PDA

View Full Version : 87 Big Red 250es , found one, but need to know if the price is right.

Fonzi
09-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Please weigh in on the following. I found one, it is in pretty good shape, only a couple cracks in the plastic, runs well, trans is in solid shape, tank is rust free. What is it worth, owner wants $1200.

Thorpe
09-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Not that much with broken plastic... (87 or not)

Fonzi
09-09-2011, 09:28 PM
That is what I figured, just didn't know how few there are out there. I don't come across them very often. thanks

dougspcs
09-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't know..they are only gonna get more rare!! There won't be alot more 87 models come up for sale..

I just got $1200 for my 85 that was in really rough shape cosmetically..

Think hard before you let this one slide..$1200 isn't way out of line!!

jeswinehart
09-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't know..they are only gonna get more rare!! There won't be alot more 87 models come up for sale..

I just got $1200 for my 85 that was in really rough shape mechanically..

Think hard before you let this one slide..$1200 isn't way out of line!!

That is what i am thinking too ! I could not find a bigred when I wanted my first one so I spent a 14 hour drive deep into southern Ohio on my 40th. birthday to buy a nice one owner SX. ended up off'ing that for my first Bigred.
I suppose if you hafta ask, should I,, you probably shouldn't and don't look back because it IS a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro kicking feeling to do so )

atc007
09-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Look at everything else.. There are 1000 things it could need! Lay it on it's side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1 !!!!!!!!! Thing you have to do! I just bought a beauty off the site from another member,,,let my "dealer guard" down,,cuz it was on here as MINT. Well,, long story short,,it has had a rock or tree,,put a HOLE in the clutch cover . It was epoxied over,,,1 owner! He might have known that! Check the diff really good,oil color and smell. Any noises? Cables,brakes,fender holders,,there? bent? broken? Gone? See if the 2 hand screws holding the rear fenders on come right out,,or if they're rusted,,Or gone? Frame rusty? or nice shiny gloss black? Tires,rims,toolbox,,nice and black inside? All scurfed up? Cracked? BAttery,starter? Forks and boots. They're not available anymore. Fr rack bent? All sorts of things for you to check,and if you find legitimate problems,,he should follow you on price. Could be a decent deal,,but w broken plastic,,the rest should be good. Let us know!

tri again
09-10-2011, 03:55 AM
That is what I figured, just didn't know how few there are out there. I don't come across them very often. thanks
4700, less than 5,000 made for the 87 model years.
Not sure if that's worldwide or just usa.
Search key for 'production numbers' may pull up the list.

Accounts for SOME bragging rights but not enough to compensate for
a bunch of work and $$ to replace things.
1200?
I'd be really tempted a) if I didn't already have one that I keep hidden and sorta afraid to ride/mess it up.
which makes it about as usable as my other collectibles.

and b) I didn't have to do ANYthing to it. Occasionally a treat to buy something that needs nothing,
and I mean nothing.

or you get one for 7 or 800 and spend a week and a couple hundred bucks?

I just missed a grampa owned 85 for 1,000 and felt bad until I found 2 sx's for
500 each and (almost) everything worked.

Not sure if there's any real basis for my next comment but the 87 br just seems
bigger and heavier and more stable and LUXurious than any of the others.
Like a hondalac escalade without the air conditioning.

Definitely cool rides.

Now the trike pricing structure is an interesting animal in and by itself
considering the prices of those modern 'trikes' with the extra 4th wheel and tire go for thousands
of dollars for really beat up ones.

tri again
09-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Look at everything else.. There are 1000 things it could need! Lay it on it's side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1 !!!!!!!!! Thing you have to do! I just bought a beauty off the site from another member,,,let my "dealer guard" down,,cuz it was on here as MINT. Well,, long story short,,it has had a rock or tree,,put a HOLE in the clutch cover . It was epoxied over,,,1 owner! He might have known that! Check the diff really good,oil color and smell. Any noises? Cables,brakes,fender holders,,there? bent? broken? Gone? See if the 2 hand screws holding the rear fenders on come right out,,or if they're rusted,,Or gone? Frame rusty? or nice shiny gloss black? Tires,rims,toolbox,,nice and black inside? All scurfed up? Cracked? BAttery,starter? Forks and boots. They're not available anymore. Fr rack bent? All sorts of things for you to check,and if you find legitimate problems,,he should follow you on price. Could be a decent deal,,but w broken plastic,,the rest should be good. Let us know!

Def go with 007 thoughts and all the others too.
From frame rust that can snap them in half (which I've seen 2x)
to the correct gear oil in the differential.
For that price, a little cosmetic tinkering is allowed, but no real work or $ should be needed.

aaaaha!,
and papers aka DMV type title and keys that work really are 'worth' a few of the extra bucks we pay.

Fonzi
09-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Update, owner went dark on me. Called twice, emailed and nothing. CL poster that might have re-thought the need to sell. Still on the hunt for a 86 and 87. Thanks to everyone for their insight.

captainweezy
09-18-2011, 09:26 PM
i paid close to that for mine. Its an 87 and came with a plow and title as well as a windshield and the bill of sale when it was bought new. Hard to find. I know i looked a long time. Good luck