PDA

View Full Version : 85 lowering rear suspension

sbjones73
09-02-2011, 03:47 AM
ok starting to get my new (new to me) 85 250r set up for ice racing.

i am going to lower the rear of it, i would like to know if the adjustable link for the trx250 quad will work, and how much does it lower it.

also i would like to go like 4+ inches lower than stock. would the link lower it that mucH?

any pics of rear shock set up for ice racing or tt would be awesome !!!!!

Tri-Z Pilot
09-02-2011, 04:40 AM
Yeah that should work, they just replace the dogbone in your suspension linkage I believe. Pretty sure Durable makes them and they adjust between 2 and 4 inches (been awhile since I researched this part) One thing though, jumping with these is a no-no. And remember to slide your forks up the tripples a bit to lower the front.
Ive also seen circle and ice racers use a ratchet strap to suck down their rears, but you will loose the use of the rear shock, but can be done if you are in a pinch and low on money.

Vealmonkey
09-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Have you thought about making and using a "strut bar"? Some "all thread' and some home made ends and you have yourself a home made shock eliminator or "strut bar". Being threaded, it is somewhat adjustable. They used set ups like these in many flat track racers and even the flat track missle kits.

Tri-Z Pilot
09-02-2011, 11:38 AM
So Veal what you are saying is just eliminate the shock and mount the strut from the frame straight to the swinger, no linkage?

riverrat
09-02-2011, 11:49 AM
ok starting to get my new (new to me) 85 250r set up for ice racing.

i am going to lower the rear of it, i would like to know if the adjustable link for the trx250 quad will work, and how much does it lower it.

also i would like to go like 4+ inches lower than stock. would the link lower it that mucH?

any pics of rear shock set up for ice racing or tt would be awesome !!!!!

Yes that link works. You will have to remove your skid plate also, it interferes.

Vealmonkey
09-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes, eliminate the link as well as build the strut bar. You will have some up and down adjustment, depending on how you build the bar. But for a relatively flat area, you don't really need a shock and a really short shock doesn't give you much suspension anyway. You can lower the trike as much as you want. Then it's all a matter of dealing with the front end. Raising the fork tubes in the triples, eliminating springs and cutting springs and maybe even cutting and machining the fork tubes if you want really low. Get an extra set of fork tubes and have at them to get the ride height you want. That way you can change back and forth from your lowering suspension to normal suspension without a ton of work. To build a strut bar is pretty cheap and a used set of fork tube assemblies you can find cheap enough if you shop around, then you just need to pester a buddy who is a machinist! LOL Or talk to DC, I'm sure he could fix you up with shortened fork tubes and springs.

Vealmonkey
09-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I can't remember the guy on the boards here who has the flat track missle kit, but he has the adjustable strut bar that he can post the pics of and give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. The strut bar was the only piece I won on ebay when the missle kit came up for sale, so when he posted he had all the parts but the strut bar, I had to ship it to him! LOL I sure wish I had bid more and gotten all those missle kit flat track parts. The all thread is something like 1" or thicker, so it's nice and sturdy and adjustable. Then it's just the matter of building the u-shaped piece on the bottom and the eyelet on the top and welding threaded nuts to each of those and then using a long thread nut in the middle and it should give you an inch or two of adjustment either way.

riverrat
09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I am having a hard time visualizing this strut bar, but it sounds interesting. Are you talking about eliminating the shock completely?

If you have an 85' the front forks have two sets of springs, just take out the upper ones, and you can get a little more by sliding the fork tubes in the triples like Veal said. Usually that is enough for ice. You will have to watch if you use a stock tire and rim as the tire with the studs will now crash into the pipe. We use a ten inch rim, with a 19-20" tire which helps it clear, and lowers it even more.

riverrat
09-02-2011, 12:22 PM
As you can see in my profile pic, this is how low I can get it with the setup I am using. Any lower then you will get stuck in even the smallest pile of snow as you ride out to the track on the ice. I already scrape sometimes. If you are not worried about hitting snow, then go lower.

riverrat
09-02-2011, 12:23 PM
sorry for the multiple posts, I think having a shock in the rear is helpful when you run off into the bank of the plowed track too, might help you from flipping if you hit the bank straight, which is what you should try to do once you realize you ain't making the turn.

Vealmonkey
09-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Yes, I'm talking of totally eliminating the shock and linkage. Also with the missle kits, they were using go kart tires.

riverrat
09-02-2011, 08:55 PM
There was a couple guys at icefest this year who did that to their tri-z's. They weren't that fast, so I didn't pay much attention to it, LOL.
Might be too stiff for the ice, where you can get ruts in the ice, and it can be pretty bumpy at times.

sbjones73
09-03-2011, 03:31 PM
i still want to have a shock in the rear, because it ain't that smooth out there when the ruts start from racing.

river ratt, can you get a pic of your rear set up ? please

and that is exactly what i planned on the fron, take the top springs out. that should be plenty for me.

so the trx quad lowering link will work for my 85 ? the one that dura blue has. correct?

thanks guys !!!

brd812
09-03-2011, 03:47 PM
We did both depending on track conditions. The strut system was a piece of 1inch box tubing drilled on top and 3 or 4 holes lower to adjust height. Before Dura Blue made adjustable dog bone we also made our own dog bones to lower the height. On Tecates you could flip the springs in the forks and that would drop the front like 2 or 3 inches without having fork tubes sticking way up. Hell it been alot years since I slammed a trike, those were good days. I'd get the trx dogbone and start there. If you are setting it up for flat only you can go the other way and save yourself a few bones.

sbjones73
09-04-2011, 02:55 AM
thanks guys !!!!!!!!! i think that is what i for sure needed. :beer

Tri-Z Pilot
09-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Yeah TRX wil work, as for the strut I was thinking of having a piece of pipe threaded on both ends then run an automotive tie rod link with a lock nut to give you adjustability.
Veal, you wouldn't need a U shape bottom bracket as you are mounting directly to the swinger would you? It's been awhile since I paid attention to an R's rear supsension, but doesn't the yhe bottom U mount around the dogbone and the tuning fork (can't remember the name) going to the frame? So the strut would only require single eyelets mounting straight to swinger?
Brd812, thats an awesome Idea, a piece of pipe with those spring assist buttons that pop out? I suppose bolts would work.
Jones if you want suspension buy the Linkage, or use that ratchet strap method I mentioned.

Rustytinhorn
09-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Here is a pic of my lowering link. Twists in (becomes shorter) to raise the height of the bike, and twists out (extends) to lower the rear of the bike. It replaces the "dogbone" going from the swingarm to the shock linkage. When lowering the rear beware there is an increased chance of the rear brake caliper coming into contact with your tail light or your tires to your plastic fenders. :wondering
Also included is a pic of what the durablue link may look like as well.

Tri-Z Pilot
09-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Yeah rusty, thats the Durablue link, I believe the brackets are for loewring the TRX's a-arms. You should be able to het the link separately for $65-$80 brand new.

sbjones73
09-04-2011, 11:03 PM
thanks !!!! got one coming !!!!

sbjones73
09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
ok.... got another question here about lowering link. dura blue has 2 listed for the trx250 one is for the 86 and the other that is available is for the 87 and on ,,, which one is the one i need?

thanks

riverrat
09-09-2011, 10:39 PM
The 86. There will be just a slight amount of slop in it, because it is not a perfect fit, but it's only .001" and not noticeable. Just don't MX with it is what I was told.

sbjones73
09-09-2011, 11:56 PM
sweet , thanks !!!! hey river riverrat, could you shoot me a pic of the front tire you have? please

Vealmonkey
09-10-2011, 12:24 AM
You can build your strut the way you want, the only reason I said the "U" shaped piece is that is the way the missle kit strut bar as designed.