PDA

View Full Version : is there anyway a starter on a 225dx could go backwards?? i mean spin the wrong way?

nyyamaha225
09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
my yamaha 225dx has electric and pull start. The pull start pulls clockwise and the starter spins a gear counterclockwise?? am i just retarded or could this possibly happen? the starter only has one wire coming from it so kinda hard to screw that up. The only thing i did was replace the brushes in the starter, is there a way to get them backwards? Thanks for any help!!

just ben
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
think about it. if the starter gear spins counter clockwise which way will it spin the mating gear? I will give you a clue both gears can't spin in the same direction

Dirtcrasher
09-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Yep, your retarded.............. :D

nyyamaha225
09-09-2011, 10:21 PM
i guess i described it wrong the mating gear is spining counterclock wise

riverrat
09-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Never mind all that noise, which way is the engine spinning?

just ben
09-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I should have caught this when you said the recoil spins clock wise. its wound backwards

riverrat
09-09-2011, 10:42 PM
How is that possible? Wouldn't the recoil spring not rewind the wrong way?

riverrat
09-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Oh wait, I missed it!!! You put the brushes in backwards. well not totally sure how the inside of that starter is, but if the brushes AND the wires going to brushes went in backwards, then yes, your starter would spin backwards. Switch them.

Dirtcrasher
09-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Just to educate you a bit. DC is a lovely form of electricity. Put power one way and neg another and it spins one way, flip them and it does the opposite......

Thats why many industrial machines use DC power, variable speed and an instant braking system................

EDIT, brushes are brushes, they should be identical and have no effect on the rotation of the starter.

just ben
09-09-2011, 11:51 PM
How is that possible? Wouldn't the recoil spring not rewind the wrong way? if the recoil is put together wrong properly(if there were such a thing) it will recoil the rope but wont throw out the dawgs to turn the engine.does the trike run?

nyyamaha225
09-10-2011, 08:21 AM
the wheeler runs when you pull start it. someone on here told me the starter clutch is bad (wich i do belive them) but i have a parts motor and the starter clutch acts the same way it spins free one way and turns the motor over the other way. i just think the starter is going bacwards somehow? the recoil is wound right because it throws the dog out and turns the motor over. Thanks for the help so far though!

atc500x
09-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Did you battery it connected correctly?? Someone is come last year with the same problem on his atv....and he plugged his new battery in the wrong way....New quad with electronic will simply not work with inverted connection,but old model only with a starter will work....will not recharge battery but the starter spin...in the wrong way

just ben
09-10-2011, 09:03 AM
the only way I could see the starter running backward is if the battery cables were on wrong. I can't really even see that though. I have seen that done before and it usually burns up wires and rectifier in a hurry.what was confusing me is you say the recoil spins clockwise,which it would if you had it off and were looking at the inside. when installed it would be counter clockwise(the way it should be explained) the starter clutch is a one way bearing and sometimes the rollers get gummed up and wont grab the hub it spins on. cleaning the bearing(clutch) will fix that but most of the time the hub which is normally part of the gear (the big gear) wears down and wont grab the bearing. the wear may not be obvious its normally just a very slight ridge on that hub, just enough to catch your fingnail on. I,m not sure exactly how that starter clutch is set up but find the hub that goes inside the one way bearing and inspect it for wear

mollie8000
09-10-2011, 09:43 AM
the center section of the starter is on backwards,flip it over and try it

riverrat
09-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Two questions, did the brushes have wires attached to them? And did the magnets fall out of the starter housing? The starter can spin backwards if you put the magnets in backwards.
First rule of mechanics is check the last thing you did.

riverrat
09-10-2011, 11:33 AM
the center section of the starter is on backwards,flip it over and try it

^^^^^^^^^^^^ yes, thats the same thing as reversing the magnets, awesome.