PDA

View Full Version : I'm blowing smoke for no reson - 2 Stroke Oil Mix- What raito and what kind???

TecateDan
09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
I was out riding with a group of pingers last month and my machine was smoking up a storm. Before you start in on me my motor is in tip top shape and there is no problem with the rings or blow by or anything like that. It seemed like every body else was smoking a lot less and it got me thinking:wondering:wondering:wondering:wondering:w ondering What are these other guys running for oil and at what ratio. My manuel says 20:1 but that was the old castor oil from the mid 80's. I'm still running golden spectra at 50:1 but people of been teliing me at least 32:1 or if your swineheart 100:1 amsoil. Just curious what everybody is running conventional vs synthetic, at what ratio and what type of luck they have with it fouling plugs, blown motors...etc

Oh Yea I got an 85 Tecate with a kx Jug on it

El Camexican
09-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Jetted rich? If it's running good who cares? (besides the skeeters)

dcreel
09-30-2011, 09:20 PM
I've been running Maxima Super-M at 32:1 in my Tecate since I got it in 1987. I have put 2 sets of piston and rings in it in that time. It is a Klemm Research ported KX cylinder on the same bore since 1987. I have never fouled any plugs, it does smoke a little when started then disappears when ridden.. It is getting a little tired and could use a bore and renik.

sblt500r
09-30-2011, 09:34 PM
i use 50:1 belray mc-1. used it for over 10 years, never fouled a plug cause of it or blew an engine.

is your jetting to rich? how about your crank seals? are you burning tranny oil?

TecateDan
09-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Crank case seals are brand new!!!! It may be a tad fat but it runs way to nice to be that far off on the jetting.

jeswinehart
09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
It didn't smoke when I run 100 to one on that top end.
heck often it was more like 100+ to one, somewhere in the 110 - 130 - to one range. Didn't smoke, didn't seize, it just ran good (okay it ran like a raped ape :) thank you)
I would not hesitate to mix and often come close to 150 to 1 amsoil.

Awe hell, here I am IN on a darn oil thead ~ what the heck was i thinking (?)

El Camexican
09-30-2011, 10:46 PM
It didn't smoke when I run 100 to one on that top end.
heck often it was more like 100+ to one, somewhere in the 110 - 130 - to one range. Didn't smoke, didn't seize, it just ran good (okay it ran like a raped ape :) thank you)
I would not hesitate to mix and often come close to 150 to 1 amsoil.

Awe hell, here I am IN on a darn oil thead ~ what the heck was i thinking (?)

I'm no expert, but everything I've ever read from "experts" is that at less that 40:1 you start prematurly wearing your bearings out. The rings can take it, but not the rod bearings. There were lab tests done with castor oil in the 80's pn a CR 250 that indicated about 25:1 made the most power (great seal in the cylinder when things heat up and distort. I've never run less oil than 40:1 but each to their own. I've been a 32:1 guy for years now.

TecateDan
09-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Lots of good info but no consensus ... lol

El Camexican
09-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Lots of good info but no consensus ... lol

Never will be LOL. The relationship between your jetting, how more or less oil effects it (more oil + less gas = engine runs leaner) engine temp, relative air density on a given day, RPM (I could go on for hours) all play a role in how much smoke is coming out the pipe on a given moment. Any chance the bike had been babied on the last ride and that you were hard on it that weekend? If you got it so hot that you were burning old crud out of the pipe that could explain a lot too. I ran GS years ago and I thought it burned pretty clean and that was at 32:1. I'd have thought at 50:1 it would have burned very clean. What does your plug look like? Are there gobs of oil dripping out of your pipe?

TatTooL23
09-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Ok I'll be the one to say it......

Ask Fabio, lol. Or better yet use the search option for these boards.

50:1 ams oil. Never any issues

cr480r
09-30-2011, 11:47 PM
I use Klotz super tech @ 32:1.... no excess smoke once the choke is off. and zero spooge if you have the right pilot jet. As for ratio choice my opinion is the harder you ride, the more oil you need. For example: a young stud at the dunes needs more than a old fart on a trailride. I can afford the cost of 32:1 rather i need it or not, and i see no drawbacks to extra protection

bkm
09-30-2011, 11:49 PM
32:1 Klotz Benol or Royal Purple. Same here as Dcreel, it smokes on cold start and then hardly puffs as it get warm.

Xpress
09-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I bet the oil you're running and your slightly rich jetting is causing your smoke issues, or at least is contributing to it. I noticed my Tecate didn't smoke as much when I got the jetting correct, not that it smoked a lot anyways from the start. Yamalube 32:1.

dcreel
10-01-2011, 12:11 AM
32:1 Klotz Benol

mmmmmmmmm.... Klotz..... I've wanted to run Klotz for the last couple of years.. The smell is so scrumdidlyumptious... It's hard to break away from the Super-M having used it with no problems for so long.. I even have a bottle of Benol on the shelf I've been walking past on a daily basis... I even use Super-M at 40:1 in my weedeater and chainsaw.. lol

bkm
10-01-2011, 12:21 AM
mmmmmmmmm.... Klotz..... I've wanted to run Klotz for the last couple of years.. The smell is so scrumdidlyumptious... It's hard to break away from the Super-M having used it with no problems for so long.. I even have a bottle of Benol on the shelf I've been walking past on a daily basis... I even use Super-M at 40:1 in my weedeater and chainsaw.. lolI love it. I used it back in the day when my dad first bought the bike then it kinda dried up around me way back when, plus being a broke teenager I used what ever I could get my hands on. Now that I have the money to buy good oil I will never go back. I was given a case of Royal purple with a Banshee I bough a few years ago and have a lot of it still left but I don't think I will switch to it once I'm done with it. I really like it, but if I had to pick it would be Klotz.

Like you said there is something about the smell of 110 octane and Klotz Benol that just puts me in a good mood. I run that in my ESR 295. Everything else from the Banshee down to the leaf blower gets 32:1 93octane Klotz/Royal Purple.

I know its hard to fix something that isn't broke, but try it you may like it.

slaughter
10-01-2011, 01:03 AM
when i bought my trike i got a bottle of mix from the shop and they said it was good for 5 gallons but it started bogging down and i thought it was the ratio (since i didnt actually know what it was)so i thinned it out and long story short it turned out to be a clog in the jet and then i broke a rob baring and after getting it all fixed it ran awesome with rest of that tank but then i got some yamalube and went 24:1 with 91 gas(its the highest i can get around here)since thats what it says on the bike and in the manual and there is a little more smoke but now it revs out of control at times and read around that it could be from the ratio
by the way its an 85 tri-z

fabiodriven
10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Oh Dan, tell you me you didn't seriously start a thread on oil.... *facepalm*

There are at least two reasons why your trike is smoking, possibly three.

#1- Golden Spectro. Great oil, but smokey.

#2- Jetting could be a tad rich.

#3- Do you remember how much oil was on your air filter? Ya, a lot....

Mosh
10-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Spectro smokes..

100-1 is suicide.

Maxima, Klotz, or Honda oil rules,

Tradco, Quaker State outboard marine oil, Sams gas station 2 stroke oil, are for starting fires. Much like oil threads.

jeffatc250r
10-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Dan, i run klotz benol in the summer and klotz super techniplate in the winter (benol gells in freezing temps) and i run both at 32:1
Often times excess smoke is residual buildup in your pipe, or your muffler packing. Try stuffing new packing in your muff and see what that does for you.
Also for whatever reason, house insulation works the best. Ive tried it all and found that holds up the best. I can only get about 200 miles outta the stuff they sell at the store (fmf pro-circuit) on my street legal cr-500 wherass i can get dbl that from house insulation.
Ultimately, who cares other than the guy behind you if it smokes so long as it runs good.

fabiodriven
10-01-2011, 11:05 AM
His silencer is brand new, and you should have seen the amount of oil on his air filter Jeff. He took the plug out of his airbox and it looked like the Valdez ran aground in my driveway.

HondaHarry
10-01-2011, 11:46 AM
hehe Ill bite. Castor 927 32:1, VP112. Mmmm. If its a 2 stroke and Im putting the fuel in it, that is what it gets.
Whether it needs it or not. I refuse to run this joke of a fuel they call pump gas these days. Its A LOT more expensive
but at least I know what I'm dealing with. And Honda HP2 Might be good oil, but I hate the smell of it. Smells like burning
plastic to me. lol HH

tanks350x
10-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Ultimately, who cares other than the guy behind you if it smokes so long as it runs good.
9 times out of 10, I run in the back, but thats where I like to ride.. I do get a little choked but who cares :lol:

TecateDan
10-01-2011, 06:01 PM
I did ask fabio and his advice was "hey kid I always just poured some oil in the tank. trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro that measuring trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!!!!"

Ok I'll be the one to say it......

Ask Fabio, lol. Or better yet use the search option for these boards.

50:1 ams oil. Never any issues

TecateDan
10-01-2011, 06:06 PM
You are actually the reason I started the thread!!!! I felt bad I smoked you out once or twice that last ride

9 times out of 10, I run in the back, but thats where I like to ride.. I do get a little choked but who cares :lol:

buzzy613
10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
i was at 36:1 but i went to 40:1 cuz i fould 2 iridum plugs today

cr480r
10-01-2011, 07:28 PM
i was at 36:1 but i went to 40:1 cuz i fould 2 iridum plugs today

if you fouled two plugs in one day you have problems other than oil ratio...

tanks350x
10-01-2011, 09:17 PM
You are actually the reason I started the thread!!!! I felt bad I smoked you out once or twice that last ride
Eh, don't worry about it Dan, it's all good...

Dirtcrasher
10-02-2011, 12:58 AM

No worries, his own smoking will kill him much faster..............

buzzy613
10-02-2011, 11:41 AM
well i turned tha air screw out to 2 and its running great did a wot chop, plug is fine, im still going to the 40:1 ratio though

Just-Tri-It
10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Two Strokes are like Cuban Cigars.....they are made to _ _ _ _ _.

tanks350x
10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
No worries, his own smoking will kill him much faster..............
Don't you know I quit over a year ago??