PDA

View Full Version : Update....125m pops out of gear?

tri again
08-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Guy wants 125$ for it, smokes a little
but not real bad.

says it kinda hard to get into gear but it does go in and then pops out.
new tires mean something, I guess.

what should I do?

I'll get the firewood outta my truck and go bring some $$ if you guys say so.

thanks

oh what other plastics fit?
He says the seat's hosed but I have 90 and 110 plastics all over the place.

and isn't
t there also somethng 'weak' about the 125 m models?
cams go bad?

sorry for the rush, but deals are like that.

atc007
08-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Tranny would be the weak point. 84 and up 110 body and seat are identical. Usually the tranny trouble is in t he clutch cover side,,not splitting the tranny. If the tanks not rotten,,sounds like a buyer.

tri again
08-31-2011, 01:51 PM
yay
thanks 00

i searched the pops out topic and howdy saays
bolt comes loose
pawl gets bent
something else but all easy fixes.
side cover off and less than 1 hr.

so i think I'll go get it.

how you doing btw?

muthey
08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
also you can make an earlier 90 model fender and seat work as well, but you will have to move the starter relay and fuse box so it will latch down

shortline10
08-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Shift drum stopper is prob broke . Easy fix !!

atc007
08-31-2011, 05:47 PM
So,are we the proud owner of a One two five?? Pop the clutch cover off,,and like Shortline said,you'll see the shift drum stopper is sick : )

tri again
08-31-2011, 07:25 PM
got it. Never even seen one.
Cute as a bug,
Shifts ok if I rock it fore and aft not running.

So I guess tomorrow is autopsy day.

Thanks everyone.

oh, it starts with 1/2 pull, a tad too rich,
tank is not rotted and the tires are new.
100$ and a partial load of firewood.
I told him it was too cheap but that's all he paid for it a year ago...so the cycle continues.

PerryS
08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Please take some pics of your autopsy day i am going to have to do this to my 125m and i would like some pics of what to look for. It will appreciated drjoe

84HONDA_ATC125m
08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Mike sure the sub-transmission is fully switched into the range you want. Your year may not have a sub transmission, mine does and it is an 85. Whenever mine is not engaged completely you'll hear a clicking and then it will pop into gear and slip right out. Once it is switched properly it shifts excellent.

tri again
09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Mike sure the sub-transmission is fully switched into the range you want. Your year may not have a sub transmission, mine does and it is an 85. Whenever mine is not engaged completely you'll hear a clicking and then it will pop into gear and slip right out. Once it is switched properly it shifts excellent.

This one has a 1984 sticker on the frame 125m and it does have the hi lo option, like the 90 and 110's.
so yes, I am aware of that clicking you describe when the hi lo isn't all the way in.

and yes, perry, you reminded me to charge camera battery so will do.
007 said it's under the clutch cover?
now is that the big hemispherical rounded cover with the clutch adjust screw? or should I take off the side cover with the shifter?

I guess I could look at the manual.

Man, I almost took the wrong side of the engine apart.

Seems like the more I learn, the less I know.

I haven't tried to ride it yet, just shifted around with it not running and then loaded it into the truck.

Since it starts easily, I guess I can try to ride it before I waste wear and tear on my tools.

Maybe I got super lucky and it's just the hi lo not all the way in one or the other.

bigworm626
09-01-2011, 02:28 PM
drjoe,
Congrates on the new buy. 125M are great machines. Good power & love the electronic start feature if you have a battery.

tri again
09-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Looks like exhaust has to come off to get the rt side cover off.
Exh has one stud and one bolt so someone's been in there.
And the rt side clutch cover has 5 or 6 really pretty and shiney new phillips head screws.

Soaking the exhaust fasteners right now
and the shops should be closed for 3 1/2 more days so I guess I have time
to do nothing.
Shift drum stopper seems to be most common and a 10$ part.

Either way, the clutch cover comes off and hopefully either a loose bolt
or the drum stopper can be accessed without pulling the clutch requiring
that fancy looking special tool.

Just rocking it back and forth, (not running)
it seems to need 2 hits to get it into gear and pull up a couple times
to get it to downshift and sure seems to be imagining neutral in between.
so
down one = neutral
down 2 = first.
down again = neutral
down again = 2nd gear and so on.
coming back to first from 4th?
pull up once = neutral, up again 3rd
up again = neutral and up again = 2nd.

Funny because the little round white shift position indicator seems pretty accurate.

Sure hope I won't need that swing arm bearing axle looking tool to take the clutch off to get at
this stuff.

Doesn't sound like it from people who have been in there.
and yes, perrys the camera battery is charged so I will document.

muthey
09-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't know for certain on the 84's, but my 85 125m all the gears are up not down, but if it feels like it's going back into neutral there is definitely going to be a clutch cover coming off and some interesting pictures for us with 125's to look at

atc007
09-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Sorry ,been very busy this week! And the weekend looks even worse! Yes,,,you are headed exactly where you need to go. Off w the pipe,and cover,the diagram above is where you should find your problem! The manual from here will walk you right through!

tri again
09-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Sorry ,been very busy this week! And the weekend looks even worse! Yes,,,you are headed exactly where you need to go. Off w the pipe,and cover,the diagram above is where you should find your problem! The manual from here will walk you right through!

Thanks man.

You doin' ok?

tri again
09-03-2011, 01:54 AM
I don't know for certain on the 84's, but my 85 125m all the gears are up not down, but if it feels like it's going back into neutral there is definitely going to be a clutch cover coming off and some interesting pictures for us with 125's to look at

Not as bad as going from an asian bike to british back in the 60's
Shifters were on opposite sides so always wonder if it's the brake or shifter yer gonna hit.

Seems like all the 85 models have up shifts. maybe to eliminate people from STOMPING on the poor lil' shifters.
I go from my 90 to the sx or br and I'm confused for a while.

Yeah, I'll get it up on the picnic table, tip it on it's side and go at it.
About 1/2 the fasteners on the clutch cover are new phillips screw heads
and the rest are bolts so I guess we'll see who was in there and why.

Maybe I'll find a little green army man glued in there...the handgrenade guy for sure.

oscarmayer
09-03-2011, 07:45 AM
it's very common fo rthe sub trans to cause this. I had a 125 that did this. you may have to rebuild the suyb-trans to resovle it.

tri again
09-03-2011, 11:03 AM
it's very common fo rthe sub trans to cause this. I had a 125 that did this. you may have to rebuild the suyb-trans to resovle it.

You mean the hi lo gearbox the size of a fist?

or the whole gearbox?

I have a 110 that someone took 'some' gears out of the hi lo box.
It works great but only one range, I think it's hi range.

muthey
09-03-2011, 05:04 PM
of course it would be the little army man with the grenade, he just wants to wait till you hit the right speed and boom haven't you watched the movie speed lol

mustangpilot
10-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey Guys, so great info and great minds on here. I have some similair issues with my 82' 110, it will not go into 4th gear at all and experience similair shifting trouble getting into or out of any other gear(multiple shifts of lever to shift gear). Also When I give it much throttle it will slip out of gear.
I asked a couple shops around and thought was probably a broken shift fork or something. Each shop told me 300-400 just to look at it since would probably have to split the case. So I decided to tear into it myself. I got everything apart and the case split last night. Unfortunately I can't really see anything obviously wrong.

Any suggestions? Could it simply be a clutch issue and nothing wrong with the transmission internals?
I do know the guy who gave it to me over 15 years ago used automotive 10w-40, as did I not knowing really any better. Could this be part of the issue and maybe make the clutch in need of repair?

I am kinda stumped now so any help would be great!!!!

atc007
10-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Welcome,,this is called hijacking a post if you don't know! No biggy if you're as computer illiterate as I am. Just start your own thread the next time. You should find your problem inside your clutch cover in the very bottom of your case. Search this section,and I know you'll find pics. Drop your exhaust,,lube your head nuts overnight with some sort of penetrant to hopefully get them off without breaking your exhaust studs. Good luck,and report back!

mustangpilot
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
My apologies! I understand for next time