PDA

View Full Version : 85 350x won't completely disengage

jays375
09-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I am having trouble with my clutch not completely disengaging on my 85 350X.My guess since it supposedly had a clutch recently replaced is a missing washer.The cable and lever were all bodged up but have been replaced.Even used a Motion Pro cable with the extra adjustment.Is there anything else to look for before removing the cover.

bhillis99
09-09-2011, 11:59 PM
I just changed the clutch on my 86 because of it slipping in the higher gears. im guessing everything was correctly installed?

dougspcs
09-10-2011, 12:17 AM
There is no washer..lever to plunger to release bearing. Pretty straight thru...

I had an issue after doing mine and replacing the cable..aftermarket cable was not the right length and I had to screw around.

Assuming your cable is at the end of it's adjustment..maybe it's wrong length like mine.

Didn't mention how recent the clutch was replaced..were the plates allowed to soak in oil or installed dry?

jays375
09-10-2011, 07:28 AM
It had a issue with the factory cable also.The new cable I installed is a Motion Pro that even has the it's own adjuster.Both the one on the perch and cable are maxed.Don't know about the clutch install,was done before I bought it.I thought if they were installed dry it burned them up.It grabs just fine,lacking disengaging completly.

dougspcs
09-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Under the carb where the clutch cable anchors is a bracket with 2 bolts.

Remove the bolt closest to the engine, then loosen the other and rotate the bracket counterclockwise about 1/3 inch until the bolt hole doesnt line up. Then tighten the 2nd bolt again..

This will give you a bit more pull on the cable to see if that is what is the problem..

Then see if your clutch will disengage..may have to playa little here but it should answer the question..is the sheath cable too short causing you to have to max you adjuster but still have improper cable travel..

Same issue as mine when aftermarket cable installed.

jays375
09-10-2011, 08:38 AM
It is a 85,cable bracket is under the exhaust header on the side of the motor.On the cable really don't think it is the cable.Only reason I say this is when I installed it there was just enough cable sticking out to hook it up.That is before everything was adjusted.

just ben
09-10-2011, 09:15 AM
sounds like you are adjusting the cable in the wrong direction. if the clutch isn't disengaging you should be turning the adjusters in. you said they were maxed out which to me sounds like you are turning the adjusters out

jays375
09-10-2011, 11:00 AM
The new Motion Pro cable has the same amount of sheath as OEM.The clutch arm on the motor has a half inch of play before it starts to disengage the clutch.This is the amount of freeplay without the cable connected.

rx7srlife
09-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I just rebuilt one motor from two. one of the clutch covers had a washer on the plunger and the other did not. I figured that it was supposed to be there. once i fired it up she wouldnt move. the clutch slipped all the time. I pulled the cover and removed that washer because it wasnt shown in the fische and it works perfectly now.