PDA

View Full Version : how would i put a ciggarette lighter on my big red?

chuckiedog04
09-04-2011, 09:55 PM
okay, so i have a 85 250es, the plug upfront by my headlight is being used for my heated grips (might remove, they seem not to work anymore.). so i was wondering how i would go about putting a cig lighter on my big red with minimum work? It would give me a lot of options if i had one.

hoosierlogger
09-04-2011, 10:00 PM
ditch the heated grips and buy thicker gloves. Either that or run them both off of the same wire, but you probably would have to make certain you only ran one at a time. Depending on the demand from the accessories you are running, you might be able to get away with two at a time..

chuckiedog04
09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I just looked on ebay, it looks like i can get a cig lighter that goes straight from the battery. atleast thats what it looks like, i've never messed with this type of stuff so its kind of a new thing to me.

Jon Boy
09-04-2011, 11:15 PM
buddy has his set up like this for his. mainly used for portable pump. has the neg. grounded and the pos. wired to the ignition. so it works key on only.

tri again
09-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I found what they now call a 'powerpoint'
which is more politically correct than cig lighter.

It was over by all the accessories like cell chargers

I think it was like 6 bucks.

I bet a truck stop or RV supply place would have some really cool setups.

jeswinehart
09-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I put a cigarette lighter on the previous 85 Bigred I owed. Purchased the lighter + holder package from local hardware for under 10 dollars.
Cut the 2 wires going to the tee~ totally useless Honda "accessory" plug and after unscrewing that "thing" threw it in the trash can.
Mounted the hardware brand lighter (that can be had at about anywhere where they sell more then 12 items),, my concern was wether I would need to increase fuse size ~ nope.
Kept the same OEM fuse and lit many a smoke while under way AND for the politically correct way of saying, as far as I am concerned, the only reason open face helmits are still for sale (for smokers like me).
I am putting a cigarette lighter on my shopping list for my current Bigred ride. Can't dam beleive I hadn't put one on long ago on my Bigred, like I done on the other one.

tri again
09-05-2011, 12:33 AM
I just got those waterproof magnesium chunks with the flint striker
for 2 bucks each at HF.

Those will stay in the trunks of all the trikes in case someone gets really stuck
somewhere.
They'll ignite in any weather.

I remember an old harley with the cig lighter in the gas tank.

As far as extra juice, I've heard that lawnmower batteries fit nicely in the big red trunks.
and they're surely on sale this time of year.

For more intense stuff,
HF has a 12 volt powerpak with jumper cables.
inverter for 120 volts ac, and 2 - 12volt cig lighter plug ins.
I hit one of the switches and it has an air compressor and a light.

Lead acid battery that wants an initial charge of 48 hrs at 500ma
likes to be kept between 13-15 volts and can be charged from the dc cig lighter in a motor home
or car/truck. and regular house current too.

59$ and it ran my little tv for 3 days when the power was out.

gomer202
09-05-2011, 12:45 AM
I had a power point (cig lighter) on my 200es don't know if Actually worked sold it before i even tied :)

Louis Mielke
09-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Only you can prevent forest fires.

Swinger
09-05-2011, 10:03 AM
I thought that the open face helmets were for ppl that chew snuff (like me) so we dont spit on the inside of our mouth protector. Ha ha, I smoke too so they are win win....I think! Cig lighter would be great for spotlight to or do you think it would pull too much juice??

Hair Bear Bunch
09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Zippo and duct tape?

Thorpe
09-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Bic... I just tagged mine off the factory power port on the front of my ES... (never used it yet...)