PDA

View Full Version : hill climbing tips 85 200x

panthers06232
08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
i am trying to climb gravel pit hills they are pretty steep my buddy on his 300ex was not struggling to get up these like i was on the 200x is there any tips on the 200x to hill climb better i was wide open in 2 or 3rd gear at the bottom and a few i didnt make when the 300ex did make and we run pretty close together in a race this three wheeler is stock and has wholeshots on the back wheels and they are brand new any tips would help i cant understand it i rode up the same hills on his 300 and did find does the 200x just not have enough power to do it

booblinker
08-28-2011, 09:50 PM
yea 200x is kinda under powered for climbing a steep hill. Main thing is, make sure you don't upshift to quick, that is the quickest way to screw up a hill climb. Advice coming from someone that has never climbed a big hill in his life due to being a pussy.

atc007
08-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Wear your safety gear and practice,practice,practice. You can get a LOT more power out of an X with relative ease. But lean ahead and give her heck. The rest is experience. How long of a hill? I've never ran out of power,,climbing things that you can barely crawl up.. In the old days! Now I sit at the bottom of those same hills on a Can Am XXCR and cry like a baby....

jb2wheels
08-28-2011, 10:26 PM
My 200x experience is climbing dunes with my 280lbs on it. In the sand, it's about momentum management. Hit it with as much speed as you can and don't miss the 2-1 downshift. Lean out over the bars and hold it WFO.

Rev the piss out of it - it's what they're made for.

pcs
08-29-2011, 04:24 PM
def lean over the front bars, i have hit some steep hills on the 200x, should have enough power if all is well with the motor and carb. one of my riding partners has a all original 200x and it can out run 300s. be careful on a downshift bc it can pop your front end u. if you roll backwards down the hill, like if you stalled the engine, dont hit the rear brake hard bc it can cause the front end to come up as well.

mi500
08-29-2011, 10:03 PM
what kind of hill in the gravel pit? pea gravel, sand, dirt, rutted dry dirt? hills are fun just hit it and you will figure it out. i like to stand with my chest kinda centered over the bars. standing makes it easier to shift weight as needed and to bail if necessary. rev the piss outa it usually helps too.

fabiodriven
08-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Don't always lean over the bars. You have to gauge the hill and determine how much traction you need vs counter weight. If you lean over the bars unnecessarily you're going to lose traction. You have to keep some weight on the rear.

Like other people have said, hitting it with as much speed as you can is key. Downshift accordingly.

mi500
08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
haha yea the pic on my avatar is me at trike circus on the hil climb. ass down pinned WFO.

GeoD
08-29-2011, 10:28 PM
The following is all the advice you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHZJNQ5Y4A&feature=related

redskinman
08-29-2011, 10:32 PM
The following is all the advice you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHZJNQ5Y4A&feature=related

thats funny,I love that movie
I want my 2 dollars!

Nubbinz
08-29-2011, 11:07 PM
you could put a sprocket with more teeth which would give you more torque but less top speed. at least thats how i think the number of teeth effect it.

fabiodriven
08-29-2011, 11:18 PM
^^^That is some stellar advise.^^^

GeoD
08-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Torque always prevails over speed any day of the week!!

oscarmayer
08-30-2011, 10:05 PM
here's how I climb steep hills in my 200x or any atc. get goign good speed and hold throttle steady as you start the climb, as you near the top start to gently jsut ease off a tiny bit. when front tire clears top and starts to settle down on to top of hillgently add more throttle to bring back over the top.
that's the basics/ fro there you can perfect it for your style. but that's a safe way to do it w/o letting the front tire come up onto you. (ehhm.. no comments from peanut gallery please, i learnt my lessons.... :P ).

98600xc
08-31-2011, 11:19 PM
i know its hard on the machine, but if you have to, just start riding the clutch to prevent having to downshift

Tri-Z Pilot
08-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah as Oscar was saying watch the top, I put a Blaster on the grab bar right at the crest of a hill. What I do at the top is kinda pull up and push out the bars while taking the weight off your feet to bring the seat to your but kinda like bunny hoping

Afrothunderkat
09-01-2011, 01:46 AM
if its got hole shots, those tires are small and will dig you in. i bet you spin all the way up. its got plenty of power, learn and handle it.

bigred44
09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
If you are climbing the hill and find that you are not going to make it due to spinning out or loss of momentum and power, hit the kill switch and jump off to the right side of the machine keeping your hand on the front brake lever. With the machine in gear and hand on the brake it will stick right to the hill. Just dont lose your footing. Then, I usually just pull the machine around so its pointing back down hill so i can ride or walk it down, rather than backing it down the hill.

Also, as already stated, practice, practice, practice. Like most things, once done enough times just becomes second nature. Good luck and be safe.

Oh man i really want to go tackle some hills with the old 200x now.

tommerp
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
If you are climbing the hill and find that you are not going to make it due to spinning out or loss of momentum and power, hit the kill switch and jump off to the right side of the machine keeping your hand on the front brake lever.

Jump off?!? No no nooooo - Don't jump off!! When you know you aren't going to make it (and you should know or you shouldn't be climbing the hill in the first place), then the whip it to the right or left and head back down. Quite simple when you know how your machine is going to act (as long as it's predictable). Again.. like was said earlier.. practice, practice, and practice some more.

bigred44
09-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Whipping it around to go back down the hill is okay if you aren't on a tight and very steep trail weaving between trees. Where i come from we intentionally make the hill climbs as difficult as we can; not just a straight shot. Just makes it more fun that way.

fabiodriven
09-01-2011, 02:13 PM
If you are climbing the hill and find that you are not going to make it due to spinning out or loss of momentum and power, hit the kill switch and jump off to the right side of the machine keeping your hand on the front brake lever.

Um, yeah... That's some pretty awful advise right there.

If you stay on the machine and know how to use brakes you shouldn't have any problems with slowly backing down or spinning the machine around and riding forward down the hill.

Remingtonsteel
09-01-2011, 02:31 PM
didnt hear anyone else say this but tire pressure is very inportant sand dirt or whatever. to much air and you will spin.

Tri-Z Pilot
09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Actually jumping off the right side and grabbing the front brake is a correct and safe way of bailing on a hill. With you off the machine it lowers the center of gravity.

Remington I was about to post about tire pressure, jinx you owe me a coke, lol

wantit7898
09-01-2011, 03:04 PM
can anyone tell me how to post my 200x for sale cant git it to start

fabiodriven
09-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Actually jumping off the right side and grabbing the front brake is a correct and safe way of bailing on a hill. With you off the machine it lowers the center of gravity.

Y'know, I suppose there are situations where that could apply.

I usually do what tommerp said. Once I know that I'm not going to make it, I whip it around and just ride back down. Assuming there's room to whip around of course.

tommerp
09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Um, yeah... That's some pretty awful advise right there.

If you stay on the machine and know how to use brakes you shouldn't have any problems with slowly backing down or spinning the machine around and riding forward down the hill.

Amen brother Fabio!

I'll say it again, if you know your machine, and your own abilities, you should never be put in the situation to have to "jump off your machine" when climbing a hill... When you are off the bike, especially in a hill situation, you have just lost most of your ability to control that bike.

We all wonder why the smaller minority says "I run front AND back brakes all the time" and there is the "Team NO-BRAKES" piping in saying they don't need em... well my friends, here is the example where you DO need them. Learn to install brakes AND use them PLEASE!!

I'll tell you this, if I come off my machine while riding it, I just did something really stupid and it just kicked me off.

Tri-Z Pilot
09-01-2011, 03:28 PM
You know I bet we are all right. It just depends on the circumstances. Nothing ever happens the same in the universe.

Remingtonsteel
09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Remington I was about to post about tire pressure, jinx you owe me a coke, lol

HAHA.how bout a beer.lol

torque
09-01-2011, 04:42 PM
can anyone tell me how to post my 200x for sale cant git it to start

any one ever get the impression that this knuckle head is a former member, that got banned kicked off the site. or just plain does not know how to play well with others!!!

sorry but some one had to say it.

any how back to the hill climb

oscarmayer
09-03-2011, 08:26 AM
bigred44, if your able to weave up a hill, then your not riding steep enough. :P i've ridden up 62-65* inclines and it;'s touhg jsut getting up that let alone thinking your going to turn at all.