PDA

View Full Version : Found a deal on '80 ATC 185. Is there anything I need to look out for?

bnz 41
09-27-2011, 10:57 PM
I recently found an '80 ATC 185 sitting in the back yard of a lady in my town. Her son used to ride it but after sitting outside for a winter it wouldn't start back up. That was 2 years ago. I'm guessing I would need to clean the carb up and obviously change fluids etc. They said that they paid $400 when they bought it but that was back when it was running. Is it worth taking the chance on this old beast if I offer her $200? What do you think? I have an ATC 110 but would like to add something bigger and I have a bit of a soft spot for these old machines. I'm going to look at it in the next few days. Is there anything that I should check specifically.

Thanks for the input.

bnz 41

Vealmonkey
09-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Corroded electrical connections. Water in the oil. Rusted rear chain. Stuck brakes. Stuck cables. It could be a nightmare of fixing lots of little bits. New chain, new cables, brake bits, all those things will add up fast. A definite bargaining chip, but if you don't have another $200 or $300 to burn after the purchase price, it may not be a good deal for you.