KASEY
10-01-2011, 09:17 PM
what he said!!! just flip it till it works...

rjs89ia
10-01-2011, 11:43 PM
alright ill try flippin it around, if that doesnt work im sure i can find some fine thread bolt to fit in the zerk hole

Dirtcrasher
10-02-2011, 01:05 AM
You can plug it with a set screw, but you can grease it up yet merely flip it around and your golden............