PDA

View Full Version : What should factory 1985 250R rear fenders look like ???

match
08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Hello gang ! Just back into owning a 250R after 18 or so years (had a bone stock 85 250R and a flat track modded 84 250R back then) and just purchased a 85 250R. I've started cleaning / detailing her out and polished the tank as per Mr Clean's tutorial. (Which turned out awesome !! Thanks Mr. Clean !!) However, when I started polishing on the rear fenders, the plastic stays a dull / cloudy color. The area I am testing on is the front of one of the fenders, and there's a lot of pitting. Other than the scratches and pitting, the fenders are straight, not cracked, and no white stress marks. I was wondering if they might be aftermarket fenders, because they are in no way reacting to polishing like the tank did. I noticed that the fenders have a couple of raised lettering warnings / tire pressure info made into the plastic......factory or aftermarket....that is the question...and....should I get more aggressive with the sandpaper / polishing ??? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, and glad to be here !!!

dcreel
08-17-2011, 01:38 PM
If there is a raised warning in the plastic center rear behind the seat they are oem fenders

match
08-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Yep, says something to the effect of "Operator Only : No Passengers" and Tire Pressure info is in a raised box to the left of the seat.

rdlsz24
08-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty sure my 85 fenders are oem but I don't think I have the raised lettering. The chain and tire pressure info is on the triangle sticker on the left side below the seat.

Rob

Mosh
08-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Easiest way to identify OEM R fenders.
Turn them over and inspect for 2 hollow holes casted into the plastic for the wire brace.
These would be about 6 inches up from the bottoms of the front of the fenders by your heels, on the wheel side (or underneath)
No aftermarket company ever made those mounts casted in the plastic, for the wire support brace.

R-tifacts
08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong) the story goes: If you bought a brand new 85 in 85 trike fenders will have stickers you go home, flip and brake said fenders. You then go to your Honda dealer and buy Honda plastic it will be raised letter. Still oem honda but not factory factory honda ? Is this correct? I was led to believe the raised letter thing was a new old stock type of thing, cheaper to do than stickers and 86 was raised letter all the way? yes/no?

match
08-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Mosh, the wire support brace bosses are made as part of the fender. BTW, I just boxed up my seat and sent it to y'all for restoration. Anybody ever try to sand / polish this style of fender ?? I hate to damage them by sanding, although they don't look that great what with all the scratches / pitting.....the fender plastic "seems" softer than the tank plastic....

Xpress
08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Polishing red fenders SUCK! The tanks are easy peasy, but the plastics are just a total nightmare to get right. They need lots of love with 220, 320, 400, 800 then 1600 grit wet and papers. If it's heavy oxidization then scrape it with a razor blade first. Then lots of polishing with abrasive (I think..) polishes for plastics to get that shine.

My Tecates red plastics certainly look better than they did when I got them (pink in color and heavy oxidization) but you can still see lots of scratches from sanding.

pablo
08-18-2011, 02:28 AM
R-tifacts is correct.

My 85 in 85 did not have the raised warning on the left fender or center rear locations.

perrycyn
08-19-2011, 04:19 PM
When you purchased your shiney new 250r from the Hondashop your fenders would have the raised warnings on the fenders and headlight garnish. After you trash you originals the OEM replacements would just have sticker warnings on the fenders and headlight garnish.

Red Rider
08-19-2011, 04:43 PM
In 1985, the 250R's rear fenders had no embossed warning/info labels on them, just decals. The 1986 250R was the first year for the embossed warning/info labels.

If your 1985 250R has embossed warning/info labels on the rear fenders, then someone has swapped out the plastic. If you ordered new rear fenders from Honda, once all of the '85 plastic was gone, all that they produced was the '86 version.

Mr. Clean
08-19-2011, 06:09 PM
You guys got it all wrong.....OEM fenders look like a pile of these

http://www.marshu.com/articles/images-website/articles/presidents-on-us-paper-money/one-hundred-100-dollar-bill.jpg

match
08-19-2011, 11:53 PM
True......sad, but true......
Mr. Clean, have you ever tried sanding / polishing a set of these fenders ????

Xowner
08-20-2011, 12:12 AM
you guys got it all wrong.....oem fenders look like a pile of these

http://www.marshu.com/articles/images-website/articles/presidents-on-us-paper-money/one-hundred-100-dollar-bill.jpg

winnner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mosh
08-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Mosh, the wire support brace bosses are made as part of the fender. BTW, I just boxed up my seat and sent it to y'all for restoration. Anybody ever try to sand / polish this style of fender ?? I hate to damage them by sanding, although they don't look that great what with all the scratches / pitting.....the fender plastic "seems" softer than the tank plastic....

Thanks for your business.

I have wet sanded and polished quite a few oem plastic pieces. Some had spray paint, or automotive paint on them, and were just plain white from oxidation. Black, red, yellow, Honda and Yamaha pieces.
Go down to the hardware store grab a pile of wet and dry sand paper (400-1500 grit) and some good polishing compound, and wear yourself out. At this point what do you have to loose.
There is a tutorial that is posted here from years ago by a member (Chainsaw) back in like 2004. I think you can find it in the world class help section, as well as some other good polishing threads/tips posted by others.
His was the method we have always used, and had good results.

match
08-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Yep, basically following that tutorial. I'll try to post some pics of what I'm dealing with later today.

match
08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Ok gang, gonna try to post a pic of the fenders as they basically were. You can see a spot about the size of a fist on the front LH fender where I sanded 220, 320, 400, 800, 1500, then lightly polished..
Second pic after 220, 320, 400
Another view after 220, 320, 400
I sure hope it gets better after more wet sanding and final polishing ..... :(

Mosh
08-21-2011, 08:42 AM
They will get better. You can see the low spots the sand paper has not hit, Just be patient and follow the instructions.
It is going to be alot of hard work, but will pay off in the end.