PDA

View Full Version : Frame swap tips and tricks 85 350X.

jays375
09-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I recently purchased a 85 350X that might have a bent frame.There was a extra frame included in the deal.Going to swap out the trees and inspect the forks closer first.Really can't believe what the machine looks like that the frame could be bent.Anyway any tips or tricks on the fastest and easiest frame change out?

Dirtcrasher
09-09-2011, 09:13 PM
What part is easy?? The 85 frame needs serious work to be a tough long lasting frame.

If you swap it right, it will take awhile.

Other than that, just start swapping parts.................

tri again
09-10-2011, 04:36 AM
I recently purchased a 85 350X that might have a bent frame.There was a extra frame included in the deal.Going to swap out the trees and inspect the forks closer first.Really can't believe what the machine looks like that the frame could be bent.Anyway any tips or tricks on the fastest and easiest frame change out?

Sounds like you're not real sure it NEEDS the frame swapped.

I've gotten a few trikes with 'extra' frames and other parts.
What's the story?
are you sure the frame is bent? or just an 'extra'.

Are the forks bent? Steering neck tweaked?
Frame rust rotted under the engine? or bent/broken/cracked where DC usually fixes/gussets/reinforces them?

As I understand it, most frames, including this one, have predictable failure points of interest.

heck, I'd ride it first before I took it all apart.
Summers almost over.

jays375
09-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Like I said going to swap out the trees and inspect the forks closer.Plus check the frame out more.When riding it the bars are pretty hard right.I am thinking the neck might be bent.The spare frame is very nice conditon,nothing broke.Even the factory paint is still very nice.