PDA

View Full Version : my little ytm side project

just ben
09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
131120131121131122131123Since I am waiting for parts for my tecate project I decided to do a little work on this tri moto. I picked up a parts bike a couple weeks ago that had a protech suspension kit on it so that will be getting installed on this trike with a stock tecate shock. having rear suspension on this trike will be a huge upgrade but the stock front will still suck. So I took a look at what I had around and dug up an 84 tecate front end. No way in the world would it bolt right on since the steering stems are different in length and diameter. So I got out my angle grinder and cut the weld on the bottom of the ytm and tecate triples and tapped the stems out of both. Much too my suprise they were both the exact diameter at the bottom. Very easy now just put the ytm stem in the tecate tree a quick weld and done. Now onto the steering stops,another nice surprise. The tecate stop work perfect so no further work was needed besides drilling and tapping the upper tree for the ytm headlight. The third pic shows the stock tecate triple with the modded one. Now that I have a little time it will be full steam ahead on this project. It should be fairly quick and easy the only piece to the puzzle I am missing is a front tire

just ben
09-08-2011, 10:46 PM
131345131346131343131342well this didnt take nearly long enough to do since I am still waiting on t3 parts. The front fender will more than likely be swapped out for a painted and vented t3 fender but this will work for now. riding this is a whole new machine compared to stock,rear suspension and a front fork that actually works:) I will do a little more eventually such as wheel spacers and fit a dg pipe but for now its good enough for a spare or for my oldest duaghter to ride

D-dub
09-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Nice work man!...the stance looks perfect!

Vealmonkey
09-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Now you know why I love these aftermarket suspension kits. It really makes neat little trikes, into big fun little trikes. Plus, now you have a unique trike as well. Congrats on getting it up and running with the suspension kit.

fabiodriven
09-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Awesome job for sure man. It almost looks like it might work even better if you made the front axle trailing instead of leading. I could be wrong though. You'd have to try it to find out for sure.

just ben
09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Awesome job for sure man. It almost looks like it might work even better if you made the front axle trailing instead of leading. I could be wrong though. You'd have to try it to find out for sure. i'm guessing you say that because the way the front fender sits. It's actually where it should be but is tipped foreward a little bit. I could put spacers in to shim the back of the fender down to make it look right but I plan on using a tecate fender so I didnt bother. thanks for the compliments guys. It was really an easy project I have only about a 30 bud lights time into it and probably about 5 of them where brainstorming the issue of how to make the rear brake work now that the trike is 6 or so inches longer. I decided screw it who needs rear brakes anyway. J/K I ended up shortening the original cable that went to the left brake lever. it worked out great

fabiodriven
09-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Ahhh, I see now. It's the fender that's throwing me off. Good deal.

Lil Earl
09-09-2011, 04:15 PM
very nice work looks like it would handle very nicely

just ben
03-28-2012, 10:39 AM
It's been a while since I have even ridden this trike but with the nice weather we have been having I decided to pull it out and make a few changes. Small changes but they help alot. First I swapped out the 84 t3 front end for an 85 front.That was time well spent,it has to be 20lbs lighter on the front now and has a disc brake. The next change I made was swapping the rear hubs for 2nd gen t3 hubs and wheels. Another easy upgrade,I shed a little weight and added about 5" width in the rear. 143679143680143681143682The last pic is my daughters first ride on a trike

stubble_jumper
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
That is a sweet YTM. Great work!!