PDA

View Full Version : 85 Tri-Z any issues i should look for

bigredridr
09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
im going in a few hours to look at an 85 triz is there anything i should look for that they are known for. i know what to look for overall but is there anything speacific i should look into. ill be honest ive only seen one triz up close in my life and it was rough. i am only familiar with honda's so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Mosh
09-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Blown rear shock/common
moisture around the base gasket indicating a base gasket leak. common
cracks on the swingarm/common
weak foot pegs and or bolt holes at the frame for footpegs/common
cracked clutch cover
if it has been rebuilt a bunch of times, suspect a failed water pump
any running issues over all in general

Alot of members go and buy these things (Z's) not running, then find that the trike has a whole slew of issues and are fighting them tooth and nail it seems.

Tri-Z 250
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Good advise right there...You can use the above info to your avantage as well to bargin. I always pull the drain plug and let a small amount of oil out...REGARDLESS running or not. Whats a tablespoon of 10-30 worth? Milky oil is your big indicator of fixable problems ahead, at a cost(head gasket,waterpump&seal,clutch). At rebuild you'd be replacing much of these items anyway. BORED how many times? Was the seal&pump replaced at rebuild time? Most think the headgasket failed...when the problem was the waterpump seal causing the gasket to fail. People are cheap and a pump and seal could run$ as much as your piston and rings even back in the 80's. Sure the mannual recomends replacing both the seal and pump(which is made of plastic) at rebuild, but who follows those things. BENT forktubes...take your shoe sting off if you have to create a straight line...brakeside common bender. Finding a straight used one is possible, and so is having it straightend by Dirtcrasher...new from Yamaha last time I checked $275 a leg 4week wait from Japan(2yrs ago)

bigredridr
09-06-2011, 06:22 PM
thanks for all the advise i did end up getting it i just got home with it. i got there looked it over good just about every thing was there. def in need of a restoration the plastics where all painted years ago and now are pealing. it started on the second kick. was worth 500. i got it home and took the side cover off to get to the radiator cap to check it. it was full so i let it run for a good 3 to 4 min and felt the anti freeze in it it didnt seem warm at all. any ideas? does it only circulate when reved above idle? just didnt want to mess with it to much tonight.

tri-Z ripper
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
if it still has the stock 3 way thermostat remove the thermostat.! also do a search here about Pinning the Water pump Impeller!!! it will save you a lot of hassle down the road. Post up some pics of this beast as well!