PDA

View Full Version : 1983 atc 185

drummer4321
08-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forums, just bought a 1983 185 atc. It runs, but smokes a lot and seems to be burning oil. i am going to drain the oil and replace it. any other ideas? Thank you

bkm
08-16-2011, 12:27 AM
First off Wecome to 3ww, second by draining the old oil and replacing it, all you are doing now is burning new oil instead of old. The engine needs to be torn down and inspected and all parts that do not meet spec or are damaged to the naked eye need to be replaced.

Now before you ask the question and get another one of these treads started, I'm gonna save you the trouble. Asking what could be wrong inside the engine is 100% impossible to answer unless we have our hands on the engine iself. At the very least some pics of the internals and specs could be helpful but without holding it in your hand, you might as well be pissing in the wind to try and diagnose it over the internet.

tri again
08-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forums, just bought a 1983 185 atc. It runs, but smokes a lot and seems to be burning oil. i am going to drain the oil and replace it. any other ideas? Thank you

hey there and welcome.
Trike new 2 you?

My last 250 had a bad fuel shutoff and a quart of gas flowed into the cylinder and down into the crankcase oil and diluted it bad. YEAH it smoked an almost exploded.
You may want to try a simple compression check.
If it's low, you may get away with a simple set of rings
or if you are real lucky, valve stem seals, if it even has them.
or
super lucky like me and fresh, undiluted oil, or god knows whatever, whomever put in it before.
Just dump the old oil out the dipstick tube and clean the screen.
If you tip it up real good, oil won't leak everywhere.

I usually get them going as cheaply as possible...2 bucks for oil,
make sure there are no major terminal engine noises and have all the gears.....
then a prayer of thanks and THEN jump in and start fixing stupid stuff.
Hopefully with very little or no $$.

83?
Carbs are easy to clean.
Nice to clean the tank out too.
Fresh gas. and that oil change.
Under the cover that says 'cdi' might have some superfine
rustdust so that's nice to blow out of there.

Shop manuals are free in the 'world class help' section
and the orig sales brochures are fun to read.
I think the owners manuals are on here too and they tell you what
wants attention.

What color is the smoke?
could be moisture in the muffler if it's white.
blue is oil and black is gas?
what color is the sparkler?

Be careful.
Most of us started with only one trike.

PS - the search key is working really well these days if you have specific questions.
and pls keep us posted on what you find.
another resurrection story will undoubtedly help someone else.

drummer4321
08-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the responses, the smoke is white, and luckily the engine doesn't make any noises. I just changed the oil, haven't ran it after that yet. I was hoping to not have to take the engine apart right after i bought it. Thanks

drummer4321
08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
I decided to dive in and replace the pistons rings and top end gaskets. I cant figure out the year on this atc, it says 1980 on the fork, but it has front suspension, which i thought wasn't until 1983?
Also, what size piston rings do i need? on the piston, it says .50

drummer4321
08-17-2011, 11:19 PM
bump......

zackwhite
08-17-2011, 11:26 PM
u got no choice in takeing it apart.it will need to be done and its ganan cost u atleast 100 for new pistin and rings.

drummer4321
08-18-2011, 08:31 AM
should I put a new piston in, i was going to put new rings for sure. on the piston it says .50, so I'm wondering if someone bored it out

drummer4321
08-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Anyone? could use your opinion