PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off and tired of the ignorance/discrimination against trikes!!

dougspcs
09-29-2011, 07:50 AM
So I live in Canada..home of the free, but strickly regulated with rules!!

I have been looking for places to ride my trikes..emailed all the ATV clubs in my area looking for answers to my questions. None answered..so finally picked up the phone to call some. Managed to reach someone at the Kent/Essex ATV club and asked if trikes were allowed. He started by telling me that trikes were banned and illegal to ride(ignorant azz). I politely corrected him and explained that I owned several and they are all licensed and insured for trail use. He then started to talk about the problems the club has had with 2 wheelers using their trails and tearing them up..I stated that mine was a 3 wheeler and I wasn't a 18 year old kid, but a 44 year old looking for a place to ride with my kids. He then changed his approach and started to explain about the insurance rider they must carry because their trails run over mostly private land..won't cover anything but 4 wheelers. Man was he trying to get rid of me!!

This whole conversation seemed to set the tone for the rest of the clubs I reached..some were more polite than others. But all the same cock and bull!!

So anyway I hear of this little private club just 25 miles south of me..an their having a 'fun ride' event. But get this..it's a 2 wheeler dirt bike club. So I call and ask if I can attend with a couple of machines for my kid and I. No!! Just 2 wheelers..he says..and also you do realize that those things are banned, right!!

Holy f*&k, here we go again..what is this? Public school..."we don't want the 'brown' kid on our team..he can't play"

Can't we all just get along and play together?

My rant for the day...

Addicted
09-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Ya it's very annoying, I gave up trying to ask to get in places now I just go

fabiodriven
09-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Addicted has just given the absolute right answer to the problem. Show up and see what they have to say face-to-face. If your machine is respectable they will more than likely change their tune. If it's a turd, don't just show up. It gives us all a bad name...

Swinger
09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Thats what Raffa did at the Beaverdale Hillclimb. He asked someone and they said it was ok but when he got there the president of the hillclimb saw the trike and had to inspect it for himself. Raffa let the guy help himself to his cooler and the ride was on.LOL!! Bribery works too!!!

dougspcs
09-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Addicted has just given the absolute right answer to the problem. Show up and see what they have to say face-to-face. If your machine is respectable they will more than likely change their tune. If it's a turd, don't just show up. It gives us all a bad name...

I have done this in the past and had pretty good success..either they just don't pay attention or I talk my way thru. It's just that some of these places are an hour or more away. I don't want to drive this far to get turned away or kick off the trails..

I will try the beer tactic!!

Oh, no worries Fabio..my machines will do the triker brotherhood proud. I take pride in my machines..always in top form!!

El Camexican
09-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Having fled Canada "Land of the free" (yea right) some 12 years ago I hear ya Bud. I was told that what Ontario has done is made it illegal to ride without insurance and that the insurance companies won’t insure trikes, so unless you are on private land you’re screwed. Where are you? Can you get onto the trans Canada snowmobile trail? That might be legal.

Otherwise I suggest you claim you are a Native aboriginal when you ride, that seems to scare everyone off from enforcing the “rules”. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to come to Mexico and ride the wheels off your trike without the hassle. Here's a clip of last weekend’s 400 mile bike enduro. Three wheelers welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-eM0P8oOr8

dougspcs
09-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Having fled Canada "Land of the free" (yea right) some 12 years ago I hear ya Bud. I was told that what Ontario has done is made it illegal to ride without insurance and that the insurance companies won’t insure trikes, so unless you are on private land you’re screwed. Where are you? Can you get onto the trans Canada snowmobile trail? That might be legal.

Otherwise I suggest you claim you are a Native aboriginal when you ride, that seems to scare everyone off from enforcing the “rules”. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to come to Mexico and ride the wheels off your trike without the hassle. Here's a clip of last weekend’s 400 mile bike enduro. Three wheelers welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-eM0P8oOr8

I am in SW Ontario where there is not Crown land..the only land that is free to ride a trike!! The closest crown land is 3-4 hours away..but I do it cause I love it.

And you are correct you have to get insurance/license, but I have found a couple of companies that insure trikes!!

El Camexican
09-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I am in SW Ontario where there is not Crown land..the only land that is free to ride a trike!! The closest crown land is 3-4 hours away..but I do it cause I love it.

And you are correct you have to get insurance/license, but I have found a couple of companies that insure trikes!!

Cool! Post them so people can not only insure their trikes with them, but cars and bikes too. We need to take care of those who take care of us.

Thanks!

jadleybray
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Well why don't you share the info then?

dougspcs
09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
This place for one..pretty cheap also.

Nicole McCann Insurance Agency
State Farm Insurance
17817 Leslie St., Unit 26
Newmarket, ONL3Y 8C6
Phone: 1-866-258-4130
www.nicolemccann.ca

jsf600rr
09-29-2011, 12:14 PM
I am in SW ontario as well and have found that if you have a registered and insured most ontario counties have laws in place that allow off road vehicles to drive on road at reduced speeds. Now we all know trikes aren't banned , if they were we wouldn't have them registered and insured. They were only banned from manufacturing.

So i usually head down niagra region and hit the tracks and ride back roads, alot of these back road are crazy muddy and super fun. I call it the tim hortons parade, any direction you turn from tim hortons on a trail your going to hit another timmys after killing the dirt. This is friendliest region to ride!

I suggest creating a trike friendly club, this forum has tonnes of ontario people and all you need is people and somone to host, get the club registered with ontario and bang...you have access to the gold pass and those clubs can't turn us guys away! Just my opinion. If i had the facilities to host i would, but i live in the burbs.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, I dont know if it would differ in Canada vs the States, but my machines are all insured through Progessive. Give them a try, I would be surprised if a big insurer like them dont have a presence in Canada.

FWIW: as long as Im registered and insured (which i am) I can legally ride my trikes anywhere its open to other ATV's.

WilliamJ
09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
They were never ever banned over in the UK and yet we would go to the local Yamaha shop and try to buy a few bits for the Tri-z - the guy behind the counter says "trike? We are not allowed to sell bits for trikes cause they are BANNED and ILLEGAL". Woah, did he have an attitude problem - and maybe just a touch of envy too? Moron. That's when Slothminx started researching all the interchangeable parts with bikes and quads, just to save those stupid conversations.
Bill

Vealmonkey
09-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow, It must really suck living in Canada. Down here in Baltimore, Maryland in the United States, I have trikes. I'm treated like a celebrity. The City Police hold the door open for me whenever possible. Neighborhood mothers want me to date their teenage daughters. And at my local bar, well, not only do I get free drinks, but almost as soon as I get in the door, women approach me, drop to their knees and orally satisfy me, right then and there. Maybe you should move to the States where money grows on trees and maybe you too can be a celebrity! I hope you realize that I'm not serious. Like there is such a thing as a money tree! LOL Deal with it like everybody else.

El Camexican
09-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow, It must really suck living in Canada. Down here in Baltimore, Maryland in the United States, I have trikes. I'm treated like a celebrity. The City Police hold the door open for me whenever possible. Neighborhood mothers want me to date their teenage daughters. And at my local bar, well, not only do I get free drinks, but almost as soon as I get in the door, women approach me, drop to their knees and orally satisfy me, right then and there. Maybe you should move to the States where money grows on trees and maybe you too can be a celebrity! I hope you realize that I'm not serious. Like there is such a thing as a money tree! LOL Deal with it like everybody else.

Not serious??? WTF??? I already bought my ticket!!!!!

Chazz of Blades
09-29-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm treated like a celebrity. The City Police hold the door open for me whenever possible. Neighborhood mothers want me to date their teenage daughters. And at my local bar, well, not only do I get free drinks, but almost as soon as I get in the door, women approach me, drop to their knees and orally satisfy me, right then and there.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

GeoD
09-29-2011, 07:04 PM
When I joined RAC (Reading Anthracite Company) I was required to have my bike registered and insured. I called my insurance company (Nationwide) and they said they didn't insure three wheelers. I called around and nobody wanted to insure my bikes. Finally I called Progressive and they welcomed me with open arms. $70 a year. When I added my other three wheeler and quad it was an additional $10 per bike! SA WHEAT!! I think Geico insures three wheelers too.

Now for all of you that ride or plan on riding in the NE PA I want to say there's an ATV park named "Lost Trails". Do not go there if you have a three wheeler. They don't allow them. They don't say that on their website but they will be happy to tell you when you reach the gates. A couple of years ago I arranged a ride with the guys on the 350X forum and we planned on going to Lost Trails. I decided to email them first and thankfully I did. After their reply I suggested they post that on their website because people don't want to waste their time, money, and gas only to be turned down at the gate. The ignorant owner ignored me so I started warning the three wheeler community and he caught wind of that and finally messaged me. He said he didn't have to state three wheelers aren't allowed because his site lists the vehicles they allow! He said it was his insurance company that didn't allow them to have three wheelers on their land. He put down RAC for allowing trikes on their land. He ended the message with saying he would never list "no three wheelers allowed" on his website just to piss me off! LOL!! What an Azz!! I replied back saying I would never set foot in his park so he didn't have to do all that for me. I told him to at least be considerate of the other trikers out there. A few months later the park was shutdown. Then they reopened it at another location and they have a new website. Guess what? He still didn't list 3 wheelers aren't permitted!! Eye yi yi. So put that in your memo book. Lost Trails is no good for 3 wheelers!! And the owner is an ignorant Ashttp://www.cool-smileys.com/images/35.gif (http://www.cool-smileys.com/orange-smiley-censored)le!!

As for people talking about 3 wheelers being banned...Well, I don't bother with them. I either walk or ride away. It's just not worth my time or energy. It was just like in the mid 80's when I started driving. I had a Jeep. I got tired of people saying "Don't those tip easy or aren't those things unsafe". I would say "yeah, if you drive them like an idiot. It's not a car!!".

Frankencelery
09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
I've been really lucky here in Iowa. Maybe not as lucky as Vealmonkey, maybe :naughty:, but I was able to get two machines titled and registered, and we've been to 3 different ATV parks so far. They call them Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) parks here, and the DNR guy always checks our tags and always comments on the trike in a positive way. I can't even imagine someone trying to tell me that they're illegal, although I've heard enough of you guys' stories about that.

On a side note, there's one guy locally who has a way overpriced 350x for sale with the following text in his ad: "They stopped production on these due to the insane amount of power they produce. " :lol:

1984 honda 200s
09-29-2011, 08:31 PM
I agree why argue and waist time with a guy thats probably never owned or ridden a trike, sure there ''banned'' but if you can still title them and plate them then thay should be allowed on the trails, there an ATC same thing as an ATV. Up here in Quebec where i live ''On an Island'' the people up here really enjoy seeing an old trike drive by on the roads. For awhile it was only me and my bro, then i found a couple other fellas with trikes. Back when thay first came out, thats all there was up here and now those people gave there trikes to there kids and there still going ! So thay enjoy what we enjoy what thay anjoyed years back. IMO im the only one up here with a well maintained 200s and 185s, and i drive them nearly everyday. No need to ask premission to go on a outfitter place to drive, i drive on the secondary roads since im in the boonies and the odd trail/pitt with no hassle what so ever.

gomer202
09-29-2011, 09:02 PM
In British Columbia Canada everybody loves the trikes but also is the usual arnt those illegal but most think they are cool and where i ride i dont reallly need insurance nobody cares up in the mountains on logging roads

El Camexican
09-29-2011, 09:13 PM
How many members are there on here? Maybe if everyone ponies up with $1,000 we can buy some sort of nasty unfarmable land and declare it... wait for it...Trikesylvania! Est. 2011Pop. 3! Just a thought. I'd pay for it myself, but the stupid lottery guy keeps picking the wrong #$@$ing numbers...

Drummerforu
09-30-2011, 02:07 AM
hahaha Trikesylvania! Thats awesome! Literally made me lol! But seriously it must suck to not live in California! At Glamis, Pismo, Dumont, Trikes are all over the place!

just ben
09-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Now for all of you that ride or plan on riding in the NE PA I want to say there's an ATV park named "Lost Trails". Do not go there if you have a three wheeler. They don't allow them. that would be majestic. it says lost trails trail head or something on the sign. Were you doing something stupid that they wouldnt let you ride? I have taken my trikes there a few times and never had a problem. Infact I was one of 8or9 trikes there last weekend Mr. raffa was another

El Camexican
09-30-2011, 08:33 AM
hahaha Trikesylvania! Thats awesome! Literally made me lol! But seriously it must suck to not live in California! At Glamis, Pismo, Dumont, Trikes are all over the place!

Tell me about it. I've never seen another trike down here exept in old magazines about Baja. There are thousands of quads, almost as many street bikes and a pretty decent amount of enduro/mx bikes and we can ride ANYWHERE exept the designated areas because thats where you'll get your truck and trike stolen at gun point, but I would love to ride with other trikes some day:( I feel like one of those animals in a Disney movie that was raised by humans (mostly blonds with big chests like L. Lohan) but longs to return to be returned the flock:welcome:

Jason125m
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
The rules here are just f**ked in regards to trikes. In terms of riding on side roads ( even in the country ). They do not allow you to do so with a 3 wheeler, but you can have a 2 stroke racer on the roads :S . I don't bother paying any attention to the law here though. I have a cottage in Marmora, its illegal to ride on the roads, but... how many cops are in the country?. I have been stopped a few times by police for riding down the shoulder of the road ( 20 km/h slower than the limit ) and they do not bother me. They chat up a little bit, say " oh i had one of those when i was younger " and they mosey on.

Pretty much everywhere I ride, I get " Those things are dangerous " or " aren't those things illegal?! ". But quite often, i'll get, " awesome bikes man! I see you around all over on different trikes " I get lots of respect around my area when I ride in terms of other riders, even pedestrians talking about my trikes..

Have you ever gone to Ganaraska forest Doug? That is one of the only places i know, that will let you ride. I ride the railbeds/ Marmora mines quite a bit also, they let trikes ride also.

kinyocase
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Haha I just got mine rolling decently enough to take for a quick spin around my lil town today. Took it down about a half mile from my house, and every car I saw was just people glaring at me. Not sure anyone around these parts has seen a three wheeler in the last 15 years. Hopefully I can start to change some opinions.

justin4
10-05-2011, 08:54 AM
I was out at neiiis dunes out here in Vegas and this idiot was in the middle of one of the little tracks there with his four wheeler up side down on the seat I stop he looks at me on my 84 250r and says( aren't those dangerous) I had to just shake my head and ride away. I went by there 20mins latter and he was still on his seat so I helped him get back on his 4 wheels and told him it's all how you ride them. He said thanxs for the help And I drove off to enjoy the rest of my day on my danger machine.

dougspcs
10-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Have you ever gone to Ganaraska forest Doug? That is one of the only places i know, that will let you ride. I ride the railbeds/ Marmora mines quite a bit also, they let trikes ride also.

No haven't made it there yet..hope to sometime soon.

Too busy this summer..

Xpress
10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Gee, seems like you guys have a lot of stuck up people around there.. Gotta love it when people talk about 3 wheelers in negative ways. Been there, done that :rolleyes:

I had a Jeep. I got tired of people saying "Don't those tip easy or aren't those things unsafe". I would say "yeah, if you drive them like an idiot. It's not a car!!".

Quoted for truth.