PDA

View Full Version : New starter, still wont start

thenewguy
08-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I replaced the starter on my Klt 250 because it wouldn't start. It would turn over and I have fuel spark air and seems like good compression. But I can take the engine cover off and watch the starter clutch engage right at first and then disengage and not spin the motor over. I took the cam gear cover off and the valve covers off and can watch those spin. It turns over better without the spark plug in because then the starter clutch isnt fighting the compression. And thats how I know the top end is spinning freely. But once I put the spark plug back in the starter clutch engages at first then disengages. The battery is also brand new and fully charged. Should I order a new starter clutch off bike bandit?

thenewguy
08-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Also if I take the starter clutch out can I tell if its bad by any at home test I can do?

atc007
08-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Sounds like the starter clutch. Simple,it should spin one way easily,and lock solid the other way. If it's new to you,maybe someones been in there and lost or misplaced a barrel or spring. good luck,and welcome!

thenewguy
08-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll get it out and see what I come up with. On another note the screws that hold that cover and practically everything else on suck they strip out way to easy are there kits to replace with hex head? Just venting a little lol

squirrel1182
08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
On another note the screws that hold that cover and practically everything else on suck they strip out way to easy are there kits to replace with hex head? Just venting a little lol

Just go to your local hardware store with one of each length screw and get however many you need in allen heads. from my experience regular hex heads don't work too well. and if you get any that are stuck that have the Phillips head get one of them impacts that you hit with a hammer. they work fairly well.