PDA

View Full Version : Service Honda business practices rant

Frankencelery
09-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I used to like these guys...I really did. But something like this has happened with the last three orders I've placed, and I decided it was time to share this to warn everyone about what I think is a shady business practice.

Last night I ordered 2 OEM 250SX tires, which were about $52 each. When I got to the shipping part, it said my shipping would be $20, so I placed the order and got a confirmation. On another thread I joked last night that they would probably contact me to say they couldn't get the tires or there would be some other problem with my order. I really wish I'd been wrong, but here's the email thread:

>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM, <address_removed@servicehonda.com> wrote:
>> > There is an issue with your order. The website under quoted your
>> > shipping rate. Due to the size of some of your parts. The shipping came
>> > out to be $50.00. Please let me know if you still want to place the order.
>> >
>> > Thank You
>> >
>> > Mike

MY REPLY:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Kevin Ottum <address_removed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I can't say I'm surprised. This is a common occurance at Service
>> Honda. I thought the price was pretty good, but I posted on an ATV
>> web forum that I fully expected to hear from you today that it would
>> cost more. I am very disappointed to be proven right in this case.
>>
>> Please cancel my order. I will place an order (now and forever) with
>> somone who can fulfill it at the promised price.
>>
>> Kevin Ottum

HIS REPLY:

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM, mike tierney <address_removed@servicehonda.com> wrote:
> I am sorry you are unhappy with UPS'S shipping rates. The parts you ordered
> are large items, It also clearly states on are website that are prices are
> subject to change. The order will be cancelled

So there it is. "I'm sorry you are unhappy with UPS's shipping rates", or "I'm not responsible for what's posted on our website". The pattern with them is to not keep their inventory up to date, and now their shipping prices. He sited the "prices subject to change" disclaimer as an explanation, but nowadays shoppers expect that companies that do business on the web keep their inventory and prices up to date. Everyone has a mishap from time to time, which is why I've continued to try to order from them. The first two times they let me place orders for parts they didn't have and couldn't get. This was the first time they tried to raise the price after the order was placed.

I always used Service Honda instead of Bike Bandit because they were cheaper, but at least Bike Bandit always ships me what I order. 'Nuff said. No more business with Service Honda for me.

dirtwheels
09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I agree. They started doing the same to me on every order so I refuse to use them now. Same pattern. I work at a place that does a lot of UPS and Fedex shipping so I know the rates and Service Honda is more than double what they should be even at full retail and you know they get volume discounts for all they ship so they are full of it.

dcreel
09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I just ordered and received an order quickly with no issues from Service Honda this week. I have ordered a lot of parts from bikebandit only to be told they didn't have them. I still order from both of them. With the older parts we need, being told that the parts aren't there seems to be closer to the norm.

Having worked at amazon.com for almost 8 years keeping track of inventory is difficult at best and sometimes sh!t happens. I also ordered a $1500 treadmill from walmart.com last week for $499. I knew they wouldn't come through with it, but I thought who knows. I got the e-mail 2 days later that it was a screw up on-line. No real skin off my nose, and I got a $50 gift card out of the deal.. :lol:

It sucks when it happens, and I'm sorry it happened to you.

honda200x1987
09-30-2011, 09:49 PM
What? You pay for shipping? I have never paid one cent when I order my parts. Service honda sucks and so does bikebandit, their prices are Too high on a lot of their parts.

redskinman
09-30-2011, 10:10 PM
then how are you getting free shipping?

brd812
09-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Its the nature of the beast.. I work retail and I see it everyday. I'm heading on vacation Sunday and ordered tires last Wednesday on Motosport.com and I still haven't gotten them. I guess thats what you get for free shipping and 3 day delivery. ha ... I knew T-9's and tires for 134 was to good to be true. I guess they will be sitting here when I get back. Baby not gettin new shoes for this vacation. Oh well Michigan sand can't wait on them.

bkm
09-30-2011, 11:15 PM
I loved the short time that Rocky Mountain sold OEM parts, because they still had the over $99 free shipping. Its not hard to spend $99 on bike parts but that didn't last to long.

TatTooL23
09-30-2011, 11:48 PM
I order from service Honda fairly often and u have never had any issues yet. Also the cheapest price from the OEM places.

Motorious
10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
When I need tires for my trike or motorcycle, I buy from a local Polaris dealer that has great service and decent prices. Sometimes buying parts off the internet is not the best way to go. When you factor in the free mounting, no shipping fee, and quick delivery times (sometimes they'll even have what I need in stock), it is usually cheaper and waaay more convenient than ordering online.

For smaller or hard to find parts I will hit up ebay or other online vendors (Cheapcycle parts has really good prices, but slow shipping).

bhillis99
10-01-2011, 01:15 AM
I ordered one small bolt from service Honda shipping was $11. One of the guys emailed me and ask me if I still wanted it, I said yes, but why is the shipping so high? He responded back with a very rude response and did not even give a reason why it was so high.

Dirtcrasher
10-01-2011, 01:49 AM
^ Then go to your dealer. They have a minimum. Order to pick, box up, label. They are keeping guys employed...............

They are the cheapest but you guys need to spend 50$ to 20$ or buy big bulky items without paying their shipping.

I love them, just hooked me up in about 8 days. 9.99 shipping. Nice OEM parts.

Tires are huge and bulky, what do you want..........................?

Look around, people want 40$ a pop,to ship, a tire. Find us a better place..........

redskinman
10-01-2011, 07:01 AM
my local honda dealer will match most of the prices on the internet if I show him the link.For smaller stuff I dont bother getting them to match because im not paying shipping.You should ask your local honda place if they will do the same

hublake
10-01-2011, 08:06 AM
If my local Honda dealer can get it, I order from him. I have never been charged shipping and after using him as much as possible they have started giving me a discount. Ebay and internet sellers are my last choice.

Frankencelery
10-01-2011, 05:31 PM
My local dealer said they could get the OEM 250SX tires for $70, which seemed expensive compared to the listed price at Service Honda. Obviously that price looks a lot better now.

Whether it's just me that's extraordinarily unlucky, or I'm just ordering the "wrong parts", my big complaint with Service Honda remains the fact that in the last year, every order I have placed has resulted in an email saying there was a problem with my order. I don't believe it's an impossible task to have accurate inventory and pricing. UPS doesn't change their prices without notice either, so I just don't think there's any excuse.

BTW, although they don't sell OEM parts, Rocky Mountain ATV offers free shipping on orders over $99. Even on tires and wheels.

CaptainRon
10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Why doesn't anyone here mention Dennis Kirk? (www.denniskirk.com)
Free shipping on orders over $100, and parts get to me in two days.
And they have free catalogs.......

oldskool83
10-03-2011, 10:15 AM
tires in boxes ship cheap, tires outta boxes ship expensive. how were they going to be shipped. i only buyfrom bikebandit...price listed on websites is always price i paid...shipping tires too.

denniskirk does not sell oem parts, only aftermarket stuff.

fabiodriven
10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
And they have free catalogs.......

What's a catalog?

MNATC
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I use this place a lot, http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/default.asp some of the harder to find stuff may say in stock (such as the starter button for the '84 BR), but it might not be (it wasn't). I got the fork boots, front dust seals, front dampers, rear brake foot pedal spring, sparkplug boot, and other misc. parts from them. They try to keep it up to date as much as possible, and shipping isn't too bad (USPS). They are cheaper than bikebandit, and the parts arrival time does take some time, so check the disclaimer before you order. If you aren't 100% sure that they might have it, give them a call first. They are good folks and I've used them a lot and never had a problem. Much cheaper than bikebandit for OEM parts!

Jason125m
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
What's a catalog?
Is this a serious question Fabio? :lol:

patblkwell
10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I have found that www.hondapartshouse.com is the cheapest for OEM parts on line. My local Honda dealer matches their prices for me so I don't have to pay shipping. I just pay the local 8% tax on the stuff, works for me :beer

Howdy
10-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I use Westernhonda and 99% of the time they beat ServiceHonda's prices.
Howdy