PDA

View Full Version : Another question on my carb, Tri_Z Pilot feel free to answer

millwrightullom
11-03-2003, 06:52 PM
To all that read my last question, I have a 1984 Honda ATC 200s in which it wouldn't start. After inspecting I noticed my jet needle was missing.

OK, I have it in the shop right now and I do have a new carb kit here with me to be installed Wedsday. Yhe mechanic checked all my coils and electric and said that there was juice so it wasn't my stator or other coils causing the problem. He did say the CDI Box was off another ATC, was was working. Then he got to telling me that I might want to change my wiring harness because of a couple of wires that were not taped or closed. He also said I had a wire that was pinched in my pull starter housing. Now my question is to you....... If my harness was faulty, would I even have a spark?(because I do) Or if a wire was pinched (stator wire, in which he said it was good) would that cause me to not have spark also?

At the end of the conversation, I told him about the carb, he said he didn't check it. I told him the kit was coming in the mail, and his attitude changed. Then he wanted me to wait on buying a harness and wait on checking the stator wire that was pinched until he put the carb kit together.

So what the hell is going on, do I need any of those other parts for my trike? Would any of those problems control my spark, because I have a spark? It just won't fire, I really don't know to trust him.

Thanks.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Well, you said you were getting spark right? Even if the spark isnt that big you should be able to get some kinda response from the engine trying to start. Do this, put a little raw gas, or carb cleaner down your sparkplug hole, put the sparkplug back in, and try to start it. If youre engine fires up, it is a fuel related problem, if it dosent it is more likely to be a electrical failure.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Another thing I would have your machanic check is the timing,(timing chain may have hopped a couple teeth) you may be getting good spark, but just at the wrong time of the engine cycle. I take it that you have already checked your compression. If you try the trick with the gas I told you about and it starts up, check your fuel lines,fuel tank, and air filter for obstuctions, but above all get that jet needle in the carb, and try another new sparkplug.