PDA

View Full Version : ATC 200 engine in XR200? Anything to gain?

stevensj13
09-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey guys, I may be able to get my hands on a Honda XR200 dirt bike with an ATC 200 engine in it. Is the engine any better? From what I hear, the XR200 is 6 speed and the ATC is 5 speed so I am not sure why the previous owner swapped the motors. I am not sure if the engine is from a 200x or just a 200s/es. Does the ATC output more power/torque? Thanks guys

HuffieVA
09-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Personally I am definitely not a fan of not having a manual clutch on a bike, so if its a "non-X" engine you have that against it, also trike engines in general are geared lower than bikes so you may have a torquey little wheelie bike, but unfortunately nobody will see you because you would be behind them:D

(dont get me wrong Rekluse clutches are great, but you still have the ability to use it like a regular clutch when need be)

stevensj13
09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Personally I am definitely not a fan of not having a manual clutch on a bike, so if its a "non-X" engine you have that against it, also trike engines in general are geared lower than bikes so you may have a torquey little wheelie bike, but unfortunately nobody will see you because you would be behind them:D

(dont get me wrong Rekluse clutches are great, but you still have the ability to use it like a regular clutch when need be)

Yeah, he said its a manual with a clutch. I like having a clutch on a bike, although it is a little strange because it has a thumb throttle which i think I'm gonna ditch if I get it

Chazz of Blades
09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Less power, less gears, no manual clutch, and possibly a drop in a few CCs.

The XRs have a better cam, a popular mod is to swap the cam from a 200X with one from an XR for more power.

An on not being sure of the engine, S will have no hi/lo like an ES will, and an X will be manual clutch. Also, the ES will have an electric starter on it.

stevensj13
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Less power, less gears, no manual clutch, and possibly a drop in a few CCs.

The XRs have a better cam, a popular mod is to swap the cam from a 200X with one from an XR for more power.

An on not being sure of the engine, S will have no hi/lo like an ES will, and an X will be manual clutch. Also, the ES will have an electric starter on it.

yeah, its kick start only clutch 5 speed so it is the 200X motor. he said its been torn down completely and has new rings and this and that, but he said it started smoking recently. I wonder how bad its smoking :P. I may have to pass on it, another one with a stock motor will come around. I thought maybe I would have more power and speed out of it since the motor was for a big ol trike! Oh well, thanks for the info

oldskool83
09-21-2011, 12:59 PM
having owned many 84-02 a xr200's your gonna gain nothing. i would never pull start a bike. besides that most is the same. a stock xr is geared so nice you can crawl nice in 1st and 2nd. ive seen it before but i think. your gonna miss the slip of the clutch to roost a corner. however if you could kick over an auto motor i might sing a different toon. the xr does have better cam.