PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to shorten forks

insanecreations
09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
im looking for a thread on shortening uds forks i think im going to find a cheap set of forks and just at attempt it myself.... i dont think it will be to hard

El Camexican
09-29-2011, 10:22 PM
im looking for a thread on shortening uds forks i think im going to find a cheap set of forks and just at attempt it myself.... i dont think it will be to hard

UDS? You mean USD? Suggest consulting some of the high end road race suspension shops. Slavens can do them as well. No one is cheap. If you go the do it yourself route I'm pretty sure there is some cutting and high end TIG welding involved and that that some very exact measuring will be required. I've lengthened a set of GSRX forks by 10mm but that was just some springs and washers. I'm typicaly not scared of modifiying things (shortened a few conventional forks, very easy), but having seen the insides or these USD units I'd want to have a set I was willing to trash before I'd "learn" on a set that cost over $500. Good luck.

insanecreations
09-29-2011, 10:32 PM
lol yea usd, i have found a few sets for under 100 bucks and i have been mig welding for a long period of time but have yet to learn to tig, also have access to a digital axis lathe so measurements for cutting shouldn't be a problem i just don't exactly know were to cut and what to weld

El Camexican
09-29-2011, 10:44 PM
You'll need some special tools to tear them down (can make them yourself too), but after that you should be able to lay the parts all out and decide what needs cutting. Pull up some schematics, I'll bet you figure it out. Worst case, you're out $100. What are they off for that price?

insanecreations
09-29-2011, 10:52 PM
one set is a 90ish yz125, but if i figure out how to do i was thinking about using them for for the z. idk what the other set is for but i can try on them and if i fail ill jus lose 100 on those and still have a good set of 125's

El Camexican
09-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Some guys here have put 85cc KTM (SX I think) forks on Z's Not cheap, but seems the length is good as is.

insanecreations
09-29-2011, 11:23 PM
yes but im looking for something to be able to hold me as im 230lbs so i think heavy duty shortened forks is what i will have to use