PDA

View Full Version : Can't get 200X cam chain back on

Motorious
08-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Just got done doing some top end work (replaced burnt exhaust valve with Vesrah unit, honed cylinder, lapped valves, cleaned carbon from head, new Vesrah gaskets, etc.), ready to wrap it up, but can't get the damn cam chain back on the sprocket. Followed the factory manual to a T, released the tension and it is working properly (but doesn't seem to loosen chain any), piston moves freely, cam chain guide is installed properly (can only go on 1 way if I'm not mistaken), but chain seems to have shrunk: no matter what I try, it's not even close to fitting on the sprocket. I've just spent hours trying to get it on, and I'm frustrated as hell.Deepa Don't understand what could be wrong.:wondering

So damn close to gettin' her running again. Any suggestions?

just ben
08-29-2011, 08:06 AM
remove the cam gear put the chain on the gear then slide the gear with the chain on it onto the cam. It's probably going to take a few tries to get in the right position but it usually works for me

tri-Z ripper
08-29-2011, 12:24 PM
^^^ exactly right there!!!

oscarmayer
08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
did you leave the head loose or torque it down? i have foudn that if I do not torque the head it will not aling up correctly or it is then very tuff to get it to align. also, loosen the tensioneer bolt on the top of the case next to the cyclinder. take a tiny screwdriver (point type) and push down on the speing loaded peice in there (no not being totally technical here). While pushing down gently tighten the bolt back up so it locks the tensioneer in the loose position, this will also help to give you some extra slack.

Motorious
08-29-2011, 03:34 PM
As per the manual's instruction, I set the piston at TDC, loosened and set the cam chain guide by removing the small cam chain tensioner bolt, loosening the big tensioner nut, depressing the tensioner release button with a screwdriver, then tightening the big tensioner nut to hold it in place. Then I torqued down the head/cylinder, installed the cam thru the chain with the sprocket removed, then tried installing the sprocket with timing mark in 12 o' clock position. As I said before, the cam chain tensioner/release seems to be working properly (I can see/feel the guide moving with my eyes/finger/screwdriver as I depress the tensioner release "button"), but it provides absolutely no additional slack in the chain. The chain doesn't appear to be binding on anything because the motor spins smoothly and freely at the flywheel with the chain moving perfectly.

I can get the chain about half way around the sprocket, but it's still waaaaay too tight to fit where it needs to go on the camshaft sprocket mounting holes. Driving me effing nuts! Getting the camshafts in my 4 cylinder 16 valve FZR600 was a breeze compared to trying to get the cam in on this little beast.

Guess I'll just loosen the head/cylinder bolts and try again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

viking
08-30-2011, 12:28 AM
make sure you give the chain a good tug to make sure it is not binded up on its self down inbtween the lower timing chain sproket and th timing chain wall
Look with a flash light
Take the timing tensioner bolt right out and use the screwdiver as stated above puch it down as far as it can go.,.
THEN GIVE IT A GOOD TUG..
It might be jamed..

Motorious
08-30-2011, 04:35 AM
Yeah it was sorta like that viking: earlier today I pulled the valve cover off, shined a flashlight down into the cam chain well, saw that one side of the chain was caught under a little "nub" sticking out of the middle of the "timing chain wall" right above the crank sprocket on the piston side of the jug. Must have botched it when I was installing the jug onto the piston (kinda hard to guide the rings/piston into the cylinder while simultaneously compressing the rings/holding the jug/and guiding the cam chain with just 2 hands). ;)

I tried prying it out with a long skinny screwdriver without success, so the next step was to pull the head off, and this gave me enough room to get the screwdriver in the right position to free the chain. After that the sprocket went on the camshaft/chain easy...Just relieved I didn't have to pull the jug off again too!

Thanks again for the advice.

oscarmayer
08-30-2011, 10:02 PM
glad ya fixed it :) taking your tie is the best way. I've taken a motor appart 5-6 times before because I did not liek how it went together, before I fired it up. but when it fired, Hang on to your boots!!!!

just ben
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
glad ya fixed it :) taking your tie is the best way. I've taken a motor appart 5-6 times before because I did not liek how it went together, before I fired it up. but when it fired, Hang on to your boots!!!!

translate please

oscarmayer
08-30-2011, 10:39 PM
sorry i am exhausted.
i was trying to say, I'm glad he fixed it. Taking your time is the best way to ensure it runs correctly. I myself have taken a new motor appart 5-6 times before till I got it the way I wanted. (specs wise) Once it was right it ran like a scalded cat! so Hang on to your boots hen you ride it cause it's gonna go.

better? :)

just ben
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
that makes a lil more sense ,thanks. I thought It was too many bud lights on my part

oscarmayer
08-30-2011, 10:44 PM
hahahaha maybe ;) I been up since 5am. about to hit the hay cause i gotta get up early again.

Dang-it Billy, fix the darn chat please! it helps!

Motorious
08-31-2011, 02:25 AM
glad ya fixed it taking your tie is the best way. I've taken a motor appart 5-6 times before because I did not liek how it went together, before I fired it up. but when it fired, Hang on to your boots!!!!

Thanks oscar, I definitely took my time on this one, fortunately the little "hang up" with the cam chain was the worst thing that happened.

Got the motor back in the trike today, she fired right up and sounded AWESOME! No leaks and has more power than before. Time to go tear up some trails. :w00t:

oscarmayer
09-01-2011, 08:12 AM
outstanding! :) hey break it in the right way first before you tear the motor up.