PDA

View Full Version : 85 tri-z with 01 raptor shock fitment

tippmann
09-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi i found that the 01 RAptor rear chock fit the tri-z (with the remote bottle) so i bough one from ebay still waiting for it .

but now more im reading about it peaple seem to say that raptor shock fit de 86 swing arm and not the 85 and i have to change some pivot piece to make it fit right without the lower part of the shock hit the swing arm..

So could some1 tell me exactly if my 01 raptor shock will fit my 85 swing arm ? and if not what i have to change to make it fit thx

tippmann
09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
any idea ?

El Camexican
09-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Having just gone through this here is what I "think" I know.

A Warrior shock is a bolt on, but according to the guys at Works Performance its like 3/8" shorter than the origional Tri-Z shock (still lots of guys use them) and a Raptor shock is simular to the Warrior, but they have a solid mounted reservoir that requires some sort of modifications to fit and there may be a pivot bolt issues as well. Making it fit will require some work for sure.

Personaly I recommend paying for a Works or Elka, unless you can find a Fox or something (good luck with that) Even if you do find a rebuildable shock from back in the day the owner will likley want a fortune for it and you'll still need to rebuild it and find the right spring. Elka costs double what a Works does and they don't know what a Tri-Z is, so you'll have to buy the Warrior shock. Call works and get what you need for less than under $600 is my advice.

tippmann
09-19-2011, 12:40 AM
yea i know about all this but I bough 01 raptor shock with remote reservoir I just wanna know if ill have to modify something aboutthe pivot bolt

El Camexican
09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
yea i know about all this but I bough 01 raptor shock with remote reservoir I just wanna know if ill have to modify something aboutthe pivot bolt

I guess you'll find out as soon as the postman gets there.

tippmann
09-20-2011, 01:23 PM
lol yea found on forum a guys who had a raptor shock saying chain just destroy the slider but therre a guys got the raptor shock and swapped the tri-z spring at he came back to original lenght ill try it lol

Tri-Z 250
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Raptor shock is nearly 1" longer than stock Z rear....I just answered your last post on the linkage. I think I see where your going here. NOT being a shock expert changing ratios/and geometry of the action to swing...kind like playing with fire if your not aware of the math. Add an inch here drop an inch there....HIT 1 big jump and you might just snap something...LIKE YOU!
Take the advise of those before you and spend the cash on a proper unit...TRUST me you won't regret it, nobody else has been jumping up and down complaining form the cost. Yeah the Warrior shock will work in a pinch...but take a look at Raffa's Calfab...and you hear about alot of stock swingarms with cracks in them...either played out rearshocks, or the Z had a Warrior unit on it. Just saying

Bryan Raffa
09-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Ill tell you right now ,, calfabs junk...LMFAO! works shock has NO compression adjustment ....the best shock I have ran.. and have proven to hold up is a warrior shock..the newer style with the adjustment on the bottom,,, the strongest swingarm I have found is a STOCK ONE... ya I crack them,, but I do stuff most dont,, reinforced ,, there stronger than anything.

atc007
09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Ill tell you right now ,, calfabs junk...

I agree!! Here we go!!!!!!!!!!

Tri-Z 250
09-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Raffa(you kill me lol) I'm not ripping on you(or your misfortunate cracking of the most sought after part in my life:lol:); and your opinion is valid and exceptible...I Prefer my Custom Axis and have never had a swingarm crack ever. The shock has been on the 86'Z since 87' when the original stock unit blew after 20rides on a brand new machine off the dealer floor. Everyone is intitled to run whatever unit they wish...as cost is always a factor in any build. I believe the aftermarket Co's who offer replacements(PEP, Axis, ect) are worth every nickle. It just takes 16000 of them to rub together to get one.

tippmann
09-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Ok well now my craptor shock is on his way to my house and with info i got about It I bough a Warrior linkage.. ( had to change all my sleeve bushing anyways on mine) SO

Option 1: craptor shock + warrior linkage= arround 1inch higher and a non critical angle to destroy my slider+ swing-arm
option2 : Found out that craptor shock + Spring of my stock tri-z shock =same lenght of stock shock..

So soon as my rear of my trikes will get back as normal ill update ya .

tippmann
10-02-2011, 02:22 AM
welll got my shock still not the warrior linkage... up to now just tryed fitting the shock with original tri-zlinkage and to get it bolted ill neeed a kind of coil spring tool .because with the shock 1 inch longer the linkage geometrie dont allow a longer shock to fit there to get it done ill need to bend the spring then place it right ... how peaple who did it done the job ??? btw ill see with warrior linkage if i get extra 1 inch clearance due to the bone i should be ok to fit it without using any spring tool. well plz update me on this i saw post with peaple were able to run raptor shock with stock linkage.!!!

Just-Tri-It
10-02-2011, 08:59 AM
"IM FRENCH so sorry about all thoses grammar mistake o.O"

That's alright......you should hear them talk in the hood.......

Addicted
10-02-2011, 09:58 AM
And you should see them try to type^^^

tippmann
10-02-2011, 11:32 AM
So ? it is normal that the raptor shock simply not fit witout compressing the spring ?

Just-Tri-It
10-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Maybe someone could do a sticky with pics. on this procedure. I would do it but I don't want to do time for stealing a shock....

tippmann
10-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Ok got the 01 raptor shock in place with all stock linkage.. ĢIt fit but i had to unscrew spring bolt till spring get loose to get an extra 1/8 then some swearing and got it done...

Now i just got from mail my warrior linkage... this friday ill swap the linkage, with the pivot longer im sure the shock installation will be a joke.. ill update ya this week-end..

El Camexican
10-04-2011, 04:41 PM
this friday ill swap the linkage, with the pivot longer im sure the shock installation will be a joke.. ill update ya this week-end..

I'm looking forward to reading the story in "Frenchanadian", so make sure the whiskey is flowing good before you open the tool box!:beer

tippmann
10-04-2011, 08:09 PM
hahaha ! will do !

RiJiD-WILL
08-03-2012, 12:52 PM
wonder how this worked out with the warrior linkage.?

IVTRIZ
08-18-2012, 07:42 PM
wonder how this worked out with the warrior linkage.?

Me too. I have a Raptor shock with stock '85 Z linkage. I forgot what year Raptor because it has been on there for about 5 years with no problems. I admit I don't ride this bike too much but I have taken it to Glamis and ridden it all day on the dunes serval times without any problem.

IVTRIZ
08-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Here's a couple pics