PDA

View Full Version : How To Dismount and Mount a Tire

skidmorejr88
09-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Ok guys so i figured id make my first how-to on the site. I hope it helps out someone in the future i know its a fairly simple task but have seen alot of questions in refrence to it. So here we go i will show a step by step process of how to dis mount and mount a tire. I will be using the wheel and tire of my 84 honda 200s. I know that not everyone will be able to access some of the machines shown but i will do my best to give tips along the way.

1. Step number one is to dismount the tire and wheel assembly from your machine. Sry no pics:(

2. Next you will want to let air out of the tire by removing the valve core from the valve stem, or simply removing the stem with dikes or a razor blade *be carefull*
3. Now that the air is let out of the tire the next step is to "brake the bead" from the wheel itself. In the picture i am using a pneumatic tire maching with a bead braking shovel. Like i said i know that not everyone has acess to this so you can try a bfh or a manual one wich i will show later.
4. You will then have to brake the bead on the back side of tire aswell.
5. Now that both the beads are broken you can take the tire and wheel assembly over to the machine you will be dismounting and mounting on. The machine in the picture has a manual bead braking shovel on the front and similar models can be picked up at harbor freight or ebay for cheap.
6. You will then have to place the tire and wheel assembly on the machine and manually clamp it down. You will want to keep the part of the wheel with the least offset up that way the bead falls into the "dropzone". If not you will be fighting the tire off.
7. Now that the assembly is mounted on the machine you will want to insert a rod or pipe to gain leverage with it will go through the center of the wheel and into a hole in the machine.
8.Ok now you will take your bead bar, pry bar, tire bar and insert it between the tire's bead and wheel.
9. Then take and push down on the bar fliping the bead upover the wheel. If this was a customers wheel i would use a rag or something to keep from damaging the wheel.
10. Now you will take and put pressure aginst the rod or pipe working the bead around the tire in a clockwise like motion with the bead bar.
11. Once The top bead is of the wheel you will repeat the same steps with the bottom bead lifting up on the tire and dismounting it from the top of the wheel in a clockwise motion.
12. So now you will have just your wheel there waiting for a new tire to be thrown on it. I would take this time and put in a new valve stem or clean up the rusted bead.
13. Now your ready to put on your new tire start by lubricating the new tires bead i use a type that prevents rust if this is not available some very soapy water will do.
14. Once the bead is all lubed up you can tak and sit the tire on the wheel at an angle so you can get you bead bar between the tire and wheel and aginst the leverage bar. And work the bead around agin in a clockwise motion.
15. Once the first half of the tire is on you will continue to proceed with top half of the tire.
16. Ok so your new tire is on and ready to have some air put in it. But dont let this fool you i have had this take the longest if a tire is misshapen.
17. Now thats a diffrence i went fomr a 22-11-8 to a 18-10-8!

Usefull or useless you guys let me know. If you like it I will do more on some bigger projects. Sorry for the quality of the pics.

tri again
09-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Great job.
Helps people understand what it takes, and the steps and procedures IF they try it at home
with shadetree tools.

You could charge a couple hundred bucks to teach tire techs the right way to do atv tires
at the tire stores.
Think BiG!

skidmorejr88
09-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I should! You have no idea how many guys I work with screw up wheels but I try to help the younger guys out when I can. Thanks for the positive feedback.