PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r suspension question

daBIGKAHUNA
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I am a big guy and would like to beef up the suspension on my 85 250r. Are there forks/shocks that are made for other bikes that are a drop in/bolt on type replacement for 85 250r front end that would beef it up or provide and overall improvment?

I know there are aftermarket shocks for the rear that might do the trick but I am not sure what specs I would need to look for in a replacment and I dont want to break the bank doing it. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

leviblue
09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
1st what are you planing to do with it?? race or trail ride? 2nd your weight will make a differance on the rear shock so if your a big guy plan for a heavy set-up. inverts are niceup front which mr hall can help you out with. as for the rear the sky is the limit on the shock. stock rebuild would run 150 and up and the other aftermarket will run 700 plus. but in the end it comes down to your size, if your 350lbs plus i'd say to loose some weight as the rear will bottom on hard landings, and how your looking to use your bike will make a diff. anyway you look at it you can spend up to 2grand easy on the perfect setup

daBIGKAHUNA
09-20-2011, 11:29 PM
1st what are you planing to do with it?? race or trail ride? 2nd your weight will make a differance on the rear shock so if your a big guy plan for a heavy set-up. inverts are niceup front which mr hall can help you out with. as for the rear the sky is the limit on the shock. stock rebuild would run 150 and up and the other aftermarket will run 700 plus. but in the end it comes down to your size, if your 350lbs plus i'd say to loose some weight as the rear will bottom on hard landings, and how your looking to use your bike will make a diff. anyway you look at it you can spend up to 2grand easy on the perfect setup

I will use the bike basically for trail riding and possibly some sand if I can find some around here. I was a fairly agressive rider in my younger years but now that I have cracked the lid on the 40's I am not sure I will be quite as aggressive as I used to be. I will push the bike from time to time.

The stock rebuild sounds like the way to go for me - can you or anyone else recommend a shop to have this done? Also the inverts sound interesting - will have to hit the search function on that one. Anybody that has done this - please chime in and tell me how you like and what it took to get set up. Thanks!