PDA

View Full Version : 85 350X Clutch will not disengage completely

jays375
09-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Recently purchased a 85 350X that the clutch will not disengage completely.The cable is new and matches OEM in length.It is a Motion Pro and even has the extra adjuster,still not enough.Without the cable connected the clutch arm has a half inch before it contacts.I removed the cover and parts don't look worn.Supposedly it had a new clutch installed recently.What should I look for?Or could it be the plates are just gummed up,it does not slip.

jays375
09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Nobody has a idea on this one?

wonderboy
09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I'll have to look at mine when I get home, but it seems like your arm is having to move way too far in order to begin releasing the clutch. Maybe a plate or disc was left out of the clutch stack? You should have 6 fibers and 5 steel plates in the stack. The fiber discs are the ones with the teeth on the outside that grab the clutch basket. The stack should start and end with a fiber disc.

dougspcs
09-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Remove the clutch basket and have a look..maybe the new plates are catching on a burr edge on the basket??

SWIGIN
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
How do you know the clutch is not disengaging?

jays375
09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Right amount of plates.When the machine is running in gear and you pull in the lever it still wants to move.Actually it will stall the machine.To me it seems like way to much free play.Problem is I can't see anything missing or worn.

SWIGIN
09-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Would it happen to be an 85 bottom end that some one converted over to the 86 style clutch cable?

jays375
09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
No it is all stock.New cable is a match to the oem.

jays375
09-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I was looking at the clutch arm today since cover is off.The arm maybe moves 1/4" and it starts to pop up.Now there is 1/2" of play before it starts to disengage the clutch.Nothing looks worn so something has to be missing.

dougspcs
09-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Take a pic of what you got..show the class!!

just ben
09-16-2011, 08:02 AM
pull the pressure plate off the clutch pack tip it to the side and see what falls out of the shaft,make sure all the parts are there. There is usually a single bearing ball in there sounds like it may have been put together without it. They easily get lost because they fall out and roll away without the mechanic noticing. I didnt check the parts fiche so your model may not have one but your problem is going to be between the clutch arm and the pressure plate (worn or missing parts) you will definatly have to pull off the pressure plate to investigate your problem

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2011, 04:55 PM
I was looking at the clutch arm today since cover is off.The arm maybe moves 1/4" and it starts to pop up.Now there is 1/2" of play before it starts to disengage the clutch.Nothing looks worn so something has to be missing.

He (SWIGIN) mentioned it because the arms pull at different angles from 85-86......

There is no "ball", there is a spacer that the rod pivots and pushes on that separates the plates.

This is rocket science (no disrespect intended), you are missing a part (thrust washer? etc, look at the fiche), have miss matched parts or very worn basket grooves.

I am so fortunate to not have these issues you guys have............... I just go new OEM and all is well.

jays375
09-16-2011, 09:08 PM
The basket is fine,no grooves.When you say spacer I don't see one.I have looked at the fiche over and over and don't see it or anything missing.

jays375
09-16-2011, 09:41 PM

just ben
09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
131826131827131828you need to pull the pressure plate off to find your problem. you are on the wrong side of the engine here. the spacer pushrod ect. are inside the shaft that the clutch slide onto. you will not be able to see if anything is missing without taking it apart EDIT: I just took a look at the fiche and it looks like the clutch arm and clutch are on the same side so there would not be a push rod going through the shaft. actually it looks like the clutch hub is on the outside of the basket and the pressure plate is on the inside.so dis reguard my advice besides that something has to be missing or is worn beyond spec.

jays375
09-16-2011, 10:10 PM
That also is all apart.The washer is behind the bearing.One thing I found is that 86 lists two different clutch lifters.The first is the same number as a 85.I posted the pic to show it is a 85 not 86.

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2011, 11:06 PM
They just changed the lifters......

19/12/18/20 and 10 have to be in place.

If that crap is all there, and you have a new cable with the correct mounts/stops; I'd make sure the lifter roll-pin is in place for an 85 pull, not an 86 pull.

If you look around, you'll see how that lever should sit at rest with a cable on it or something is not correct.

If you bought it non-working, I can understand the PITA crap but if it worked before, it should work again.

Search around (even EBAY pics help) and see how there lever sits with just a hair of free play prior to separation. Or something is amiss.

Did you change all the plates with OEM plates?? Or are you the "I don't run no rear brake guy" :lol: I forget...

Easy silly issue, I'm just not there............................................. .

jays375
09-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Well all parts are there and in the right location.Nothing is worn or broken.When I bought it somebody had a extra adjuster in the cable mount.The clutch didn't slip just wouldn't disengage completely.My guess is it is the clutch they used.Unless the pressure plate is that worn out,which doesn't appear that way.By the way you should have seen the brake bodge on the rear.I've got a few hours fixing up calipers and master cylinders.