PDA

View Full Version : 225 dx rebuild

Lil Earl
08-15-2011, 10:45 PM
alright guys, so its about time when i can start on projects again, my 1985 225 dx is badly in need of a top end job, it will burn about a quart of oil in 2 hours, haha, so i was curious of what yall though i should do and if there was somewhere i could get all the parts i need at once. i have not dug into a 4 stroke yet so i was thinkin rings, valve seals and what else, i appreciate all input.
thanks guys
jimmy
Edit: well i think i am deciding that i will rebuild the entire motor if it is not too expensive, so any idea on an average price on an entire price if my cam and stuff like that is still good?

Lil Earl
08-16-2011, 09:21 AM
nobody can help me out with this?

Lil Earl
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
bump.......

Lil Earl
08-16-2011, 06:20 PM
i really hate to keep bumping this up to the top but i am not sure on what all i need to acquire in doing a top end rebuild

mdwohleber56
08-17-2011, 02:23 PM
hey mann i just rebuilt the top end on both my 225dxs. ive been working on them for like 6 months now and just got the one to start up. not sure how much help ill be but ill tell you wat i know. ebay armor tech complete top end kit comes with EVERY thing you need to rebuild the top end gaskets, seals and orings atleast. make sure you check the valve spacing while you have the head pulled off. replace the piston and rings(atleast the rings) and give everything a good cleaning. now for going through a lot of oil maybe check to see if you have a gasket leak somewhere also might wanna check out your oil filter and pump. these trikes are old and burn oil

Lil Earl
08-18-2011, 08:28 AM
alright thanks, one of my biggest questions was with the valves, like i said i had never done a 4 stroke yet so i was not sure what to get for those

mdwohleber56
08-24-2011, 01:21 PM
look in the manual it tells u the spacing if u dont have one its on this site somewhere and the kit comes with the seals and guides

Lil Earl
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
i know i have to tear it apart first to see the isssues, but i should get rings, valve seals, and gaskets.

so if nothing is worn out, what else would be a good idea to get.

muthey
08-24-2011, 03:47 PM
when you have the top end off really do a look over on the cylinder and the piston, as that much oil there is a good chance you will need to have it bored and a new piston to go with it, might want to get a new cam chain as well can't hurt to replace it, when you are working on the head check the valves closely and do a lapping job on them if need be to recreate a good seal chances are they will need it, and with any of the parts crank included hit me up the only thing I don't have anymore is the head sold my spare never know what is bad till you look it over and find out you need it

Lil Earl
08-24-2011, 04:28 PM
by cam chain you mean timing chain?

muthey
08-25-2011, 12:42 AM
yes, the timing chain/ cam chain will probably be alright but it won't hurt to replace something that might be on it's last hundred hours they eventually stretch out and then snap, and not knowing when it was last replace leaves room for failure. I ran out of daylight to get those pics taken, but I will get them asap, today turned into a really busy day

Lil Earl
10-24-2011, 10:25 PM
well i think i am deciding that i will rebuild the entire motor if it is not too expensive, so any idea on an average price on an entire price if my cam and stuff like that is still good?