PDA

View Full Version : Vintage motorsports 84 ATC 250r restoration done well almost !!!

vintagemotorsports
09-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Hey Guys been a while since i posted a new job on here . i get alot of repeat bikes so its not exciting to see the same ones over and over . Here is one I have yet to do before an 84 atc 250r . This was a full from the frame up restoration and tons and tons of nos parts involved to pull this off . for some reason this bike beat the hell out of me to get it done I dont really now why but i think its the fact that the supply of nos parts for the 83-84 250rs are very slim. but with alot of searching and calling it all came together and i am pretty happy with how it turned out . I just have to install the chain slider and chain and its good to go . This will be the last ATC restoration in my current shop I bit the bullet and am moving to a larger commercial garage next town over . I have been in this shop 10 years and its time . I will be able to load and unload trucks alot easier and have alot more exposure to manufacturing etc so this will mean more new products and I will be ramping up sourcing real clean and restored ATCs for customers throughout the country . more to come ..

just ben
09-21-2011, 08:23 PM
very nice build. if you ever do a 2nd gen tecate I may have to dig into my matress full of cash. nice job!

ringdingrider
09-21-2011, 08:39 PM
looks amazing. great job! long live another trike

badass350x
09-21-2011, 08:52 PM
All I can say is beautiful !!!!

honda200x1987
09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
She's a beaut ! It makes my day knowing you guys are pumping out these 3 wheelers like they rolled off the showroom floor. You do unbeleivable work, they look so clean and perfect wow. Hope to see more and I don't mind seeing more of the same kind of restos ,I think everyone looks forward to these threads. ...One Q though,, What do you mean by more new products? Any kewl new hard to find repro parts like the 350X front brake line you reproduced?

tecat-z
09-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Awesome!!!!!

aldochina
09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
i would say his work is superior to showroom!! looks absolutely amazing mike!! gotta figure back in the 80's these were slammed together by young men on a mission to bang out as many as reqired for that day!! i'm sure they were'nt worried about a nick or scratch here and there. I bet Mike sure is though!! especially at the price these customers are probably paying. good luck in the new shop man!

vintagemotorsports
09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks !!

as far as new repro parts I have all types of ideas and the means to make them all it takes is money and thats the part i lack. But i am slowley doing parts as I can afford to. I have a few items in the works now I primarily have attacked the US90 as far as my ATC I have just about every part for these bikes either nos or exact reproduction , but am starting to venture off to some of the sport bikes 250rs and 350xs . as much as we think there is a huge market for this stuff there really isnt so I need to be carefull of how I invest my time and money . but there are some key hard to find parts that would be worth doing . I even have a guy who can do plastic injection molding but the tooling cost would make everyone fall over . as technology gets better I am hoping this stuff becomes easier to reproduce .

badass350x
09-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Keep up the great work!!!!

hillbilly 200x
09-21-2011, 09:50 PM
man that is a sweet bike :drool: Isn't there a sticker on the shock reservoir??? That is one sweet bike....

Buster Brown
09-21-2011, 10:07 PM
WOW!
Just jaw dropping goodness! Really awesome Mike.
Congrats sir!

atc007
09-21-2011, 10:39 PM
What can be said?? They were NEVER that nice from Honda! Beautiful work again! That took some SERIOUS coin to produce!!!!!

bkm
09-21-2011, 11:11 PM
i would say his work is superior to showroom!! looks absolutely amazing mike!! gotta figure back in the 80's these were slammed together by young men on a mission to bang out as many as reqired for that day!! i'm sure they were'nt worried about a nick or scratch here and there. I bet Mike sure is though!! especially at the price these customers are probably paying. good luck in the new shop man!
Rory, you took the word out of my mouth. I will be willing to bet that all of these bikes the Vintage does, look better than any bike that sat on the showroom in the 80's.

Mike don't think for a second that we get tired of looking at the same project.

honda200x1987
09-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Well said,
Rory, you took the word out of my mouth. I will be willing to bet that all of these bikes the Vintage does, look better than any bike that sat on the showroom in the 80's.

Mike don't think for a second that we get tired of looking at the same project.

edog
09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Very nice!.....bigger isn't always better. But you do other work with that skid steer and stuff. I could see the extra space needed. Whatcha got hiding up stairs?!?!?!?!?

pinstriper
09-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Very nice Mike! (as usual)! Beautiful!!

RodKnockRacing
09-22-2011, 04:47 PM
looks great i've always liked 2nd gens

R-tifacts
09-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Looks perfect, top notch work. Larger shop = more employees, where do I get an application? I dont even know where you are located but I will move to get paid to build nos trikes! haha. Great build man!

cobrazilla
09-22-2011, 06:00 PM
My hats off to you sir!

madall
09-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Will u sell it Mike?

Cheers
AL

vintagemotorsports
09-22-2011, 07:15 PM
thanks again, yes bigger shop equals more room but Im still a one man show havent had enough work to justify paying an employee just yet. just need more room to get things organized and being more efficient = more work getting done . My backlog for restoration work is pretty close to 1 year out so this should make things smoother for sure.
sorry bike is not for sale the owner is picking it up tommorow morning and bringing the next project 87 fat cat

atc350xer
09-22-2011, 07:51 PM
the next project 87 fat cat
I can't wait to see that one! Do you ever do "before" pics? I would think that showing those would make people appreciate what you do all the more!

AJZ_200X
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Very very nice airfooler! Ive got one very close to that condition, however, it is not 100% original

Orangecnty250r
09-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Great work Mike...That ATC looks familar..haha

vintagemotorsports
09-22-2011, 09:18 PM
hey bill, I thought you might recognize this bike ...
BTW.. your engine arrived and its parts safe and sound i will get those axles out to you asap

Orangecnty250r
09-22-2011, 10:21 PM
hey bill, I thought you might recognize this bike ...
BTW.. your engine arrived and its parts safe and sound i will get those axles out to you asap

Thanks and congrats on the shop!!!

250rAL
09-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Mike, what kind of people commission your restorations? Are they strictly collectors that will never ride the finished machines? Do they get a machine restored that they already own or do you find it for them then restore it?

TatTooL23
09-23-2011, 10:09 AM
such amazing work. i would love to send u one and have u go through it to that extent but i ride all of mine. maybe in the later years. i could use u restoring them as an excuse to not ride them and hurt myself. lol

vintagemotorsports
09-23-2011, 10:26 AM
I have customers all over the world , most are die hard collectors and I do alot for museums. but a fair amount are for ordinary guys like me and you who have either kept there childhood bike throughout there adult years and want it brought back to new again to respark the memories they remember as a kid . or alot of times people approach me without any bike but know what they want and i will locate buy and restore that bike for them . Most of them are kept unridden as display bikes but all are ready to ride just as hard as the day they were new . Thats one thing with my restorations they dont just look pretty they are like this inside and out just as good as new and this is were alot of guys trip at the finish line sort of speak , cosmetic restorations are just that ,enough to fool the untrained eye from 5feet away . I want all of my finished bikes to be able to be flipped unpside down and closley looked at and not notice any imperfections from 5 inches away this is what sets restorations apart

250rRoostmaster
09-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Absolutly stunning!! Great work!! Makes me want to get an 84' now:lol:

Bryan Raffa
09-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Nice freakin Job MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang.......

nik0708
09-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Very Very nice Mike!!!

Don't suppose you have any left over parts you came across while you were searching the globe for this build?? I am currently restoring my 82, 83 and 84 and I am having trouble finding little things like rear brake res and hose, 84 skid plate etc. Any help or advise you could give would be very much appreciated. I am good friends with Pete Balz (petesatc) and have cleared him out of all his 83/84 parts.
Thanks,
Nick.

Mosh
09-24-2011, 11:02 AM
This is a perfect example of what the term "restoration" means.
Top notch as usual.

Big-red-man101
09-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Wow that's the best restoration of a 250r i have ever seen. and ive seen alot. good job man! keep on triking!

UlsterATCFan
09-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Exquisite work as always, thanks for posting

atc007
09-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Knowing your attention to detail, I was REALLY wondering!! Why did the customer decide on Black pc instead of the green hued metal of a stock Honda for the shifter and foot brake?

84honda200s
09-24-2011, 05:36 PM
all i can say is wow !! just wow what a great job. if i ever want a true restro i know the guy that ill have do it.

vintagemotorsports
09-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I love how people pick out the details , just so you know I have an NOS shifter in what is known as OD green zinc plating but could not locate a match nos for the brake lever . so I had given my customer the option of mis matching left to right side witch i hate or making both consistent and use a satin black PC on both of the original levers so they match and if a nos rear brake lever pops up later we can swap them over with the 2 nos parts . sometimes these little things need to be addressed on a project so it can move along and can be addressed later if they want to .

torker
09-24-2011, 08:49 PM
What can I say that has not been said already? I hope someday I can afford the fine services you provide.
I have not seen a trike you've restored or build that I don't dream of owning.
Great work for sure. Best of wishes on your new shop.

TORKER.

nik0708
09-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Hi Mike,

I have a guy who does all my Olive Drab coating on shifters, brake pedals, brake line guides, return springs, sprocket washers etc etc. I just send him a NOS shifter every time I send a batch to him so he gets the finish spot on. The normal olive drab finish used in various industries is a lighter shade.

Nick