PDA

View Full Version : It Gets Worse and Worse...

CaptHamster
08-21-2011, 02:42 AM
I hope I'm not annoying anyone with my questions, but it's getting worse and I'm really getting stuck.

185s is getting to the point of impossible to start now. It's not the recoil starter itself, but the engine. Curiously I've noticed that when starting it, it catches (hard!...my poor shoulder) whenever the valves move, both intake and exhaust. The piston seems to be moving fine inside, because inbetween valve movements the engine turns very smooth. But it only catches and gets really hard to turn at the point where the valves either open or close. I adjusted the valves to spec the other day, does that mean I tightened them WAY too much, adjusted them incorrectly, or is there something else to it?, like maybe something to do with the cam?

Xpress
08-21-2011, 03:06 AM
You adjusted the valves with the piston on the compression stroke, correct? If so, then I'd be after your timing. The valves should have just an ever so slight amount of play in them- enough to hear a small tap when you move them.

tapper190
08-21-2011, 07:25 AM
is your decompression cable still working or do you just have the leaver on the valve cap?
Tapper

CaptHamster
08-21-2011, 04:07 PM
is your decompression cable still working or do you just have the leaver on the valve cap?
Tapper
That's actually a good call, i just went out and checked, and the cable still moves freely but when I pull the starter the decompression lever doesn't move hardly at all. It also doesn't help the hard turning if I hold down the decompression lever either...I'm assuming that the whole lever/assembly is bad? If so would that be the cause of the difficulty only on the valve movements of the stroke?

CaptHamster
08-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Any more help guys? I'd really like to know if this decompression lever is the cause, so I can avoid tearing into the head or anything like that.

muthey
08-24-2011, 02:44 AM
there is a good chance it is the decompression lever, either way I think you are going to have to tear into the head

dougspcs
08-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Pull the plug out and pull it over..make sure the engine is completely free without compression. Just to be sure there isn't a mechanical lock in the engine. Like piston hitting valve..chain jump?

Having the decompression valve not working will make it harder to start, but shouldn't pull your shoulder out of your socket unless you are like 90lbs soaking wet. It's only 185cc after all..

muthey
08-24-2011, 10:43 AM
hey doug tell that to my wife lol I have to start hers for her