PDA

View Full Version : Info a tri-z

tippmann
09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi i have a 85 tri-z i bough for a resto project but some part were just strange.. Ok i found out in a box the coolant bottle so i found out too where to place her but the intake of the trike get right in the bottle??!? so i cant put it there probably the guys swapped the intake or i dont know could some1 post pic of tri-z without rear fender some top view and some side view. the bike can run without the bottle but its just stupid ..

bigredridr
09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
the intake for the carb is supposed to turn 90 degrees out of the carb then turn another 45 degrees up towards the front of the frame to the airbox. the coolant bottle sits between the gas tank and the 90 degree elbow for the carb

El Camexican
09-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Hi i have a 85 tri-z i bough for a resto project but some part were just strange.. Ok i found out in a box the coolant bottle so i found out too where to place her but the intake of the trike get right in the bottle??!? so i cant put it there probably the guys swapped the intake or i dont know could some1 post pic of tri-z without rear fender some top view and some side view. the bike can run without the bottle but its just stupid ..

I'm guessing you are running a filter straight off the carb. If so, the catch can has nowhere to mount. I'm not sure if the 1986 set-up is the fix, or if you just run it without the bottle like I have so far. Anyone else out there have a fix?

Tri-Z 250
09-27-2011, 12:33 PM
The coolant bottle can be placed under the airbox lid if your running an open filter carb. If your putting ALL the airbox and tubing back in the coolant bottle lays back on the frame just behind the ductwork. Any thought on getting a manual for this rebuild? Manuals do come in handy for rebuilds from my experance...great referance items.

Mosh
09-27-2011, 12:35 PM
The 85 Z coolant bottle went between the intake tube and gas tank.
The 85 intake tube was cut to clear that design.

The 86 coolant bottle went above the frotnt sprocket and had a larger intake tube because it no longer needed to clear the 85 design since it was relocated in 86.

It sounds to me like you have the 86 intake air tube which wont clear the 85 coolant bottle.
You can just make something work using another bottle mounted somewhere else, or get the 85 Z intake tubes.

tri-Z ripper
09-27-2011, 04:06 PM
here is an 85
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/german0024/DSC02437.jpg

tippmann
09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Yes mosh you sound right ill probably fit it or simply fit another kind of coolant bottle somewhere else on the trike for some time till snow start falling down. Just want to try my bike before winter.. »This winter planning doing the wrench report »Ph.2 on my trike so with the air filter right on carb ill probably save enough space with all thoses intake off the bike to place my coolant bottle the right way.
=D
Thx alot for all those answer its really appreciated.

tecat-z
09-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Or..... Just omit the recovery tank, it's not a necessity.... Simply run a hose off the rad straight down the frame like a dirt bike or early Tecate. Toss your t-stat while your at it. It has zero benifits.

WilliamJ
09-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Or..... Just omit the recovery tank, it's not a necessity.... Simply run a hose off the rad straight down the frame like a dirt bike or early Tecate. Toss your t-stat while your at it. It has zero benifits.

Are you 100% sure about the t-stat? Maybe in some conditions but what about in Winter, the stat is probably closed much of the time. Also the t-stat acts as a restrictor in the system to raise the coolant pressure. Helps with preventing bubbles around the cylinder head - if you chuck out the t-stat you need to replace it with a restrictor. When it rains the engine temps drop like a stone with the cool spray hitting the rad fins.
Bill

tippmann
09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
yea about this t-stat you sure it worth nothing ? and oh the temp light under the t-stat simply have to be linked with the red light to work properly ?? i have nothing on my trike and i want this light back

tecat-z
09-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Yes... I am sure. The "restrictor" is designed into the head gasket for priority cooling. The t-stat was in large part a sales pitch.

Bryan Raffa
09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
yes .. split the thermostat housing and remove the thermostat. temp light will stil work as long as the wires hooked to the sensor.

tippmann
09-27-2011, 09:13 PM
so do i need a resistence or something on the wire

Bryan Raffa
09-27-2011, 09:26 PM
so do i need a resistence or something on the wire

if you dont have the original housing you dont have the sensor,,, theres a sensor screwd in the housing a single wire connects to.

El Camexican
09-27-2011, 09:37 PM
yea about this t-stat you sure it worth nothing ? and oh the temp light under the t-stat simply have to be linked with the red light to work properly ?? i have nothing on my trike and i want this light back

Just keep in mind that cold seizing a water cooled 2 stroke is not hard to do, especialy in a Quebec winter setting my hoser friend. Almost every used 2 stroke I've ever bought has shown signs of it including my Z. If you don't use the thermostat go extra easy on the revs until it's nice and warm. Remember how we'd rev the crap out of our air cooled sleds to get the tracks to loosen up? lol Don't do that! I wish I could ride in the snow again.

tippmann
09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
All good ! ty this winter the trike will not run anyways.