PDA

View Full Version : Honda 350x clutch replacement help

bhillis99
08-15-2011, 04:14 PM
I am in the process of purchasing a clutch kit for my 350.
I know the popular brand is Barnett and Oem. I seen were EBC has one for a decent price.
What would you guys suggest and For yall who have changed your clutch before is there anything I need to know thats not in the manual that might surprise me?

Dirtcrasher
08-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Don't run an EBC clutch and just follow the service manual as well as the hundreds of threads here on clutches for tips and tricks........

It isn't hard, nor is it easy if you don't have all the tools and know how.

pablo
08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Whats the deal with EBC clutch kits?

Mondexbrute
08-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Go with OEM Honda for sure!

Dirtcrasher
08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Whats the deal with EBC clutch kits?

CHEAP!! You get what you pay for; They slip and thats it, then you do it again...

You guys wanna buy cheap brakes, fine, to each there own. You just have to replace them more often and they stop like crap when hot or wet. But, at least you don't have to take an engine apart to get to them...........

tri again
08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
dc? you're my hero.
I should pay you to raise my kids.

What you say makes such perfect sense, they may even listen to you.

I even tried, 'when you run out of gas, you put gas in them".
and when you run out of oil, you put a new engine in them."

didn't sink in.

oldtime3wheeler
08-15-2011, 09:10 PM
I put a EBC dirtracer clutch kit in my 350x 2 years ago. Have not had one problem with it yet. No slipping whats so ever.
I do believe in what Steve says, but for the price($70 for steels, fibers, and springs) I couldnt beat it. 2 years and no problems. It paid for its self already.

bhillis99
08-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Don't run an EBC clutch and just follow the service manual as well as the hundreds of threads here on clutches for tips and tricks........

It isn't hard, nor is it easy if you don't have all the tools and know how.

Ok well i have searched but nothing really on what i asked. I will get either barnett or oem, dont want to have to do this job again.
I was reading my maunual and it says there are a couple of small orings that could be replaced, so I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything that the manual doesnt cover

dougspcs
08-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Ok well i have searched but nothing really on what i asked. I will get either barnett or oem, dont want to have to do this job again.
I was reading my maunual and it says there are a couple of small orings that could be replaced, so I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything that the manual doesnt cover

You need: Clutch set, side cover gasket, 27mm socket, impact wrench and standard hand tools..

Disassemble as per the manual until you get to the special tool part to remove the clutch basket. Then punch out the detent locking the clutch basket nut, hold the basket with your hand and spin the nut off with the impact..

Soak the clutch in oil prior to disassembly, swap the old for the new and put it all back together again..then change your oil and filter when you are done to ensure you didn't leave any dirt in the case during your work..

Oh yeah, don't break shlt while you are doing it..remember the old lady is 25 years old!!

This is a verbatum description(more or less) that DC , the resident demi-god, posted before when I did mine..

Easy as pie..done in about 1.5 hours..

bhillis99
08-16-2011, 05:03 PM
You need: Clutch set, side cover gasket, 27mm socket, impact wrench and standard hand tools..

Disassemble as per the manual until you get to the special tool part to remove the clutch basket. Then punch out the detent locking the clutch basket nut, hold the basket with your hand and spin the nut off with the impact..

Soak the clutch in oil prior to disassembly, swap the old for the new and put it all back together again..then change your oil and filter when you are done to ensure you didn't leave any dirt in the case during your work..

Oh yeah, don't break shlt while you are doing it..remember the old lady is 25 years old!!

This is a verbatum description(more or less) that DC , the resident demi-god, posted before when I did mine..

Easy as pie..done in about 1.5 hours..

alrighty! I appreciate. im off work next week, so Im going to give it a shot. Will probably have to borrow a 27mm socket and as far as the punch out, I guess I will have to burn that bridge when I get there.

bhillis99
08-16-2011, 05:06 PM
oldtime. was there anything that gave you a hard time? did all the orings look good? and do you soak the friction plates also?

Dirtcrasher
08-16-2011, 06:11 PM
The only o-rings you deal with are the ones for the oil filter and loop lines. Which, can be left intact during the job, just place the cover aside.

Clutch main shaft/nuts do not come off easy, whether you "put it in gear" or not, more than likely you need an impact gun. And I believe it is RH thread, check the book.

If you don't know how to file the basket, give it to someone who can. NEVER try to hold the basket with anything but your hand, or you will break a basket finger.

The most evil culprit during any engine disassemble is the oil itself. It helps all the little thin thrust washers stick to the back of stuff, or if you don't know it is suppose to be there, you forget it or find it in the oil drain pan.

I always grease the gasket and all the case cover bolt threads and it seems to make life easier the next time. polished threads look pretty, but then the zinc is gone and I always use an assembly lube of some sort....

P.S. THANKS DOC!!

bhillis99
08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks so much for the help, but im not 100% sure about filing the baskett. I have read that you just check the grooves? And I have a impact and the 27mm nut. Im supposed to hold the basket while i hit the 27mm with the impact?

Dirtcrasher
08-17-2011, 12:31 AM
If you don't hold it, it will just spin around. Once ou do it one ime, you'll feel dumb; It's very easy.

Many of us have a "feel" for how much it gets tightened......