PDA

View Full Version : 81 Honda 200 stator/ohm question

Manns50
09-06-2011, 11:08 AM
The manual says 245 ohms resistance. Is that 2.45? I'm trying to get spark on an 81 and I bought and 82 200 for parts...(the wiring has the 3rd wire in a separate connector on the 82 but the stator looks
Similar just doesn't have the tab in the middle) But my question is
I'm not seeing nothing on my 81 but am seeing 2.45
Or a little over on two different places on the 82 so wondering if the
Stator would be good?

tri again
09-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Someone knows for sure.

I wonder when they quit, they prob read dead open, as in infinite resistance.

I miss my old analogue meter with a swing needle dial.

Do you see any voltage from the stator when you spin it?
You almost need someone to pull the rope when you watch the meter.
And it's ac voltage so kinda hard to read (for me)

That's rectified to dc for the coil.
I'm thinking now that I forget more than I ever knew.

Search key looking for '185 or 200, no spark' would be my second place to look.

First, generally, is clean all, and they mean ALL connections and frame grounds,
coil to frame mounts. Nip the last 1/4" off the plug wire so the cap has fresh wire to bite into.
Blow the red rustdust out from under the cover that says 'cdi' on it, as it is considered
a conductive powder.

I assume you cleaned the stator coil mounts since it want to be grounded.

Keep us posted.
Sounds like you found the free manuals in the 'world class help' section.

oh, on some models, the cdi unit gets it's ground TO RUN from the kill switch.
as well as the ground to kill it.

Manns50
09-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Ya I was seeing 7 volts when I checked with both leads to the connector but when I grounded one side of volt meter to the frame and te other lead to the black/red wire I saw 26 volts or better when pulling rope. Assuming that's ghost voltage. I've cut the plug wire cleaned the contact points behind the stator coils and the main coil and the pulse coil didn't look too bad but I can clean it as well. Starting to believe it's the stator coil bad. Hoping this one from the 82 is the same one....but I thought I remember seeing 2 wires going to the stator coil on the 81 and only one wire on the 82...so not sure yet

tri again
09-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Ya I was seeing 7 volts when I checked with both leads to the connector but when I grounded one side of volt meter to the frame and te other lead to the black/red wire I saw 26 volts or better when pulling rope. Assuming that's ghost voltage. I've cut the plug wire cleaned the contact points behind the stator coils and the main coil and the pulse coil didn't look too bad but I can clean it as well. Starting to believe it's the stator coil bad. Hoping this one from the 82 is the same one....but I thought I remember seeing 2 wires going to the stator coil on the 81 and only one wire on the 82...so not sure yet

so still no spark to the plug?

I've never gotten a straight answer on why can't we just use the lighting coil to run the ignition?
It's like a built in spare...but anyway, back to reality.

I have tons of plugs, some I can clean with the (12$ h freight) sandblaster and some just refuse to spark.
Like brand new plug, soaked immediately with gas
or fouled from running crappy for 3 minutes and they won't spark again.
or will track spark down the electrode instead of jumping the gap.

I keep ONE plug that I refuse to use for anything other than testing.

If you've got voltage coming out from the stator coil,
I guess it's time to see why it's not getting to the plug.
It's been a couple years since I went blind from studying the wire diagrams,
but ac from the stator gets rectified to feed the coil with DC current. (maybe)

Does that happen in the cdi? I forget, but there should also be a rectifier but maybe that's
just for the lights.

see my trick?
If I honestly show my true ignorance, someone will feel sorry for
me and chime in with the correct fast answer.

You'll get it.
We always do.
and then you ride and forget all about the aggravation.

Manns50
09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Ya I originally thought that as I'm used to working on cars and the like and was thinking of following voltage but as the manual and the majority on here suggested its recommended to test the ohms it has. As the good voltage I was getting could have been false voltage reading with me providing the ground on one side of the test lead rather than testing the circuit in other words. Maybe thinking about trying to use the one from the 82 200 just not sure if its the same one.

Xpress
09-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Double check your wiring harness. I did it all wrong on my 110 and it would not fire up, wasn't even getting spark. Sure enough the ignition was grounded, so I re-wired and it fired up first pull.