PDA

View Full Version : Big red

ChuCk230e
09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
my trans is stuck in reverse but i cant start my atc. does the engine have to be running in order to shift out of reverse and is there a switch that makes it so you cant start with the machine in reverse. the shifter moves a little but not into high/low. it is a 1984 200es if that helps

RIDE-RED 250r
09-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Have you tried to rock it back and forth a bit while trying to shift out of reverse? No, the engine does not have to be running to shift the hi/lo/rev shifter. However, the engine will not start with the electric starter when in gear.

tri again
09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
x2 with ride red

Freee manuals in the world class help section.
Owners manuals are fun to read
and shop manuals are just cool to have.
I use an older version of Adobe pdf reader because it's a smaller program but works for these.

Generally, there should be a 'neutral safety switch' that keeps the starter circuit from
working when it's in gear.
Yupp, rock the trike fore and aft and wiggle the shifter and hi lo thing too.
Something should definitely move.

Just a funny thing I noticed about these is sometimes they wont start with the starter but WILL with the pull start.

butcha gotta get it to neutral first anyway.
Let us know what you find.

ChuCk230e
09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
the sub trans itself is stuck not the foot shift.the electric start on this doesn't work anyways because the previous owner never put the gears or chain or whatever engages the engine because the motor works fine(if anyone has the stuff to fix this or knows where i can get them cheap please tell me) and i might try replacing the cdi since i replaced the ignition coil and that didn't help. i am gonna go through the wiring a little tomorrow maybe and see if i cant find a short