PDA

View Full Version : New Tr-z owner with a couple questions

MN250R
08-20-2011, 02:10 AM
I picked up a tri-z from my friend for $700.00. It has new fenders, brakes and tires and no rips in the seat. He aslo sand blasted the frame and swing arm and repainted them with the factory paint.He told me the only thing wrong with it is when it gets less than a half a tank it wont start or run. Even if on the reserve. He thinks the fuel pump might be bad. Anyone experience this? Also, it has a twist throttle, im looking for a thumb one. im going to restore this machine to factory.

Thanks!

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2816/img2481k.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/img2481k.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Tri-Z Pilot
08-20-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm willing to be its the fuel pump to, might be able te get away with rebuilding it,I believe they still offer the diaphragm rebuild kit.
As for the thumb throttle, I put a Banshee one on my old one, but you could use one from a 250R. I suggest goin with a 250R unit with the dual adjustable throttle cable thats the best setup in my eyes. You just wanna make sure whatever you use opens the slide the whole way.
I suppose these are your best options, I played hell tryin to find a Tri-Z thumb throttle years ago.

ama009
08-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Nice Purchase!!!! Not that I am even close to knowing a lot about the Tri-z yet, but If the pump has never been rebuilt, I want to agree with Tri-Z Pilot too.

Mosh
08-20-2011, 09:54 AM
If the bike runs good until half tank, I doubt the fuel pump diaphragm is the issue. However there is a valve in the fuel pump case, that may be the culprate. I am unsure if that can be rebuilt, as I have never tried or needed to..I would check that both hoses coming from the pump, are not obstructed or kinked first, before tearing down the pump.

To switch to a thumb throttle with a stock carb, you will need a Banshee Thumb throttle and a 86 Tri-Z cable.(85 cable will not work). You will also need the 45 degree elbow piece for the top of the tri-Z carb where the cable goes in.
I would guess that the twist throttle does not use that elbow at the carb cap, and is long gone by now.
The 86 cable and elbow piece will have to be ordered at the dealer or thru Yamaha. The elbow piece may be discontinued by now, I am not sure as I have not ordered one in over 4 years.
Nice buy for 700.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-20-2011, 10:53 AM
That's right, I forgot the 85's had that weird spilt design, I believe I did get an 86Z throttle cable. I don't see not having that 45 degree fitting affecting too much. Every carb I have played with has been a straight shot with the cable outta the top of the carb.

It's been a couple years since I wrenched on a Z so its prob best to go with Mosh's advice.

tri-Z ripper
08-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Mosh you can run it without the elbow yet it makes the actual cable tight and causes unnesacary wear on the cable! i run a Honda thumb on one and a Banshee one on the other Z

MN250R
08-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Where do you get a 86 tri-z cable at? i looked on cheapcycleparts under 86 triz and they didnt list one. I can get the banshee thumb throttle on ebay and that 45 degree bend

Tri-Z Pilot
08-20-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking you should try that dual adjustable cable (It adjusts at the handlebars and halfway down the cable)I have no idea what it's listed under, but I'm sure someone on here does. Maybe check an aftermarket carb company? ESR?

MN250R
08-20-2011, 06:01 PM
I looked at my carb today, it already has a dual adjustable cable and trhe carb already has the the throttle elbow on it. Im gonna order a banshee throttle from ebay and try and see if it works with that setup.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Good deal may save some money, although you shouldn't seeing as you got that Z for $700, LOL

MN250R
08-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Anyone know where to get a 86 tri-z thumb cable at? Or one that will work with my banshee thumb throttle I just got?

Thanks!

tri-Z ripper
08-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Www.bikebandit.com www.cheapcycleparts.com

MN250R
08-28-2011, 11:36 PM
I was not able to find the cable on either site for the 86 triz. Does a 85 250r cable work with the banshee thumb throttle?

Remingtonsteel
08-29-2011, 01:29 AM
cant hurt to pull the fuel pump apart not much to them and can first try just cleaing all the screens real good