PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating Plastic Tank

motoman1012002
08-30-2011, 01:39 AM
So does this work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgPa7BlTGaw

GeoD
08-30-2011, 02:00 AM
I didn't watch the video yet. But someone was talking about this on another forum and I had to ask. How is the powder coating going to stick to the plastic? To properly powder coat something there has to be an electrical charge to the item being coated. That is how the coating sticks on the item. I will agree that can happen on plastic. But after it's coated the item has to be baked. Can the plastic withstand the duration of the heat needed to bake the coating on to it? I will watch the vid tomorrow. It's now time to hit the sack.

just ben
08-30-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't know I didnt see it going in an oven or coming out of one. I will ask the place I go to to see what they think. I'm thinking no but it would be nice

dougspcs
08-30-2011, 07:57 AM
As the other guys have mentioned, there is nothing about the common powder-coat process that would work with a plastic tank.

1/ Powder won't stick because you can't charge plastic
2/ You can't bake it because the tank wouldn't take the heat of the oven,
3/ Last the powder coat process creates a ceramic paint that is hard and durable but inflexible. The paint would chip like crazy!!

Not sure how this guy is reinventing that process??

aldochina
08-30-2011, 08:05 AM
powder has come along way!! If you use the new low temp powder, and are carefull it can be done i would imagine. the powder will stick to a pre-heated part without the charge. that is how you get the powder to flow into tight nooks and cranny's, pre heat the part, turn off the power supply, and just let the powder fall on the part. takes practice i'm sure. powder does have some flex characteristics, it is plastic after all!!

El Camexican
08-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Re: Powder coat being ceramic, or not flexing please note it is far more flexable than a plastic fuel tank, keep in mind that all paint is in some way a form of plastic. What I have not seen though is a powder coat that melts properly under 325F, so even if you could get the powder onto the tank I think you make a big mess in the oven.

aldochina
08-30-2011, 09:24 AM
supposedly there are powders that will cure at 240-250 deg. for 30 mins! certain types of plastic withstand heat better. not sure what type the tanks are, but they prob have a pretty high melting point, as they sit right above a crankin hot motor!! I may try it some time. not sure how expensive the low temp powders are.

justin4
08-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Some of the newer powders cure with uv lights , no heat at all. I did silk screening for mc intosh labs in Binghamton and we used uv lights to cure the ink in seconds and powder can be done the same way. I watched the vid , I don't know how he cured the powder,heat gun maybe but I know there are uv cured powders.

just ben
08-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Some of the newer powders cure with uv lights , no heat at all. I did silk screening for mc intosh labs in Binghamton and we used uv lights to cure the ink in seconds and powder can be done the same way. I watched the vid , I don't know how he cured the powder,heat gun maybe but I know there are uv cured powders.

in the vid he said he set the oven to 500 then turned it down to 250 but I didn't see any oven. I'm a skeptic but it would be nice if it is possible

stroberts22
08-30-2011, 09:42 PM
I think it would have the same result as painting a plastic tank in a few years. The gas will seap through the tank and bubble up the paint but it looks nice.

AJZ_200X
08-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Very interesting, wonder if the powder holds well? There is not much info. out there about this process. Someone should sacrifice their tank and see how it works. Let me tell you, there are a lot of NASTY looking plastic tanks out there! :lol:

motoman1012002
08-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I found this while doing some research I got a nos BLACK short track tank and hate it cause it aint red theres really no good way out there to paint a tank