PDA

View Full Version : 250 big red vs 250 sx?

1300man
09-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Whats the main differences between the two? front and rear racks is all i could see. same motor correct?

Thanks

tri again
09-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Hey there.

The orig sales brochures are fun to read and can be found
somewhere on the front page(s) of 3ww.
Shop manuals for free in the 'world class help' section too.

Most people on here will suggest you get one of each, so be ready.

1300man
09-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Thank you sir

dougspcs
09-22-2011, 07:47 AM
There is as much the same about these machines as there is different..

The engine, transmission, controls, speed, ability in terrain...all the same.

But, the SX feels sporty and the ES has a heavier more stabile utility feel.

Both are brilliant machines, this is why I own both.

My brother and I ride together as often as possible. Since he doesn't own any machines and I have a collection we load my trailer and take off riding. The ES/SX are always our 1st choice..plus one for backup since my trailer holds 3..

If your question is to help decide which to buy I say..buy whichever one 1st presents itself in your area. Then when the other pops up and you got the money buy it.

It's the only way since both are excellent for such unique reasons..

Good luck!

Jason125m
09-22-2011, 08:34 AM
They are two completely different animals. The bigred is a bigger, heavier, slower tank, with stock racks, worklight, and lower gearing. The motors in the two are the same ( to my knowledge ) but all the difference in speed comes from the lower gearing in the diferential.

The sx is a lighter, sportier ( cosmetically and mechanically ) , faster, more nimble machine. I personally can do a lot more with the sx than the es. Ie, wheelies, sliding, and more chaleging/ steep terrain. Since it feels more controllable. The sx also had 22 inch tires and 8 inch wheels, compared to the bigreds 25 inch tires and 9 inch wheels.
Hope this helps.
P.s. I wrote all this from my phone so sorry about the format.
Jason

atc007
09-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Ditto on ALL the above info!! You get the best info here sometimes,,And this thread is spot on. Having said that, I have Tens of thousands of miles on Big Reds,,Mostly 250's. I also have many SX's. The weight and sportiness of the SX is ALMOST unargueable... I,,,,,can do Way more on the BR,,just my comfort,,INCLUDING wheelies,and sport riding...YES,,I have listened to a LOT of trash talk over the years about "sport riding a Big Red" ....Until they bring their R's and X's over for a ride! Once we hit the roads,,,obviously ,,they are long gone but their dust,,,BUT,,In the woods,,feilds,pastures,, where we're Supposed to be riding,,a Big Red is just a VERY capable off road vehicle. The ground clearance ALONE,,,keeps me off the SX. So,,,,If you will be in the woods,,BR,,sportier riding,,I still vote BR,,but,,,the SX is def a lighter,,very,very wheelie happy machine. I think Doug said it best,,,whichever one presents itself,,get it! Weaknesses being,,rear diffs,,starters,,$50 new on Ebay,,reduction gears. And if the PO hasn't done oil changes,,,Stator,,and one way bearings on the flywheel and clutches,,They all pick up the grit in the oil and grind things to a halt. Watch out for loose,and worn hubs on the axles,,welded ones of morons were the PO. And obviously,,bearings,,all of them,,,Good luck!

atctim
09-22-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm with atc007 - I prefer the Big Red (ES) over the SX model and feel more capable on my ES. Like he said maybe it is comfort level, but the ergonomics of the Big Red is far superior to that of the SX in my personal opinion.

tri again
09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
After years w/ BR's, I got a few sx's simply because
2 will fit in the truck and are virtually the same.
Actual specs are in the orig sales brochures here on the front page of 3ww.

I have one br, well broken in, actually within an inch of it's life, but it is THE
most comfortable, dependable, go ANYwhere, do ANYthing, and theft proof ugly of the bunch.

Hard to describe, but way more stable on the dunes.

I'd really like to try an sx with flat bottom tires, instead of rounded or however
they are described and maybe a touch of wheel spacers. Just haven't gotten around to that yet.
Those changes seem like they would make it more like a bigred..so where AM I going with this?

I guess if I was younger and was interested in riding more aggressively ,
ie, more time standing on the pegs, it would be the sx all the way. or an x, or an r.
for that matter.

It would be great if you could try them both out.

Keep in mind the pre purchase suggestions.
Differential oil/pinion bearing growll, swingarm bearings, deal breaker type topics.
A machine in reasonable shape should last forever with proper maintenance.

1300man
09-22-2011, 10:58 PM
I really appreciate all the info guys. This is a great site with alot of good people.

atc007
09-23-2011, 07:08 AM
I'm with atc007 - I prefer the Big Red (ES) over the SX model and feel more capable on my ES. Like he said maybe it is comfort level, but the ergonomics of the Big Red is far superior to that of the SX in my personal opinion.
Much better said! They are much "longer feeling" in the seat and wheelbase.. The SX is a little crampy if you're anywhere around 6 ft. But again,,,Great machines!

dougspcs
09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Much better said! They are much "longer feeling" in the seat and wheelbase.. The SX is a little crampy if you're anywhere around 6 ft. But again,,,Great machines!

I will agree with this point also..at 6'3" if feel the machine is a bit small for me at times..

Then again, alot of things are!!

Jason125m
09-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I am a smaller guy, but i can understand where you guys are coming from. Im 6', but only 155 lbs, i think that is the reason why i love the sx so much. Plus, i've had the es for way longer than the sx. All around great bikes! Can't go wrong with either.