PDA

View Full Version : back fires alot???

iceman atc
09-20-2011, 08:23 PM
:wonderingMy 350x back fires repeatedly when I let of the gas:crazy:. I have had 2 different carbs on it, tried open air box and shut but it still does it... any ideas???:idea:

1984 honda 200s
09-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Is your header pipe bolts tight on the head? Can you hear or feel air spitting around the header at the head when its running? Maybe you need a copper gasket x 2 for the headers
Is the Doughnut gasket between muffler and header still in existant or leaking? Maybe time to replace that doughnut
Any holes in the rear muffler itself? Any leaks or holes will cause fresh air to leak in when letting off mixing with the exhaust fumes thus causing a back fire.
I went threw this a couple days ago with a newer engine i got for my 200s, i noticed my header pipe came loose, and the exhaust joint doughnut was starting to leak, after replacing, no more back fire from WOT to idleing down.

iceman atc
09-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I do have a leak around the header rings. I never thought that would cause it but I bet your right!

1984 honda 200s
09-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Yes this would cause it to back fire, your header pipes just mite need an alignment. See if you can nudge the header pipe without loosing the bolts on the head, if you can then maybe you can get away with just a slight alignment of the pipe. Dont force to much on the bolts tho to tighten them, when you do tighten them to what you think is tight enough and you cant move the header pipe at all, fire it up and let it idle, and feel with your fingers and listen to see if it still leaks. If so then, you will need 2 copper O-ring gaskets.
With my 200s i went to loosen up my header and for some reason the stud in the head broke off flush. So at the moment theres only 1 good stud holding the header on and i have it aligned properly so it doesnt leak *fixing tomorrow*

shortline10
09-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust installed ? Might need to jet up a bit . Check your spark plug after you do a plug chop to see if its running lean .

iceman atc
09-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust installed ? Might need to jet up a bit . Check your spark plug after you do a plug chop to see if its running lean .

I'm running a DG Chrome power pipe. I have a bigger jet, and a dial a jet system installed. I believe 84 honda 200x is on the right track because my head pipe does leak.

Addicted
09-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Mine does the same exact thing. All stock,, it did it no matter what when I let of the gas

oscarmayer
09-20-2011, 11:10 PM
check your valve adjsutments. too tight a valve can cause this, as well as the chian guides being worn. do you hear noise when it runs?

goonie
09-20-2011, 11:12 PM
My 200s backfires as well, one thing that would be nice to nice to know is if it causes any damage in the long run....

iceman atc
09-21-2011, 05:11 PM
check your valve adjsutments. too tight a valve can cause this, as well as the chian guides being worn. do you hear noise when it runs?

Good idea too!

vhamerton
09-24-2011, 02:28 AM
"usually" backfiring or afterfire is a fuel/air mixture problem... "usually"...

tri again
09-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Does it cause damage is prob relative to whats causing it.
Tight valves are never good.
That brings me to another question, however.
Do honda trike valves tend to loosen? or tighten over time, if ignored.

On a light note..

I remember when my uncle put an extra sparkplug in dad's exhaust
and ran a wire to it.
I think he crossthreaded it into the ox sensor.

drove him nuts for weeks because it would pop super randomly.

He's also the one who put a piece of bacon on the exhaust manifold of my
diamond reo.

Smelled great, made me hungry for a week and I had NO idea where that smell was coming from

Sorry guys, I just needed some levity.

Scootertrash
09-24-2011, 09:35 AM
I remember when my uncle put an extra sparkplug in dad's exhaust
and ran a wire to it.

I believe it was my Dad or my uncle that told me about putting a 3 lb coffee can on the end of the exhaust pipe on their car. Modded the coffee can to accept a spark plug and had it all hooked up to a Model "A" or "T" coil with a toggle switch. You could rev the motor and alot of the unburned fuel would collect in the can. Flip the switch and you'd get a good blast /flame.
People still do it today for show.

He's also the one who put a piece of bacon on the exhaust manifold of my
diamond reo.

That's funny!!
I'll have to try that one with a couple of my buddies!:naughty::lol: