PDA

View Full Version : big red winch

chuckiedog04
09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
well, i put a winch on the 85 250es. Should come in handy. This is my project trike i have been working on. runs like a dream and is starting to look good. bought it this spring for 800 and sense then i have put on new tires, new starter, winch, and the brush gaurds. what do you guys think?

Fonzi
09-24-2011, 07:56 PM
I like, I have been thinking about putting one on mine. Did you wire it through the key or direct?

chuckiedog04
09-24-2011, 08:22 PM
I wired it straight to the battery. It works pretty good. i just used it to pull around a 400 outlander to see how strong the winch and mount is. it seemed to do the job.

Fonzi
09-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Do you think that the aux terminal would be a viable place to wire it in? I have the red/black plug. Just didn't know if the fuse would hold.

Thorpe
09-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Do you think that the aux terminal would be a viable place to wire it in? I have the red/black plug. Just didn't know if the fuse would hold.

No it wont...

Thorpe
09-24-2011, 11:01 PM
well, i put a winch on the 85 250es. Should come in handy. This is my project trike i have been working on. runs like a dream and is starting to look good. bought it this spring for 800 and sense then i have put on new tires, new starter, winch, and the brush gaurds. what do you guys think?

If you start to get real hard on the winch, you will start to bend up the front rack... (words of experience) I had add more metal, make it more solid, than just bolting to the four tabs...

atcmatt
09-25-2011, 12:11 AM
I put one on mine its pretty awesome but it does drain alot of power from the battery thats for sure. You definately have to hard wire it to the battery as it draws good amp. Bending the rack was my worry, i figure it should be able to move itself out of a bog with no damage to the rack, mines bent to hell and back already anyway haha!

chuckiedog04
09-25-2011, 09:59 AM
If you start to get real hard on the winch, you will start to bend up the front rack... (words of experience) I had add more metal, make it more solid, than just bolting to the four tabs...
that was what i was worried about. i was thinking maybe putting angle iron all around the rack and welding it to the plate i already put on there. then possibly making some more supports going back to the forks, the one thing i do not want to do is weld to the forks though.

Thorpe
09-25-2011, 12:01 PM
I formed the plate to the contours of the rack, welded the outer edge, and moved the side gussets as far forward as I could... A couple one inch welds on the bottom, tying the tubes to the plate, and now its built like a brick-craphouse... I doesnt flex at all. Even when I have the plow stuffed in a wet snowbank, it doesnt move ever...