PDA

View Full Version : 350X speedo

atctim
08-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Does anyone on here have a speedometer mounted on their 350X? I would like to see pictures - but here are a few questions:

1 - what keeps the gear box from spinning? Surely not just the cable tension.
2 - where does the OEM cable hoop mount?
3 - does the speedo mount seem to tilt "outward"?

the great gazoo
08-19-2011, 05:40 PM
VealMonkey's got the set up on his '85, maybe he'll chime in...............

devilman
08-19-2011, 07:07 PM
the notch in the gear box fits in the piece that comes off the hub to keep it from spinning. mine seems to be in a good place, not tiliting out or anything and not sure what you mean by hoop?

Vealmonkey
08-21-2011, 12:09 AM
The act of the gearbox itself being sandwiched between the hub and the forks keeps it in place once your axle is all tightened down. The gearbox goes in place of the spacer on the right side of the axle. You can rotate the gearbox to best position it by loosening the axle and just moving it around where it lets the cable exit the best. The "loop" goes over the lower leg above where the cable exits the gearbox. You may or may not have to move it up or down to keep the cable from contacting the wheel and/ or tire, so there is a little leeway in where exactly it should be. The mount doesn't really tilt to one side or the other.

GeoD
08-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi atctim.

I never had a speedo on my X but I have the mount on my front. I put a yellow cap on the mount to keep the crud out of it. I do have a speedo in my garage but I think it's for a 200X because the end of the cable didn't fit in the mount. The speedo itself mounts onto the trips.

Vealmonkey
08-21-2011, 10:21 PM
GeoD, The cables are pretty much universal. So the cable should fit. If the cable doesn't fit, you have the wrong cable or the end is messed up to your gearbox or cable.

Vealmonkey
08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
GeoD, I was just thinking too, looking at your picture. If you look at that gearbox from the right side of you 350x, it is shaped like a lower case letter "d". The circle for the "d" is the actual gear box itself, where the straight part is the drive that turns the speedo cable. If you look where the circle meets the straight part at the top, there should be a phillips head screw there. You have to take that out to get the end of you speedo cable to fit into the housing and then you have to put the phillips head screw back in to hold the outside of the speedo cable to the gearbox. Then your cable will have a male slot in the end and it has to fit into the female slot in the gearbox. Have you tried doing that?

atctim
08-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Geo - also - any Honda cable driven fro mthe front axle cable will work. I have a late model XR400 speedo cable on my Big Red. Special BIG thanks to Devilman for sending me the pics I needed! I have the hoop facing forwards, I'll change that tonight~!

GeoD
08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
VealMonkey. I believe you are correct regarding the shape of the inside of the gearbox (it's been a while since I looked at it last). I think the end of the speedo cable is rectangular. One of the two don't match wether it's the shape or both are male ends. The next time Im at my garage I will snap some pics. I don't know when that will be since I haven't even seen my bikes at all this year!! I gotta get my arse RIDING!! Anyway, I was never really too amped up about hooking up the speedo because I thought it always looked like ass. The mounting bracket puts the gauge way up above the handlebars. Plus, in this day n age who needs a speedo when we have GPS!! Thx for the tips guys. I will be sure to check it out next time I see my bike. One day I will gather all my parts and put them up for sale. Speedo included (but not the gearbox).