PDA

View Full Version : 1984 atc 250r rear assembly questions

bigbird6616
08-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi this is my first post to three wheeler world, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.
Anyways i recently bought an 84 250r and I am lost on a few things on general maintenance.
-I need to tighten the chain and i don't know how
-The rear axle has some play were it goes through the swing arm (seems really loose)
and i don't know how to tighten it
-I dont know what oil to but in the bottom end of the motor
If anyone has any answers to these issues please help me out.

Also any other advice is greatly appreciated

Vealmonkey
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Get a honda shop manual for your trike, it will help you out alot in the long run if you are doing your own work.
The rear bearings inside your swingarm may be shot, so you won't be able to tighten up on them. The will need replaced. The manual will tell you what oil you need for your 250r, but it needs to be motorcycly oil not car oil. You will need to go over your trike from top to bottom and front to back to make sure it's safe enough to ride. Start by cleaning your trike up real nice and making sure it's not missing any nuts or bolts or has a cracked frame or swingarm. Check your brake system. Check your front wheel bearing for excessive play. Check your chain to see if it needs replaced. Lube your cables. Check for loose nuts and bolts. You'll need a good inch/pound and foot/pound torque wrenches since it's easy to overtighten nuts and bolts and cause yourself lots of heads. Welcome to the boards and ride with a helmet. Best of luck. Where's the pictures? LOL

hillbilly 200x
08-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the board. try the "World Class Help" Sub Forum in Trikesyvania. You can download a manual there.