PDA

View Full Version : 200x hard to start stumped !!!!

PAPA250r
09-26-2011, 05:56 PM
ok so i got this 200x . and its very hard to start . it will start on full choke eventually . run great idle good then crap out . or even if it stays running i shut it and its impossible to start again.

motor has a new carb , 10:1 piston , fresh top end . good spark , timing is dead on , after it runs for a few mins the plug comes out black but dry .

any ideas to make it start easyer ? thanks for any help

shortline10
09-26-2011, 06:25 PM
How's the spark right after it wont start ? Might be the stator starting to go bad . Check your valve clearances also .

Nubbinz
09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
It could be the carb, bad gas, clogged petcock, nasty air filter, I know you said it has good spark but the plug could be fouled enough to effect it but you can still see a nice spark. At 2 bucks id wipe off or just replace your plug. Just figgured id throw some easy checkpoints your way

Chazz of Blades
09-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Check your valves.

just ben
09-26-2011, 09:11 PM
you said after running a few minutes the plug is black,a few minutes in what throttle position? idle? 1/4-1/2? 1/2-full? what is the carb you put on? jet sizes? it sounds to me like a carb issue but I would also test that the stator is within specs since that is also a possibility

kylegrimes
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
try to run it w/o a air filter air/fuel ratio might be messed up due to biger piston

PAPA250r
09-26-2011, 10:14 PM
valves are good , air filters good , spark after it stops is good , i bought the carb off of ebay im not sure of the jet sizes

its black after only a few mins of ideling . i put a brand new plug in it

its getting really frustrating lol

just ben
09-26-2011, 10:28 PM
pilot jet and or mixture screw adjustment

Scootertrash
09-26-2011, 10:35 PM
valves are good , air filters good , spark after it stops is good , i bought the carb off of ebay im not sure of the jet sizes

its black after only a few mins of ideling . i put a brand new plug in it

its getting really frustrating lol

Was it one of those cheap aftermarket carbs some people sell on ebay?

PAPA250r
09-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Yes it was one of the cheap carbs .

bugler30
09-26-2011, 11:53 PM
adjust your pilot screw according to the book (2 1/4 turns out i think) and try adjusting it in from there, if that doesn't do it go to a smaller pilot jet. How does it run with the throttle held open when riding?

PAPA250r
09-27-2011, 09:36 AM
I didnt get to ride it much yet in fear of walking home lol I just realized that I used the old slide that was conneted to my throttle cable . Maby this has something to do with it ?

oldskool83
09-27-2011, 10:16 AM
bet your intake valve is tighter then all hell.

PAPA250r
09-27-2011, 04:01 PM
I just put this engine together and I clearenced the valves to .003 .

Double checked the spark and it looks kind of weak.

If I turn the engine slow by hand it dosent even spark. I have to really whale on it to get a hot spark . Not sure if that's normal ?

shortline10
09-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Like I said above your stator is going bad . Have seen it a 100 times LOL . You can also double check your pulse generator gap .

PAPA250r
09-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Lol thanks. I am going to buy a stator

atc007
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Before I went ordering a stator,,which it may very well be.. I would DEF put the new throttle slide in the new carb. I have not personally dealt with the "cheap Ebay carbs",,But as a whole,,,MOST throw them on and ride without looking back! Perfect starting,idleing etc.. SOME have had to rejet,,but very few. I,,would clean the carb as long as you are right there,,while doing the slide. Recheck your intake valve,,it won't hurt! THEN,,look at the stator. I also think it's bad.. But give it a chance to PROVE it! Good luck!

PAPA250r
09-27-2011, 06:01 PM
i will recheck the intake valve bad news is i lost the new slide :wondering:wondering

thanks for all the help and tips i hope to get this thing to start within 2 kicks every time soon. it osunds real mean when it runs !

PAPA250r
09-28-2011, 05:15 PM
ok changed stator ... double checked intake valve ... brand new plug . still NG still weak spark , cleaned the ground , ruled out the on off switch . checked pulse gap .

going to buy a new CDI box and coil guess thats all thats left ...lol

Dirtcrasher
09-28-2011, 07:30 PM
That or the pilot / air screw setting as mentioned before................

Does the EBAY carb have the correct jets, or did u just bolt it on?

Whats the compression?

PAPA250r
09-28-2011, 08:20 PM
i just bolted it on. it runs too good once it ever starts for me to blame the carb . what ever was going is offficially gone because i cant even get it to run anymore ... compression is real strong . theres only 5 mins on a new cylinder and piston.

PAPA250r
10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
new CDI . new coil . same crap

only the pulse generator is left ...lol guess its that . starting to get really frustrated tired of buying parts lol

Dirtcrasher
10-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Don't be a "parts changer", thats not a mechanic.

Something is broken/broke or off somewhere; There may be a short or bad ground.

Each item when tested must be isolated. All grounds, spotless and dry.

Read that wiring diagram and all factory specs and go by that. The kill switch can be disconnected on most models as "OFF" is ground so most models will run without the on/off switch connected. So disconnected it, and it won't give you lights, but it will eliminate the kill switch and ground as an issue.

If electrical parts are in spec, stop changing them; Thats not the issue!

Read up and keep trying, follow the specs in the Service Manual and I'm sure you can find the issue............

It's probably your damn carburetor. Do you run an inline fuel filter? Everyone should.

Jerm1179
10-02-2011, 04:23 PM
any chance you pinched a wire when you put the tank back on after the new carb? im embarrased to say it just happened to me several weeks back...put on a bassani exhaust adn rejetted teh carb...got it running great put it all back together and took it out for a rip...and then it would die sparatically and not want to start..then next minute it would start first kick...ended up being a wire shorting out under my tank that i ha dpinched upon reassembly...just another possibility to look at

PAPA250r
10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Don't be a "parts changer", thats not a mechanic.

Something is broken/broke or off somewhere; There may be a short or bad ground.

Each item when tested must be isolated. All grounds, spotless and dry.

Read that wiring diagram and all factory specs and go by that. The kill switch can be disconnected on most models as "OFF" is ground so most models will run without the on/off switch connected. So disconnected it, and it won't give you lights, but it will eliminate the kill switch and ground as an issue.

If electrical parts are in spec, stop changing them; Thats not the issue!

Read up and keep trying, follow the specs in the Service Manual and I'm sure you can find the issue............

It's probably your damn carburetor. Do you run an inline fuel filter? Everyone should.

thanks . i have to get a multi meter eventually and get to the bottom of what the F is up with this thing lol i am going to try and borrow one because dont have the loot for one right now. I dont run an inline filter. and its a spark issue its intermittent and weak . verified the ebay carb on my 200s purrs like a kitten . i have isolated the kill switch already and cleaned up the ground . thanks again for the advise i will get it going real soon i hope !!! lol

ceaserthethird
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
What about the timing chain, could be off.

EarlyBronocGuy
10-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I put one of those "cheap eBay carbs" on my freshly rebuilt 200x, and I love it. It works perfectly.

If your spark plug is black when you pull it after running for a while, either it's the wrong heat range, it's not getting enough current to spark correctly, or the carb is jetted too rich. Double check to make sure the plug is the exact model called for in the manual, use a multimeter to check resistance of the plug wire, (pay close attention to where the wire enters the boot), and check your air filter - if it's dirty, it could be restricting airflow, which would make the engine run rich.

PAPA250r
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
ok update . got my hands on a multi meter everything was in spec except the pulse generator. spec is 50-150 and it tested out at 28 can that be the issue ?

just ben
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
ok update . got my hands on a multi meter everything was in spec except the pulse generator. spec is 50-150 and it tested out at 28 can that be the issue ? that would be my bet

PAPA250r
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
finally got it to a 1 kick machine !!!!!! new pulse generator gave it the hot spark still wouldnt run .... advanced the pulse gen from my old scratch marks started right up ! thanks for all the tips and help . learned a lot from this one lol