PDA

View Full Version : big red rear axle disassembley elp

merlinwag
08-20-2011, 04:15 AM
i did a forum search and didnt find much info on this.

i was using my big red to help a friend move a truck. i didnt hear anything break, but now it only applies power to one wheel. i am assuming i broke the axle? how in the world does this come apart. i can take a 250r apart in about 15 minutes, but this gear drive has me waiting for a little direction.

any help or pics appreciated

coolpool
08-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Are you 100% sure the axle isn't spinning in the hub? Maybe you only wrecked the hub splines. I would tend to think that if the solid rear axle broke, it would start to wander out of the carrier.

dougspcs
08-20-2011, 08:27 AM
For sure check 'coolpools' idea 1st..alot less work. But if that doesn't pan out then here is a link to some manuals..

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

You didn't say which BigRed you had, but most of them are here..if you have a 250es then look up the 250sx manual for the instructions. Though they aren't completely identical, they are 90% the same..

The 250es manual is in here somewhere, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Big Sal
08-20-2011, 01:22 PM
I rebuilt the rear in my SX....no manual...pretty straight forward...the axle slides out of the rear "carrier"...I have to agree with Cool Pool I would check the hubs....that axle is pretty stout...if it broke it would definitly go out with a "bang" if it broke under a load....as I remember I dont think the axles would walk out....there are collars on both sides that keeps everything from moving side to side, the end tubes keep the axle in place...