PDA

View Full Version : 1984 suzuki alt125???

seadoorider
08-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi, I bought a '84 alt 125 orange recently. Will post pics when I get it back together. In rough shape plastics are damaged. Flat tire and missing the odometer and brake lever.
Been going through it and got it running tonight.
Have some questions reagarding it?
Does this machine have a oil filter? Am I suppose to use motorcycle/atv oil in it?
On the rear axle is there oil in there to lube the bearings or grease? Is there a way to check it?
On the chain adjuster, does it automatically adjust or can I tighten up the chain?
Thanks

MonroeMike
08-27-2011, 01:02 AM
These may help answer your questions.

Service data.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?127081-ALT125-185-amp-LT125-185-Service-Data

Manual.
http://sr183g.dl4free.com/en/

brd812
08-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a 185 which is basicly the same. chain adjustment is undermiddle of the bike, loosen a 19mm bolt and slide the adjuster up and tighten. Oil filter is by the oil peak hole w/ 3 8mm bolts on the cover. Grease fitting for the rearend (don't over grease it if seals are bad, you'll graze the brakes). I run 15-40 Rotella in mine, but before there were machine specific oils I ran castrol 10-40 in mine for years. I've had mine for 27 plus years and were not kind years for the 10 plus. they are lil tanks, very lite and do very well in the mud. great little machine once you get the bugs worked out. start on the first pull and never die.

seadoorider
08-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi, thanks for the help!
Finally got to looking it over better didn't like what I found. Haven't rode it yet.
The bearing in the front wheel are dry/need replaced.
There is a crack in the rear alxe housing.
The frame is broke in on spot on the right side.
It needs chain/sprockets.
Has had various welding all over the machine.
Changed the oil and filter and cleaned the screen out. In the screen I found chunks of RTV sealant and pieces of metal!!?
Tried starting it again couldn't get it to fire with out starting fluid, to stay running.
Took the carb off cleaning it, went to put it back together. Lost the clip that keeps the ball valve in place! Won't have another until next week!
Any Idea what it's worth in this condition? Sorry for the long post.
Thanks

CRAZY70MAN
09-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi, thanks for the help!
Finally got to looking it over better didn't like what I found. Haven't rode it yet.
The bearing in the front wheel are dry/need replaced.
There is a crack in the rear alxe housing.
The frame is broke in on spot on the right side.
It needs chain/sprockets.
Has had various welding all over the machine.
Changed the oil and filter and cleaned the screen out. In the screen I found chunks of RTV sealant and pieces of metal!!?
Tried starting it again couldn't get it to fire with out starting fluid, to stay running.
Took the carb off cleaning it, went to put it back together. Lost the clip that keeps the ball valve in place! Won't have another until next week!
Any Idea what it's worth in this condition? Sorry for the long post.
Thanks

100-200.00 at the most. You can find them usually in ready to ride shape for 4-500.00 Great trike, I have had a few and still own 2. Got some parts if ya need em. Good luck

thestud25
09-01-2011, 08:29 PM
They are Blast! Don't quit know. Also, don't forget or in case you don't know, they ALT has reverse.

CRAZY70MAN
09-02-2011, 05:42 AM
They are Blast! Don't quit know. Also, don't forget or in case you don't know, they ALT has reverse. Yes it does and it has low range 1st gear when you shift from neutral up one instead of down. They are awesome in the mud.......a tad bit high centered and tip happy compared to most though IMO. Great trike still....

seadoorider
09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi, finally got the carb on got it running. Tried starting it with choke on nothing. Give it alittle throttle w/o choke and starts up and will run for about 30 sec then die. Start it up again and will do the same. Did get to ride it when it ran shortly!
Any thoughts on to what Is wrong or I screwed up on?
thanks

thestud25
09-06-2011, 04:10 PM
It sounds like you are still having carb issues. Did you clean every hole in every jet? Is your float level set properly? Those are two things I would check. The smallest particle can plug up a jet in your carb and prevent it from running. Also, I am not 100% sure, but do the ALT125's have a vacuum set up on the petcock and carb?

brd812
09-06-2011, 04:15 PM
It has a vac fuel pump on the tank. check the hose and see if it is there first. If it is there check for a leak.

atc007
09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
It should start up on choke,,then idle down with the choke . That being said,you still have a carb issue,,but, a Very common problem on these after someone worked on them. The pulse line from the intake boot to the fuel pump,,if it's routed OVER the frame,,the seat will pinch it and kill the bike. Make sure you always route your line Under the frame!

seadoorider
09-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. Got to looking at it last week and found the vent hose off the carb was plugged, a bee plugged it with mud.
Cleaned it out and now runs great likes it suppose to.
Now I have to look into the tensioner on the drive chain. The bearing in the sprocket is shot and 3/4 of a tooth is missing.
I looked on bike bandit and it looks like you have to buy the whole assembly. Is there a place where you can buy the bearing and sprocket?
thanks

seadoorider
09-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi, was searching for a chain tensioner and found this. It is a tensioner for a honda atc. http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/895-1613.html
It looks to be about the same thing, slightly different. Only thing is the hole with the splines looks to to be smaller?
Any one have any thoughts?
thanks

thestud25
09-16-2011, 12:00 PM
^^^^That will not work. You will destroy the splines and lose all function. Be patient and keep your eyes open on Ebay. Here is part of the Chain tensioner mechanism:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-alt-125-drive-chain-adjuster-ATV-/190412858724?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c557da564

Another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Arm-chain-Tensioner-ALT125-LT125-LT185-84-87-/260822744875?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cba3f3f2b