PDA

View Full Version : need help! honda atc 110 weak spark!

jakeesspoo
08-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Im ready to put this trike back up into the barn loft. I have a honda 110 1980 model. Its a points model NOT CDI . I have had a problem with a weak, to little or no spark at all. I cleaned up the magnets on the flywheel and the stator coil. I have disconnected the switches and ran my wire straight from the points to my black wire coming out of alternator to my coil. I at least have the gap set correctly on the points and I cleaned them but haven't replaced them. Also not sure if my timing is correct but that shouldn't affect wether or not I have spark should it? The timing should only have to do with when the engine is firing/stroke so it shouldn't affect my spark should it? I have a new plug and have tried a new 6 or 12V universal coil that I got from ATC Heaven and have had the same thing as before either no spark at all or once in a while a tiny bit of spark... I have not replaced the condenser or points, could this really be the problem? I put my multi-meter on the black wire from alternator to ground and had a low ac voltage coming out but I can't remember what it was. What should the voltage be? Anyways any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Im ready to bury this thing! :(

1985BigRed250ES
08-19-2011, 10:43 PM
have u tried a new plug?

just ben
08-19-2011, 11:10 PM
condensors almost never go bad but then again it could be 30 yrs old. I would change out both the points and condensor. cheap and easy and good insurance and possibly your problem

jakeesspoo
08-20-2011, 08:11 AM
I have a new plug in there. As far as points I wouldn't think that that would affect the spark "strength" but I could be wrong. In my mind the points just ground out and tell the coil and condensor when to throw the spark... but I could be wrong.

just ben
08-20-2011, 08:24 AM
your right but it they dont contact no spark. my first suspect would be the condenser.

shortline10
08-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Most of the time its the points even if they look good they will need replaced just from sitting for a long time they go bad . The condenser is part of the coil and not replaceable unless you replace the coil also . Check the coil really good for cracks in the plastic housing . My bet is the points and its only a $6.00 part .
You can also remove the spark plug cap and check spark to the head , cut about a 1/4" off the coil wire for a fresh piece of wire . This will eliminate the cap and sparkplug from being good/bad .

tri again
08-20-2011, 10:46 AM
x2 with sl.
I keep forgetting that last 1/4 inch of the coil wire can get corroded.
Fast free fix.
I've also taken the cap off, shove a sewing needle or similar into the coil wire an inch or so and see if it throws spark directly from the coil wire to the case.
You may be surprised.
I guess those spark plug caps can go bad too.

I've used some real fine sandpapaer to clean the points and then clean them real good
by pulling a clean matchbook cover between them or fold the sandpaper to the regular paper side.

A matchbook cover used to be around .007" btw so doubled thickness is around the same as the points gap.

Thorpe
08-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Clean the chassis ground where the coil mounts, and all the bolts that hold the coil to the frame, and condesnor... Dirty grounds do some crazy stuff....

jakeesspoo
08-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I was running service calls on saturday near the local Honda shop and I ran in to see if they had points and a condenser for my bike. I have no idea what the user "shortline10" is saying when he says the condenser cannot be replaced that it is part of the coil. I replaced the condenser and points and now have good spark. So the problem must have been one of the two. I was going to change out the condenser back to the old and see if I lost my spark again but I don't want to push my luck.

shortline10
08-21-2011, 08:45 PM
You claimed your bike is a 1980 110 model which has the condenser mounted to the coil and NOT removable UNLESS you cut it off . You must have a pre 1978 model which has a removable condenser . If you gave me the correct information in your first post :rolleyes::welcome: BTW thanks for the Disrespect :banned:

I was running service calls on saturday near the local Honda shop and I ran in to see if they had points and a condenser for my bike. I have no idea what the user "shortline10" is saying when he says the condenser cannot be replaced that it is part of the coil. I replaced the condenser and points and now have good spark. So the problem must have been one of the two. I was going to change out the condenser back to the old and see if I lost my spark again but I don't want to push my luck.