PDA

View Full Version : Little Mistake :(

Headsup
09-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok so now after i redone my Rear end in my 85 250sx, I Decided to Read over the manual One more time Just to double check.
So now that i am looking, I see a couple missing Pieces, Like a "Snap Ring" That goes on the outside of the Bearings.

But i must Tear down the rear end again tomorrow, The "Wheel Hub Spacers" I seen was in a Certain way, SO i Stuck them in that same way.
I Placed the Chamfered faces of the washers To the inside, Like facing each other.

This picture from the manual However shows something i dont know. One looks Like its facing out (Towards the Tire) and then one that faces that same way sorta.
Idk can u guys eXplain maybe?

Does it matter if the Flat side of the spacer is a certain way? Or the Sloped (Chamfered) A certain way? Idk, Seemed to just fit right in over the lip on the axle So that's how i put it.

http://i.imgur.com/MbGhe.png

trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!!!
http://i.imgur.com/oab02.png Suppose im going to Coles tomorrow also

just ben
09-13-2011, 11:10 PM
looks like the manual answered it for you

Headsup
09-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Well not really.. I found a bunch of typos in the manual, And this must be another.. First it says to Face the Sloped Sides Out Towards the tire.. But in the Picture You can Obviously See that, that is not what is going on...
The One is the Opposite Way Then they say to do so.. The pics show them Both faced the same way, As to their telling me to Face them Out away from Each other.. idk Maybe im not wording it right,,

dougspcs
09-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Well not really.. I found a bunch of typos in the manual, And this must be another.. First it says to Face the Sloped Sides Out Towards the tire.. But in the Picture You can Obviously See that, that is not what is going on...
The One is the Opposite Way Then they say to do so.. The pics show them Both faced the same way, As to their telling me to Face them Out away from Each other.. idk Maybe im not wording it right,,

I was wondering that myself, the picture in the manual and the instructions seem to be contradicting themselves..mine is still apart from the differential overhaul while I'm waiting for the axle bearings/seals to arrive.

Kinda like to do it right the 1st time...

Perfect questions for DC

MonroeMike
09-14-2011, 12:48 AM
From the Clymer manual.

aldochina
09-14-2011, 12:54 AM
goes to show you why the oficial honda manual is the only way to go!! you the man mike!

MonroeMike
09-14-2011, 12:59 AM
That's from the Clymer manual, I should have put that.

tri again
09-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Always good to see things in print from a couple different sources,
and mix in personal experience and suggestions from others, divide by 2 and hope it's all right.

Hard to believe but anatomy book authors have been copying each others
mistakes for ever, too.

dougspcs
09-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Ok so now after i redone my Rear end in my 85 250sx, I Decided to Read over the manual One more time Just to double check.
So now that i am looking, I see a couple missing Pieces, Like a "Snap Ring" That goes on the outside of the Bearings.

But i must Tear down the rear end again tomorrow, The "Wheel Hub Spacers" I seen was in a Certain way, SO i Stuck them in that same way.
I Placed the Chamfered faces of the washers To the inside, Like facing each other.

This picture from the manual However shows something i dont know. One looks Like its facing out (Towards the Tire) and then one that faces that same way sorta.
Idk can u guys eXplain maybe?

Does it matter if the Flat side of the spacer is a certain way? Or the Sloped (Chamfered) A certain way? Idk, Seemed to just fit right in over the lip on the axle So that's how i put it.

http://i.imgur.com/MbGhe.png

trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!!!
http://i.imgur.com/oab02.png Suppose im going to Coles tomorrow also

OK so I think I found the official answer for 'headsup's question..

1st the spacers are different left to right so you can't put them on the wrong side..second there the tapered edge of the spacer points in toward the bearing apparently to centre the axle.

Also there is a shoulder on the spacer that fits onto the lip on the shaft so you pretty much know if it's on right..

The book would have lead me to believe the same thing..but I looked at my axle which is still on the bench and the description is misleading, but the picture is correct.

The chamfered edge(sloped) goes in, not out!!

You got it right 'headsup'..leave it as it is!!

Big Sal
09-17-2011, 09:23 PM
When I re did my SX rear end you can only put the spacers on one way...the assembly (left axle tube) won't bolt back together if they are in the wrong way....

Dirtcrasher
09-17-2011, 09:33 PM
They only physically go on one way; always look for wear marks to help give you a clue.......

Sometimes, I need both books to get something together. Always take notes on teardown!!

1985BigRed250ES
09-18-2011, 02:00 PM
good to know this as I will be rebuilding the diff on my SX soon.

dougspcs
09-18-2011, 04:22 PM
good to know this as I will be rebuilding the diff on my SX soon.

You'll need this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-ATV-Pinion-Bearing-Nut-Tool-60MM-/170692650579?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27be132653

The pinion bearing has a lock-ring in front of it..most of the other 'special tools' can be worked around. Not this one..some of the guys had ideas about it, but I did want to damage anything so I bought it.

Headsup
09-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes^^ The only way they come out is with the tool, Idk i wasnt about to try to rig up something for a 20 DOLLAR BEARING..