PDA

View Full Version : Stumped on my YTM 175

chrisN
08-16-2011, 07:56 PM
So this bike was running good all spring, then it sat for about a month. When i went to take it out it would run fine for a few minutes until it got warm, then as soon as i would get past 2nd gear it would die on me. I would let it sit for a minute then it would start up again and the same thing would happen.
I thought perhaps its a bad CDI?

I have not had a chance to look at it until this week, and now it wont even fire up. Its getting a good spark, it is getting fuel and there is good compression. Any thoughts/ideas as to what else I should look at/consider?

Vealmonkey
08-16-2011, 08:34 PM
There is a flaw in your story somewhere my friend. Fuel, spark and air are the big 3 in the fire triangle. For some reason, you are not getting all 3 at the proper time. If you are getting spark, then I would somehow consider a fuel or air issue. If you tell me next that you aren't running an air filter or the air filter is all clogged up, well, then there is your problem. You are running really lean or really rich. If you are running lean, watch out. If you do get your bike started, it may try and death rev! Be ready to pull your spark plug wire and that may not even help. If your filter is dirty, then you aren't getting enough air, rich condition. Pull your plug and check for a wet plug or check for a fouled plug. How did you check your spark? You should have noted the condition of the plug at the same time. Unless you have x ray vision and do not need to remove the plug to see if you are getting spark! LOL

three_wheelin45
08-16-2011, 09:09 PM
^^ check the plug and air filter!!

just ben
08-16-2011, 11:01 PM
I assume you mean a yt 175? I experianced a similar deal with a yt 175. it turned out to be the hub on the flywheel cracked.

RubberSalt
08-18-2011, 05:20 AM
9 times outta 10 i would say its a fuel issue. Old gas doesn't burn well, Old gas can gum up a carb, like veal said, dirty filter can make it run rich, no filter=lean.

You've got spark, its fireing and running, you've got compression - it runs... Your carb/filter needs cleaned up.