PDA

View Full Version : My new 350X

JourneyMan
10-30-2003, 11:37 PM
Ok i have got a new 350X and as im going over it I notice some differences from my old one that was stolen. This one is an 1986 and my old one was a 1985 model. The one difference that stuck out at me was the rear brake system was different. there was a different stay setup for the rear caliper so it would stay in place. But have one problem as far as running. its easy to kick. I took off the decompresion cable and it was a little harder to kick but not enough to start. what could be the problem? It was also sitting for a year.

whiteman350x
10-30-2003, 11:53 PM
Well you need 3 things, compression, fuel, and fire. Get a new plug and check spark, clean carb, run a compresion test and then you will have a better idea what you are dealing with.

JourneyMan
11-02-2003, 01:15 AM
the X runs. It smokes, I just had to clean out the carb. the only question is why is it so easy to kick over and I dont have the decompression cable hooked up either.

J.D.
11-02-2003, 01:22 AM
Low compression = Worn Rings, Worn Piston, Worn Cylinder, Valve Seals....any one, or a combo of them will give low compression ;) have fun

JourneyMan
11-02-2003, 02:59 AM
its dejavu for me. the same begining as i had on my other X. The only problem is do I want to put the money into it again. I mean i only do little amounts of riding here and there but I just like to work on them and restore old machines. So far for parts to make it as good as new it needs a voltage regulator, right foot peg, rear brake caliper, rear master cylinder, rear brake pedal, grab bar, a new rear tail light, redo the gas tank, and put a small weld on the rear of the frame where it is cracked. and thats is as far as the body and mechanics goes. and the motor probably and hopefully just needs new piston and rings because of the smoke. But she starts right up now and runs strong. And this time if I do restore it, Its gonna be ebay and no factory parts. I spent too much unneeded money last time at bat. And i am now gonna secure this one real good.

J.D.
11-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Before you do piston and rings though, check compression. It may just be valve seals letting oil come by and such.