PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 1984 YTM200ERN - clutch pedal adjustment

Flappn
09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Hello All, I am new to the board. Love riding dirt bikes and ATV's. I recently purchased a Yamaha 1984 YTM200ERN and also have a Yamaha TTR230 trail bike. The
YTM has been converted from a 3 wheeler to a 4 Wheeler with the conversion kit...it's really cool.

I have a copy of the Yamaha YTM200ERN manual however it does not explain how to adjust the clutch pedal. I find I have to push the pedal to far down
to gear down and it has to be pulled way to far up to shift up.

Wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge on how to adjust the clutch pedal. I have taken a good look and it seems the clutch cable has to adjustment
nuts on it....just not sure of the procedure. I would hate to screw things up.

I have also posted a few pics of my machines.

Thank you

HuffieVA
09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
You wont find a clutch cable on it (its an automatic), the pedal (shift lever) gets extremely loose on these when the linkage gets sloppy, you can try to adjust the adjustable threaded shifter rod (loosen the nuts on either end and twist the rod between the heim joints), but if the heim joints are badly worn or the shifter shaft is worn you will still have a great deal of play in the shifter.

Flappn
09-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Can I replace anything rather than adjust to fix the issue?

HuffieVA
09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
You can, but the key is finding a replacement, YTM parts are not the easiest to find, but you could likely find new heim joints and make them work if that is the problem.

Flappn
09-22-2011, 03:38 PM
I should just convert it to a suicide shifter.....

Thanx for the info

HuffieVA
09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I should just convert it to a suicide shifter.....

Since the shifter shaft is under the rear fenders you would likely need to make some type of linkage to get a hand shifter to clear as well... plus do you really want a vertical steel spike sticking up next to your seat?... I've never been a big fan of self induced castration, but thats up to you.

If you do decide to mutilate the poor thing, sell me those rear fenders first, they look to be in pretty good shape...

MonroeMike
09-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Can I replace anything rather than adjust to fix the issue? You will still have to adjust a new shift rod.